Flag of Thailand additions

Thailand additions forum

the best authentic homestays in thailand

• davidjames

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2012

try visiting LAMAI HOMESTAY & tours in the north east of THAILAND
    www.lamai.homestay.com www thailandhomestay.com.
    responsible travel awards BEST HOMESTAY IN ASIA

#1 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 01:37

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

My father in laws farm. But he hasn't opened it to the public yet because the demand for sleeping near marauding ants, in a hot place with no AC, no hot water... isn't real high yet.

#2 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 01:38

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac
    Now that sounds authentic!
    We get these sorts back home living in a frigging teepee in the middle of a cold snowy winter.So enjoyable I'm sure.

So when you get captured by AQ it's ants for you :-)

I went over this subject of homestay in Cambodia section and if anybody would like to live like a genuine rural Cambodian let me know.I can fix them up.Gaurantee they'll be gone in the morning.
    On a serious note. I'm going to the village after Xmas and there is an empty house.
    Is this a viable business?
    Geniune Isan food thrown in.Lots of bugs, pela and gapi washed down with laow kaow.

#3 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 03:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Nope. Fantasy homestay only. And I'm OK with that, as long as we acknowledge what it is. I only object when people think they ought to get some extra backpacker cred when staying in a place custom made for foreigners and then labelled a homestay. The kids go home pretending they are all enlightened.

On a side note, we had a kid come stay in Don Tan on a high school exchange program. This kid had it made. The host family bought him a big screen TV, painted the house... every girl in the high school was ready to jump his bones. So what did he do? After six months he complained, he wanted to be in either Bangkok or Phuket. Ungrateful little *****. They should have sent him to a tiny village in a crappy hut.

#4 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 04:26

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

LOL

#5 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 07:36

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I did a homestay in Peru once (ok, not SE Asia but not entirely off-topic either). It was not squalor but it was very primitive also, no electricity, carpets, flush toilet (which I managed to block!). Beds were uncomfortable etc. I'm not complaining, it was brilliant. I also believe their living conditions were unaltered in aniticipation of our arrival. It does not sound anything like as bad as Cambodian living conditions but I believe it was a genuine "homestay" experience, as in we got to see, albeit briefly, an unsanitised version of how these people live their daily lives.

#6 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 08:09

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well China if you're interested I'll bet my father in law will let you stay at the house in exchange for helping him either plant or harvest the rice.

#7 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 08:35

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

It's a tempting offer MM but it might be a while before I'm back to Asia. Gonna try and see some of Europe properly first.

I'm guessing your father in law lives in relative luxury...or am I wide of the mark?

#8 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 08:52

• davidjames

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2012

what a moronic lot you are! 2 or 3 seem to live on this site!you want to actually read our web site before commenting garbage!better still get your mum to read it to you.Madmac you seem to have consumed most of the bull ssshit on your daddy's farm,as for Sayaadian lay of the fire water !you know Indians have a low tolerance of alcohol.p.s. obviously your furthest travel in reality is the out side toilet.tents dont have an on suite like ours.

#9 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 09:18

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

And the spammer has thrown his toys out of the pram.

#10 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 09:28

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

You're out of order my friend.Writing in block capitals like that is just plain bad etiquette.Perhaps you'd like to explain your problem. I,can't speak for Madmac but I've stayed in villages in Cambodia and Thailand although, in the case of Thailand, it's a long time ago and as I said I hear things have changed for the better.Tapped water and electricity now.
    I stayed with a family in Kampong Speu, Cambodia and they were pretty representative of the people there.The roof leaked, the animals shared the house and the toilet.. well you were just told to head out into the fields.
    I've got nothing against people playing at living like a peasant. Enjoy but don't tell us it's the real deal because I know it isn't. BTW that's one example in Cambodia I have plenty of others.

#11 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 09:29

• davidjames

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2012

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPITALS SON.I JUST THOUGHT EASIER FOR YOU TO READ.before you spout off verbal diarrhea regarding OUR homestay which annually for 14yrs. wins world wide awards from WORLD Responsible Travel for our contribution to the people and children living in Thailand poorest area ISAN,and also for giving the most authentic
    DAY view and interacting with rural life AND TRUE CULTURE., yet returning each night to 5 star European standard accommodation.we do not allow idiots like you just trying to prove something by slumming it, then going home to complain!! i think our 5.000 plus recommendations from world wide clients on Google may agree!

