Books forum

SE Asia on a shoestring or the grater mekong?

• Ignas

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2010

Hi everyone

Planning to go Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand and wondering which book is suit better for a traveler on low budget but going only to these four countries, because SE Asia on a shoestring includes much more countries than I am going to visit, but it focuses on low budget, and the Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & the greater Mekong is exactly on these mentioned countries. So which one u can advice to me?

#1 Posted: 10/1/2011 - 17:32

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I'd say go for the most recent one.
    Both are probably a bit outdated and use this site for the latest news and additions.

In general I think you're better off with the shoestring one which is better aimed at your budget and interests. I found my Greater Mekong lacking in certain areas where I wanted to go. It also just gives some rough outlines (just like the Shoestring) though the only advantage of it would be the size and weight which is considerably less than the Shoestring.

#2 Posted: 10/1/2011 - 20:19

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

Hi Ignas,

When I left on my trip I got all the initial information I needed on Travelfish. Once I got to Bangkok I bought a Rough Guide covering all the countries I wanted to visit at a fifth of the price in bookstores at home. Now that's low budget! :)

If you're really set on buying a guide I'd go for the one that covers the countries you want to visit. Budget travelling is super feasible everywhere in SEA, I don't reckon you need a specific guide to help you.

Have fun!

FSH

#3 Posted: 10/1/2011 - 21:36

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Travelfish have the better guides (better, more reliable info) i my opinion. And if you print them out, you can throw away the pages as you go. (I know that goes against TF philisophy, but I like to have something to read while on a bus or having lunch.

Use the Free Guides link at the top....

#4 Posted: 11/1/2011 - 02:19

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I use the Greater Mekong as an outline to look through - but I don't take it with me, I find it doesn't really have that much data. Usually I'll photocopy the maps and note down one or two locations for different accommodations that I'm considering (based on TF and not on the review made in the lonely planet). I've always thought the SE Asia on a Shoestring was too large to travel with - that said, the Greater Mekong doesn't include the Thai Islands, which is one place where you really would need the shoestring budget information.

If you know where you'll be going you can also bring a lot of travel fish guides (especially the old ones that are pre-made) on a USB drive and find somewhere to print them off as you go country to country, pre-printing any that you absolutely know you'll use.

#5 Posted: 11/1/2011 - 06:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.