Photo: Paper all the way.

Books forum

lonely planet vietnam and cambodia

Posted by aldoscriba on 12/10/2012 at 07:14

Esteemed travelers

Im off to cambodia and vietnam for 2 months (via bangkok) and was wondering whether it might not be more cost effective to purchase my travel guides in bangkok (where I might stay for two days or so) instead of home (RSA). I should imagine (english) vietnam and cambodia travel guides being widely available in bangkok, especially in the backpacker areas. Is this the case? If so, where would I buy them? Ill be staying around the khaosan road area.

Peace out.

#1 aldoscriba has been a member since 21/12/2011. Posts: 7

Posted by daawgon on 12/10/2012 at 09:30

If you're staying in the smaller hotels/hostels, I think you will find plenty of recent editions of LP just lying around. You will soon discover that LP info is considerably out of date - esp concerning prices and accommodation (Travelfish info is far more up to date - download their guides and print them out).

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by aldoscriba on 12/10/2012 at 09:50

Thanks for the reply daawgon, but will I be able to purchase these guides lying around? Surely I cant just take them with me. Youre right about the fish being more up to date and the LP's being outdated. However, for reasons not germane to this thread, I still want an LP for each of these two countries.

(on an entirely unrelated matter - why does my profile reflect me as a "longtail driver"?)

#3 aldoscriba has been a member since 21/12/2011. Posts: 7

Posted by busylizzy on 12/10/2012 at 15:58

There are quite a lot of 2nd hand bookshops around the place, so you may find them there (but would imagine they get snapped up quickly). Also, in Cambodia you will find a gazillion street sellers hawking off their counterfeit versions of them cheaply - photocopied books essentially. (I'm not suggesting that buying counterfeit is a good thing, of course....)

Personally, I have taken both LP and TF guides in the past, and aside from the maps, generally find the TF guides more useful.

The longtail driver thing... is just something 'fun' built into the forum. I think your 'status' is a reflection of the number of posts that you've made. Keep posting and you'll be a 'noodle lady' before you know it!

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by sayadian on 13/10/2012 at 07:11

Yes, just sit on the Riverside with a drink in Phnom Penh and like magic everything you want will appear, usually accompanied by a cheeky kid. A big of haggling is expected.

I found second-hand books in KSR grossly overpriced.

Lizzie
when do I make mahout?
;-)

#5 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by aldoscriba on 14/10/2012 at 16:38

Thanks for the help and explanations guys.

#6 aldoscriba has been a member since 21/12/2011. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.