Books forum

Lets Go Thailand

• bluenote

Joined Travelfish
    21st December, 2011
    Location United States

Hi all,

I've really enjoyed the Let's Go guides in past travels elsewhere in the world, and in planning my upcoming trip found that the Let's Go Thailand book was most recently published in 2009. Given that the info for this was probably gathered in 2008 (or before), is it likely to be out of date for a trip in early 2012? I'm not sure how rapidly the dining and accommodation listings are likely to change in Thailand (i.e. businesses closing/opening). Thoughts on what to purchase?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 15:33

• Advertisement

• bluenote

Joined Travelfish
    21st December, 2011
    Location United States

No responses... bummer.

In case others are interested, I decided to buy Let's Go. Lonely Planet has a new version coming out soon, which will probably be everyone's go to given the updated information, but right now all the books are a few years old. I thought Rough Guide had more background info that would have been nice to bring along relative to Let's Go, but LG does a better job organizing the details about hostels/restaurants/sites that you actually need. For every listing, they have an italicized section after the description with hours, prices, transit, and other details, whereas I felt I had to work to find this info in RG. Also, the maps are slightly different in all 3 books, which I guess means there is no absolute standard map. I think all are fine choices, having spent too much time deciding. Hopefully will be a great trip!

#2 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 07:37

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

I like Let's Go. Their books are well written. I also have a RG and a LP. The LG is whole of Thailand and the others are beaches and islands. They all have useful points but LG writing style is better. Less waffle and more to the point.

#3 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 11:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Lonely Planet is irritating. Written in an irritating style, painting a phony picture of Thailand anyway, using verbal images that would fit Thailand maybe 40 years ago but are now lost in a time warp. If I read Mukdahan again described as a "sleepy town" I'm going to puke. Yeah, 30 years ago it was a sleepy town. Time doesn't stand still though.

#4 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 14:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.