Books forum

books on travelling round the world

• Dhagmara

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2010

Any recommendations as far as books dealing with lazy travelling round the world are concerned?
    Would you know about any fairly recent accounts of prolonged land trips around more temperate regions of the world on a shoestring? Not that much interested in polar regions, posh hotels or touristy destinations. But we'd appreciate any funny or educational stories, in-depth guidebooks, gripping and factual accounts - just a good read or two that will enhance our idea of an elderly couple spending a year or so travelling between the tropics around the world. Any suggestions please?

#1 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 05:57

• Advertisement

• squaretheci-
    rcle

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2011
    Total reviews: 5

An old post, but "The Writer and the World", a collection of essays by V.S. Naipaul, might be loosely related to what you're looking for.

#2 Posted: 14/10/2012 - 11:31

• Dhagmara

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2010

Hello! Thanks for your suggestion. I don't know the name but surely I'll give his/her essays a try!

#3 Posted: 14/10/2012 - 15:09

• squaretheci-
    rcle

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2011
    Total reviews: 5

He's a Trinidad-born Indian (as in South Asian Indian) who comments on some of the places and events he's seen. It's much different than some travelogues in that he gives an in-depth, critical view of events, political/social/otherwise he sees during his travels as part of his career as a writer. He also won the Nobel Prize in Literature in the early 2000's. I've just skimmed a bit of the book after buying it last month, but it sounds like you may dig it.

#4 Posted: 15/10/2012 - 10:31

• Dhagmara

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2010

I checked Mr. Naipaul immediately yesterday and much to my shame I had to admit I had known about him as a Nobel prize winner but totally forgot the name. I also tried to get the book via booklooker but they only had hardcover expensive copies; I'll look around for it.
    Truth to tell, I'm not that much attracted to Africa, I mean here his Zaire stories,but we are definitely much intrigued by India.
    Something different: I seem to have failed to find on this forum any more systematic entries concerning books / travelogues.

#5 Posted: 15/10/2012 - 14:04

• Gamble

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2012

hi,

i recentley came across a book called 'Going to Extremes'. I can not remember the name of the author, I think his first name is Nick.

Anyway I think it is a book to go with a documentry he did (havent seen it myself) where goes to the coldest place on earth (Siberia), the hottest, ( a village in Ethopia), the wettest (a part of India) and the driest (a part of Chile).

I havent read the whole book myself, as I said I came across it by accident, read the first chapter and decided to buy it, but from what I have read it may be something you are interested in.

#6 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 07:02

• FishyGigi

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2012

I personally enjoyed reading through Triumph around the world by Robbie Marshalls when I was travelling the Med last season. There is some talk that there will be some youtube footage too, im keeping my figners crossed as I loved iT!

#7 Posted: 12/11/2012 - 04:38

• Letsgosafar-
    is

Joined Travelfish
    6th February, 2014

I will suggest you to read "Journey of a lifetime-500".It is a very good book to study during travel.During my safaris tour in kenya I read this book.It is very intresting..Read this...

#8 Posted: 17/4/2014 - 23:46

• Travis_Chia

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2014

Hi,
    Hey Letsgosafaris, you are right. I too had read Journey of a lifetime-500. Really, Its an awesome book I ever read.

#9 Posted: 22/4/2014 - 02:37

• Terry001

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2014

I enjoyed reading through Triumph around the world by Robbie Marshalls.

#10 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 06:46

• Advertisement

• Grubert

Click here to learn more about Grubert
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2014

Anything by Paul Theroux is good, though he doesn't exactly do around-the-world trips (it's all more cross-continental). My favourites are Dark Star Safari and The Old Patagonian Express. Equally excellent Robert Kaplan's The Ends of the Earth and eastward to Tartary.

#11 Posted: 28/4/2014 - 19:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Using a travel money card while travelling round Asia ... By siquick on 7 Mar 2011 0 3383 7 Mar 2011