Books forum

Historical/Cultural Reading to Recommend?

• alexandra13

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2009

Can anyone recommend good books about the region? I'll be in Cambodia and Vietnam for 3 weeks or so and want to learn more before going. I have a background in international relations so am moderately well informed, but would love to read more about the history and culture about these two countries. Could be travel writing or political/historical non-fiction - anything.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 03:22

• Advertisement

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

Hi Alexandra,

For travel writing, still one of my favorites is Andrew X. Pham's powerfully written 'Catfish and Mandala: A Two-Wheeled Voyage Through the Landscape and Memory of Vietnam'.
    As a Viet Kieu, Andrew addresses the dual identity that Asian-Americans experience, especially as refugees and provides insights as a stranger in both his adopted and birth countries.

For Vietnamese culure, perhaps, 'Vietnam: Journeys of Body, Mind and Spirit' by Nguyen Van Huy and Laurel Kendall, editors. This book is published by the Vietnam Museum of Ethnology and the American Museum of Natural History.

For Cambodia, Francis Bizot's 'The Gate' and how he managed to survive his encounter with Duch who recently went on trial as head of Tuol Sleng/S-21 is very inoformative.

As a guide to Angkor , Dawn Rooney's 'Angkor' is widely available in Cambodia but I also like Vittorio Roveda's, 'Sacred Angkor: The Carved Bas Reliefs of Angkor Wat'.

For Cambodian recent history and politics, Evan Gottesman's, 'Cambodia After the Khmer Rouge: Inside the Politics of Nation Building'.

#2 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 06:00

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Good suggestions there from seagypsy - there are also other threads on this in the Book section of the forum (to where I've transferred this thread)

#3 Posted: 27/8/2009 - 07:04

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

An obvious one I guess, but Milton Osborne's "Mekong".

#4 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 22:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.