Books forum

No Touch Monkey - Ayun Halliday

• travelingch-
    inese

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2009

I am reading this now - hilarious backpacking short stories by Ayun Halliday. It was published in 2003 - and some of the stores are from the 90s - so I wouldn't use it as a travel guide - just a great read.

Available online via: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk. (Amazon links added in by Somtam2000)

#1 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 00:44

• Advertisement

• travelingch-
    inese

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2009

Sorry if I wasn't clear - "No Touch Monkey" by Ayun Halliday.

#2 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 00:45

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

"No Touch Monkey"

I wonder what the title means?

Long ago, when younger and in the army, the Sargeant would awaken us at reveille (ie. early morning) with wakey, wakey, hands off monkey.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 08:54

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Now that's funny. LOL

#4 Posted: 4/7/2009 - 23:29

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

When I was in my wife's village long ago, I was feeding a money a banana and then gave him the rest of my coke. He downed that thing like a veteran. Very funny watching a monkey drink out of a coke bottle (It only had a little coke in it - I didn't want him to get more hyper than he already was). Then he sat on his haunches and started chatting away with me. I wish I could speak monkey, as I was really curious what he was saying. I suspect it was something like "Give me some more coke damnit!" My wife took a picture of me handing him a peanut and it looks exactly as if he's shaking my hand in the photo.

#5 Posted: 5/7/2009 - 21:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.