admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

When I'm travelling on longish trips I read a lot -- not always about the countries I'm travelling in. So here's some of my favourite titles that I just grabbed off he shelves -- one I'm reading now (the Malay Archipelago) and others I've read many times!

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
    Set in Africa's Congo during the colonial period, this was a (very) rough base for the hit Vietnam epic Apocalypse Now. The book is far far far better than the movie! Ideally read on the bank of a river.
    Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
    I was a very late one to Capote and while I've read this now a couple of times, my first reading was in a single very long sitting, at a streetside pho stall in Saigon. Towards the end of the day a cyclo driver joined me and waxed lyrical about who he loved the book -- and the movie.

River of Time by John Swain
    While I've read many books on the Indochinese conflict, this, and perhaps Ravens by Christopher Robbins are two of the very best. Swain does an incredible job of capturing war-era Phnom Penh. Fascinating and heartbreaking.

Before Kampuchea: Preludes to Tragedy by Milton Osborne
    I've mentioned this in another thread -- it delivers a fascinating insight into the period before and after the Khmer Rouge period. You'll struggle not to think -- wow, I wish I was there in the 50's!

Krakatoa by Simon Winchester
    While the erruption of the volcano is the focal point of the novel, this is just a great rollicking travel tale with a fabulous insight to colonial-period Indonesia.

The Year of Living Dangerously by Christopher J. Koch
    Still on Indonesia, and also made into a movie, this is a vital bit of reading if you want to get a bit of an insight into some of Indonesia's most tumultuous years.

The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton
    While de Botton has his share of detractors, I really loved this book and have read and reread it numerous times. his talk of appreciating the colours of the places you travel in, in particular, is excellent. Fascinating yet not too hard on the brain.

The Shadow of the Sun by Rysard Kapuscinski
    A man sadly no longer with us, Kapuscinski was the Polish foriegn correspondent for the entire world and while he wrote a bunch of books, this is his best. A grade travel experiences through Africa. Read it in Africa, Asia or at home!

The Carpet Wars by Christopher Kremmer
    Kremmer traces the ongoing issues through central Asia and the Middle East through the travails and experiences of carper merchants. Sounds dry and boring but you couldn't be further off the mark -- one of my absolute favourites.

What I'm reading now:
    The Malay Archipelago by Alferd Russel Wallace
    Peer only to Charles Darwin for the knowledge he garnered from the world around him, Wallace's experiences in 19th century SE Asia are simply fascinating. Bali really has changed a lot!

#1 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 08:15

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The Ravens - if you are going to Laos, this is a good read on the Secret War.

#2 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 12:59

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I just picked up Heart of Darkness for 99p and The Ravens for a staggering £9.00 second hand! [i think it is out of print in the UK as i can only find second hand copies]

On my fairly recent trip i read Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee in one day of idling. A good read, although it is far from a light-hearted holiday read. I also finally got round to reading Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell. For me, this is a must read. I have just finished reading Burmise Days also by Orwell. It is, what seems like, a good glimpse into colonial era Burma and another good read.

#3 Posted: 12/12/2009 - 22:25

• Mike_V

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2009

http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/results

#4 Posted: 13/12/2009 - 18:18

• Mike_V

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2009

Oops,

What I meant to post was the Heart of Darkness is available on Project Gutenberg.

#5 Posted: 13/12/2009 - 18:19

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Two personal favorites (in addition to some noted above):

"Travels with a Tangerine" by Tim Mackintosh-Smith (Mackintosh-Smith set out to replicate the travels of Ibn Battutah of Tangier, who left in 1325 to make a pilgrimage to Mecca and did not return for almost 30 years).

"Bitter Lemons" by Lawrence Durrell (about Durrell's time in Cyprus in the early 1950's).

