Flag of Thailand additions

Thailand additions forum

Rock Sand, Koh Chang, renewed

• rocksand

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2009

Please add Rock Sand on White Sand Beach, Koh Chang, to your site. Here you can stay an enjoy the beautiful view of sea, tides and sunset.

#1 Posted: 8/11/2009 - 20:52

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I stayed at Rock Sand more than 10 years ago. It is set up on a little headland which separates the main part of White Sand beach from the nicer northern section where White Sand Resort is located. At high tide it is often difficult to wade around this little headland so people have to climb up through Rock Sand's great restaurant deck virtually overhanging the water.
    Back then the place had a collection of pretty basic bungalows - mine was virtually a lean-to against the cliff with no back wall apart from the cliffside rock - hey, I was paying 50 baht. The resort was run by HENK - a very laid back young Dutch guy. Around sunset was a great time up on the second storey balcony, when a bunch of Henk's long-term traveller friends would collect for some r&r

I revisited White Sand last February - wow, Rock Sand had scrubbed up nicely! - looks flashpacker to maybe even lower midrange. I'm thinking of staying a few nights this coming March, unfortunately the website does'nt give a lot of info about rooms, prices etc.
    http://www.rocksand-resort.com/en/Resort.html

I did notice the resort still seems to have a Dutch link. I wonder if Henk is still there?

#2 Posted: 20/11/2009 - 13:41

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

I know this place too. I never stayed there, but I enjoyed a few meals and/or beers with a view from the restaurant deck. From the pictures on their website, I agree with tezza that the place has scrubbed up nicely.

The best part of this beach was that it was at least a 1 km walk from the nearest road, so you could be on busy Ko Chang and the developed White Sand Beach area but still be comfortable distance from the crowds and noise.

#3 Posted: 21/11/2009 - 08:18

• rocksand

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2009

No, Tezza, Henk is not there any more. We, Annlies, Joost en Fred, are new owners and yes we scrubbed up the place. Now there you can see the woman's touch in it all. On the outside, the paintings and such, and on the inside, the food, the linnen. The website has been rebuilt www.rocksand-resort.com and you shuold be able to get all the information you need there. Or let me know.

#4 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 20:47

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Got back to Rocksand late March 2010.

Our first room, #4, a "Beach Room With Fan, Bathroom (hotwater) and Seaview Terrace" was frankly terrible - small, cramped, stuffy, very difficult to access/leave bed if sleeping on the wall side and didn't want to disturb partner, very small bathroom. Limited space on door side of bed plus medium area behind foot of bed for bags etc but very difficult to access. No hooks or storage units.
    This cost 900 without breakfast on the net when we booked.I reckon it is worth 500 max, and only because of the hotwater.
    We only lasted one night...

...which worked out pretty well, because a cheaper top floor "Sea View Room with Terrace" overlooking the restaurant deck and out to sea was available. It was airy and spacious, with a big king sized bed which would sleep 3 adults, another single bed, and enough space for 4 people's gear. Plenty of storage but no wardrobe, good lights, quiet fan. Clean. Outside bathroom short distance down hall - actually one toilet-shower room and a separate hw shower room. And further toilets/showers downstairs behind the restaurant. We paid 700b (now 600 on the website). I reckon it was well worth 700. would be a bargain with 3 or 4 budget travellers sharing.
    Sweet views from the lengthy seaview terrace. Really nice sunsets over the ocean directly west meaning lots of time sitting here working on the elcheapo Chateau Cardboard Aussie red. Nostalgia trip back to '98 sunsets sitting in the same place when it was an open decked upstairs bar - with even better consumables.

Rocksand has a few trad-type backpacker fan bungalows with bathrooms built up the slope behind the main structure, although new owner Joost has plans for this area. There are also upstairs seaview aircon rooms looked okay to us and one very nice seaview family unit in a separate block to the north which appeared midrange standard to me.

Because of its strategic position and views, Rocksand's bar/restaurant tended to attract a good crowd of visitors from neighbouring and distant resorts. Umbrellas are set up when sunshine hits max. Food is good but prices tend to be 20-40% more than average backpacker/flashpacker standard. No worries - other budget alternatives adjacent. Behind the restaurant deck is a covered area with more tables and then a nice lounging area with cushions, and small tables. The whole area had free wi-fi.

