Photo: Paper all the way.

Books forum

SE Asia on a shoestring or the grater mekong?

Posted by Ignas on 10/1/2011 at 17:32

Hi everyone

Planning to go Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand and wondering which book is suit better for a traveler on low budget but going only to these four countries, because SE Asia on a shoestring includes much more countries than I am going to visit, but it focuses on low budget, and the Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & the greater Mekong is exactly on these mentioned countries. So which one u can advice to me?

#1 Ignas has been a member since 24/9/2010. Posts: 16

Posted by eastwest on 10/1/2011 at 20:19

I'd say go for the most recent one.
Both are probably a bit outdated and use this site for the latest news and additions.

In general I think you're better off with the shoestring one which is better aimed at your budget and interests. I found my Greater Mekong lacking in certain areas where I wanted to go. It also just gives some rough outlines (just like the Shoestring) though the only advantage of it would be the size and weight which is considerably less than the Shoestring.

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by francesstella on 10/1/2011 at 21:36

Hi Ignas,

When I left on my trip I got all the initial information I needed on Travelfish. Once I got to Bangkok I bought a Rough Guide covering all the countries I wanted to visit at a fifth of the price in bookstores at home. Now that's low budget! :)

If you're really set on buying a guide I'd go for the one that covers the countries you want to visit. Budget travelling is super feasible everywhere in SEA, I don't reckon you need a specific guide to help you.

Have fun!

FSH

#3 francesstella has been a member since 16/2/2009. Location: Italy. Posts: 95

Posted by busylizzy on 11/1/2011 at 02:19

Travelfish have the better guides (better, more reliable info) i my opinion. And if you print them out, you can throw away the pages as you go. (I know that goes against TF philisophy, but I like to have something to read while on a bus or having lunch.

Use the Free Guides link at the top....

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by caseyprich on 11/1/2011 at 06:55

I use the Greater Mekong as an outline to look through - but I don't take it with me, I find it doesn't really have that much data. Usually I'll photocopy the maps and note down one or two locations for different accommodations that I'm considering (based on TF and not on the review made in the lonely planet). I've always thought the SE Asia on a Shoestring was too large to travel with - that said, the Greater Mekong doesn't include the Thai Islands, which is one place where you really would need the shoestring budget information.

If you know where you'll be going you can also bring a lot of travel fish guides (especially the old ones that are pre-made) on a USB drive and find somewhere to print them off as you go country to country, pre-printing any that you absolutely know you'll use.

#5 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.