#12 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 09:49

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

But how do your visitors cope with your temper tantrums?

#13 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 09:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I'm guessing your father in law lives in relative luxury...or am I wide of the mark?"

He thinks he does. I renovated his house the first time I came to Thailand because I needed something to do and the house needed the work. I also bought him enough land so he's economically self-sufficient. But he rides an old motorbike, he doesn't dress sharp expect when he goes to see his woman, and the house - well it needs a womans touch. But everything is relative. He's happy. That's what counts.

"Madmac you seem to have consumed most of the bull ssshit on your daddy's farm"

Just keeping it real David.

#14 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 12:16

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

OK, so David, I looked at your website, and the place seems nice and pleasant and you offer tours and so forth. And that's all good. What Sayadian and I object to is the use of the word "authentic". There is nothing "authentic" about you place. That doesn't mean it's bad. But look up the definition of the word authentic and then look at your place and then reference back to how the people of Issan live (which you know full well). Your place is clean, nicely crafted, I'll bet you even have western toilets and hot water. That is not authentic Issan living. So it's not a knock on your place, but what you are doing is providing a comfortable abode from which people, if they so choose, can engage in cultural tourism. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not an "authentic homestay".

#15 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 12:23

• davidjames

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2012

are you two this months standing joke on fish?sounds like love on cyber space .get out side, get a life.your ok though once you grow up ! preferably 18+ same sex marriage is ok in Thailand.! as i said you are totaly void of reality ! actually there is not one home in ANY remote location in ISAN that does not have running water and flushing toilets.it is only in your cartoon books that they all appear in straw huts.as for your objections,who cares what a pair of 12 yr.olds think???as for temper? far from it, we here are all pissing our selves laughing at your ignorance & stupidity !

#16 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 13:00

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

David, you have issues man.

"actually there is not one home in ANY remote location in ISAN"

Do you really believe this?

#17 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 13:08

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I guess a squat would count as a flush toilet.
    Hey guys. I've heard we have new towers going up so I'll be able to get better internet instead of this 1G system I'm on. The wife says we should get wi-fi for the shop for all the tourists.
    I like the dark block letters. It does make it easier for me to read.

#18 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 18:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well you flush it with a bowl of water...

Neosho - you get a lot of tourists coming by your place.

That is not to say the progress out here hasn't been impressive. In the last 15 years dad's village has gone from one paved road in town, part time electricity, no running water, two telephones, no medical services and a small school built by the US Army to having paved roads, running water, full time electricity, a small clinic, internet, cell phone service... Life has really improved. But it still isn't urban America, which Lamai "Homestay" is - or it's close tropical cousin.

#19 Posted: 26/10/2012 - 23:00

• davidjames

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2012

hello father fetish M.M. obviously these miniscule messages from your brain are being transmitted via a space where a Normal human farts through,however please please keep the waste matter coming as we have now reached 2nd position on the notice board.my dad will be pleased as he said no 12yr.old of my age could ever achieve this in just 1 day ! ;)he obviously did not account for me finding little morons such as you and you friend to bait !!!!!!

#20 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 00:24

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Go on Tripadvisor and give his place a bad review.You don't need to have been there to know for sure he's not the kind of person who'd be very welcoming.
    Save some poor bastard a miserable experience with this arsehole.
    I think he was in the SS by the way he speaks.
    No, now I know who he is.It's Basil Fawlty

#21 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 02:43

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Wow David, so you're in charge of PR for this place?

#22 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 03:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Let's not be too hard on the guy. It was probably just an overreaction in defense of his business. He might well be justifiably proud of what he's doing and saw our critique as hyper-critical.

#23 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 05:35

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac.
    There's a job for you with the U.N.
    ;-)
    He got me a little angry and I suspect I over-reacted too

#24 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 06:56

• davidjames

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2012

i see i rattled a few cages ?
    SOMTAM. i see you noted a lack of our
    (14yrs established in Thailand) P.R.
    sorry we reserve this P.R. for actual Brain Functioning members of the human race.as yet i see no evidence of this on this forum.if this is typical of your clientele BUDDHA HELP YOU ALL!