#6 Posted: 13/2/2010 - 12:17

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

My goodness - such a list could almost be endless! Just a few of my favourites, for what it's worth...........
    The Wind-up Bird Chronicle Haruki Murakami
    My Life As A Fake Peter Carey
    The Alchemy of Desire Tarun J Tejpal
    Reef Romesh Gunesekera
    The Secret History Donna Tartt
    anything by Paul Bowles
    The Romantics Pankaj Mishra
    The Beach Alex Garland
    Heroes & Villains Angela Carter
    Running in the Family Michael Ondaatje
    Eating the Flowers of Paradise Kevin Rushby
    Paul Theroux take your pick
    oh this is ridiculous.......I could go on and on and on and you're probably not reading this anymore blah blah blah

#7 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 22:26

• ellencarroll

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2013

Thanks for this nice collection.
    I have read Heart of Darkness. It's a great read.

#8 Posted: 26/2/2013 - 06:09

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

The list certainly is endless! For me, recent re-readings include Alec Waugh's Bangkok and A Dragon Apparent by Norman Lewis. The Eland Press is great if you like your travel narrative a bit old.

#9 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 00:12

• Starving_So-
    und

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2013
    Location United States

It might be a long time since mentioned but you can get The Ravens on Amazon Kindle for 1.50 now.

#10 Posted: 8/3/2013 - 15:13

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I hated Heart of Darkness. It's written in that oh so annoying, pontificating style of post modern writers. I'll take Hemmingway over Conrad any day of the week.

For a good, long story to read on your hammock in the middle of nowhere while mosquitos are straffing you, Game of Thrones is excellent.

#11 Posted: 8/3/2013 - 21:34

• Starving_So-
    und

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2013
    Location United States

LOVE Game of Thrones and apart from the Dragonlance books - that I read when younger - I never really liked fantasy books. But once I got halfway through the first season of the show I bought the box set of novels minus Dance of Dragons. Glad I waited to read them because I couldn't have stood the wait - eleven years? - for Dance of Dragons - which I'm halfway through now.

Or rather The Song of Fire and Ice books.

#12 Posted: 8/3/2013 - 21:38

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

I second Travels with a Tangerine.

I also loved The Age of Kali (William Dalrymple) and Into the Heart of Borneo (Redmond O'Hanlon) which is brilliantly funny.

Right now, I'm currently enjoying Ghost Train to the Eastern Star (Theroux), which is a retracing of the route of The Great Railway Bazaar, 30 years on. I think Theroux's become a better observer as he got older - more perceptive and less of a jerk than I used to find him in his earlier books (which I still enjoyed, but they frequently made me want to smack him).

#13 Posted: 9/3/2013 - 02:07

• Starving_So-
    und

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2013
    Location United States

Oh - books about traveling. Well, everybody needs to check out the true book In Search of Captain Zero: A Surfer's Road Trip Beyond the End of the Road by Allan Weisbecker. An amazing book.

#14 Posted: 9/3/2013 - 02:27

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I hadn't seen this post before, a belated thank you Somtam. I've only read Heart of Darkness and Ravens, will probably start with Carpet Wars because I liked Bamboo Palace and follow it up with River of Time. You've inspired me to read some books.

#15 Posted: 9/3/2013 - 12:51

• cactuschild

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2011

Will definitely be checking out some of these :-)

For what it's worth, I've got a few of my own recommendations...

For Cambodia - First They Killed my Father by Loung Ung & Off the Rails in Phnom Penh by Amit Gilboa
    For Vietnam - Catfish & Mandala by Andrew X. Pham & When Heaven & Earth Changed Places by Ly Le Hayslip
    For Thailand - Traveler's Tales Thailand by James O' Reilly

#16 Posted: 10/3/2013 - 05:54

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I just finished listening to the audio book, Snakehead - extremely interesting

Here's what the library says:

Summary - The rise and fall of an unlikely international crime
    >> boss--Sister Ping--and the intricate human trafficking network she
    >> created from her business in New York City's Chinatown , together with
    >> a panoramic tale about the gangland gunslingers who worked for her,
    >> the immigration and law enforcement officials who pursued her, and the
    >> generation of penniless immigrants who risked death to realize their
    >> own version of the American dream

Author Keefe, Patrick Radden, 1976-
    >> Title The snakehead [downloadable ebook] : an epic tale of the
    >> Chinatown underworld and the American dream

#17 Posted: 10/3/2013 - 13:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
What books would you recommend for a trip to Thailand? ... By MikeSanto on 19 Jan 2014 7 1676 9 Mar 2014