Books forum

Availability of English language reading materials in SE Asia

• ms1892

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2009

I am setting of on Tuesday for a 2 month trip around SE Asia.

I love reading and dont think i could bear the long flights and trains etc without a good book. Is it easy to find English language books, particularly in Cambodia and Vietnam? If so, is there usually a good selection and are they reasonably priced?

Is it foolish of me to be considering carrying a backpack of books around with me?

M.

#1 Posted: 2/4/2010 - 18:35

• Advertisement

• Dylan

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2009

Ha--I had the same concerns when I was over there recently. I ended up bringing 3-4 books from home to hold me over until I could find an english-lang. bookstore, of which there are many (of varying quality). I also managed to trade with fellow backpackers...with mixed results. Some pulp, some good stuff.

In cambodia especially, you'll encounter a glut of the same 10-12 photocopied books that seller/street vendors assume western travelers are into--a few on the Khmer Rouge, a few recent bestsellers, a gratuitous marijuana-heavy travelogue, etc. Your best bet is in Phnom Penh, where you can pick up some quality books at brick-and-mortor stores (I copped Crime and Punishment and a Tom Robbins paperback) for not too much $.

Saigon has a few choice spots as well in the usual backpacker and expat quarters. Just don't expect much $ if you're trading in old books.

In the end, I lugged around 4-5 books at all times, some read, some on queue, just to make sure I was never caught without something to read on those interminable bus/train/boat trips.

#2 Posted: 2/4/2010 - 23:38

• ms1892

Joined Travelfish
    23rd December, 2009

Thanks for the reply Dylan. It pretty much confirms what I had suspected.

I am probably going to take a fair few books with me anyway. Im sure I can swap them on the way and if the worst comes to the worst and I have to dump them to save on the weight, I guess i can live with that.

Of course I really blame Steig Larsson for my current dilema. I am about 50 pages into the first of the Millennium trilogy and so in addition to the reading materials I was planning on taking im now going to have to cart around all three of his books too! Oh well, what is another 1800 odd pages!?!

#3 Posted: 3/4/2010 - 07:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Volunteer at English Language School, Stung Treng, Cambodia ... By chikey on 10 Mar 2011 0 4636 10 Mar 2011
Volunteer in an English language school in Siem Reap, Cambodia ... By vietnamobsessed on 19 Jan 2010 7 7101 8 Aug 2012
Long-term English Language Teaching Volunteer Wanted in Siem Reap ... By mrdome on 22 Apr 2011 2 4366 25 Apr 2011
Waxing availability in SE Asia??? Question for Ladies. ... By phishsticks on 11 Nov 2011 4 4285 22 Nov 2011