#25 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 07:40

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Must have lost his prescription for mania. Can you imagine staying at this guys place. I will copy all his comments and transfer them to TripAdvisor.Might save some poor people paying to listen to this!

#26 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 12:31

• davidjames

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2012

sad case of another sponging immigrant on our British soil.a nobody in the outside world,kicked out of most countries or is that another fantasy?i guess this pathetic 3 person forum is your only little haven to get rid of the frustration at rejection by your fellow man.cant say i blame them.you appear by your written word to be the most boring little squirt imaginable.i wont humiliate or destroy further your C.P. cred .
    its obviously all you have.and i have read enough of your little yelps of anguish.
    so i bid you farewell and salute you with the very same 2 fingers i begrudgingly typed this reply.

#27 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 14:45

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

wow. i thought you guys were very nice to davidjames, all things considered. i have to wonder how the guests deal with those tantrums too. i'd like to hear more about neosho's shop near ubon, because i know i won't be visiting lamai homestay anytime soon...

#28 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 15:47

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Madmac.....No we don't get tourists. I'm the only farang in a 20 klick radius. Everyone knows me and where I live whether I know them or not. :) We do get the occasional visitor thats married into someone's distant relative.
    Exacto....Come on if you're really , really bored. LOL I would have to lead you in though. I have to draw maps to get things delivered.
    Back to the thread. What is the typical Thai lifestyle now. Someone one born and raised in Bangkok has a totally different life than someone here. We all seem to acknowledge that village life is changing. Here you see grandma sitting under the house weaving cloth on a loom made of tree branches and son has a new pickup in the drive.

#29 Posted: 27/10/2012 - 20:14

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I've put a link to this thread on his review section in Trip Advisor. Should get him some bookings. not!
    I did try to inform him but his website stinks, nothing works.

#30 Posted: 29/10/2012 - 02:41

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Somtam....Don't get rid of this guy yet. I'm actually enjoying it with my morning coffee. I do realize that is a pathetic existence but what can I say. I live in an authentic Thai village and there isn't much else to do.

#31 Posted: 29/10/2012 - 05:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Sounds depressing Neosho. I'm going to the Bangkok Salsa Festival this weekend. Want to go?

#32 Posted: 29/10/2012 - 07:08

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Thanks for the offer but we have the rice boat festival here. Not quite as impressive as the Candle festival but still good. I also have to figure out how we're going to get some Cobras out of a stack of concrete blocks. That's probably going to cost me more than 1 bottle of Lao Khao.

#33 Posted: 29/10/2012 - 19:07

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Just shoot the cobras. Drive them out with fire... Easy.

"The Candle Festival"?? I'm festivaled out. This week we had the boat races. BORING. Loy Kratong is OK, for about an hour or so. I have no interest in these kind of events anymore though, to be honest.

#34 Posted: 29/10/2012 - 23:48

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Me too actually but the wife likes to go everyother year or so. I take it you have never been to the candle festival here. These are wax works of art. Some are so big they have to be on a 40 flat bed, pulled by a semi. The bigger ones are sponsored by big business and the artists work on them all year. The event has really grown and they come from all over. Now that's one I do like to go too. Ask Captain Bob about the "Flower Festival" in Chaing Mai. The floats in the parade are made of flowers and flower buds. Beautiful stuff and you won't believe the detail work. But then I appreciate that kind of stuff

#35 Posted: 30/10/2012 - 19:29

• ArunaandChai

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2013

Apart from the home stay of David, does anybody know of other places that offer home stays in Thailand.

Myself and my husband run a B&B in Koh Lanta and it is pretty close to a Home Stay experience and I would like to create some kind of network of other home stays in Thailand.

Thanks for your help.

#36 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 10:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

David Crow runs a nice place out in the sticks of Mukdahan Province. He's sappy in his descriptives here (advertising purposes) but he's a really nice guy who runs a good place that can give you some great exposure to rural Issan living without living like an animal. Here's the link:

http://www.thaihouse-isaan.com/

#37 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 20:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.