Overall, Rocksand is a pretty good place if you don't pick the Beach Rooms with Fan. But not perfect:
    Food/drink prices could be lower (but there was certainly no lack of customers - someone from nearby super-posh KC GRANDE would find the prices knock down low).
    Access is a bit of a bummer - basically we carted our bags through the beach access alley next to the 7/eleven where the main road from the mountain pass first hits the township's main street and then dragged them the 400m further north along the beach. The place does have a 4wd which comes in through White Sand Beach resort's steep access road about 3km up the pass and parks next to Mayalamean about 80m north of Rocksand - but there is no mention any pick-up service when you book. Places like nearby Star Beach have a trolley on bicycle wheels which a staff member pushes along the beach.
    When we booked in all hot and sweaty after our beach trek with luggage there was no welcoming cool drink. There were no first-day bottles of water in the room. For a place aspiring to flashpacker standards (and better - the most expensive room is midrange priced) these are unusual omissions.

#5 Posted: 25/4/2010 - 16:38

• kjanvier

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2010

I stayed at Rock Sand on Koh Chang for a week at the end of this past April and wanted to say what a great time I had there. With a mix of low to midrange rooms, it will accommodate simple and cushioned travelers alike; but with the sand at your doorstep, beachside massages, and a well-staffed restaurant overhanging the water, you won’t be spending much time in your room no matter what level of comfort you go for.

We began in the owner’s suite (it is rented when they are away) and were welcomed with flowers on the beds and towels folded into elephants. There was bottled water in the refrigerator and a gorgeous view of the sunset from our private balcony; a great reward after our trek across the beach from the seven-eleven (there is no direct road to Rock Sand, which means it is a nicely secluded beach without too many farang crowding the shady spots on the sand… but it also means the short walk to check in is one of only a few ‘inconveniences’ that help make Rock Sand and Thailand more memorable). After a few days in plush up-town style, we moved to a much smaller room in the back of the resort with air-conditioning but no view, but as I said before… we weren’t inside very often so it didn’t make much difference.

The staff are friendly, if shy, and the new owners are happy to answer questions about activities on the island or to hear any suggestions you may have to make your stay more enjoyable. When we were there, Annalies had just bought new deck furniture, the rooms were all getting a fresh coat of paint, the sheets and comforters had all been recently replaced, and I heard hammocks were on the way.

At night the waters rise to cut off the main beach passage in front of the resort, so those out for a starlit stroll are encouraged to walk through the active bar and restaurant or pause for a drink from the full bar in the elevated lounge area next to the indoor fish pond. There is even a kids’ deck with toys and games to keep the youngest guests happy while their parents enjoy the sea breeze with the rest. Though the second cocktail bar, made from an old Thai longboat, was closed during low season, it looks like a great place to clink glasses when the rains return. Like the restaurant, it also looks over the water and bathes in orange light at sunset every night.

We spent most of our mornings rising late, eating fresh fruit breakfasts at the restaurant, grabbing a smoothie, a towel, and a book from the take-one-leave-one bookshelf, and hitting the beach for a relaxing afternoon, an evening waterside massage, and cocktails at the bar before dinner. But we also spent plenty of time exploring the island as well. With free Wi-Fi throughout the restaurant and lounge we were able to compare and contrast different snorkeling companies, call ahead for elephant rides, and make reservations with Ka-Ti Culinary School (one of the best experiences I had in my three weeks in Thailand!)

Overall, I had a great stay at Rock Sand and am jealous of your future days there. Enjoy them!

#6 Posted: 30/6/2010 - 02:04

• tianyaguke

Joined Travelfish
    28th May, 2010

Read the Island Guide. Koh Chang island is pretty big and different beaches attract a different type of visitor. Discover which beach area is suited to the type of holiday you are looking for, whether it be beer and hookers or peace and quiet.

#7 Posted: 2/7/2010 - 21:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Rock Sand Resort, Koh Chang ... By rocksand on 23 Aug 2012 1 1180 25 Oct 2012
Help me chose a hotel in Koh Chang's White Sand Beach ... By AprilJef on 20 Dec 2012 4 1849 20 Dec 2012