• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

A friend lent this to me before I headed over to Italy and France this summer. I was a bit skeptical at first as he's heavily into the technical aspects of architecture. However, this book is anything but.

Ross King has documented the story of one of history's most creative minds, Filippo Brunelleschi, and his greatest achievement ... the dome of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence. Even today it remains the largest dome built from bricks and mortar, built without any supporting structure!!!

This guy was a short-fused, paranoid, eccentric who influenced the likes of Michaelangelo, Donatello, and Leonardo da Vinci (who even copied several of Fillipo's inventions.) He was a clockmaker, engineer and designer who excavated areas of ruined Rome (together with Donatello) in order to study design and building techniques from 2000 years earlier. Techniques that had been completely lost with the downfall of Rome.

The book gives good insight into how structures like these were constructed, and the social, political, and personal aspects that were involved. Competing architects, war, plague, "free" and illiterate masons all come into play at a time shortly after the creation of many of SE Asia's great temples.

For anyone interested in Medieval Italy, architecture, and design, I would strongly recommend this book. Even for those who aren't into these kinds of things, it's still a very interesting and engrossing read. It's not a big book, and it's a bit of a page-turner.

I'm looking forward to reading another one of his books on the creation of the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

#1 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 01:50

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Reminds me of a book I very reluctantly started reading because there was nothing else left on the bookshelf in a GH in Indonesia. The subject matter did not sound exactly gripping ... something about Medieval cathedral builders called "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet.

Well, it turned out to be one of the best books I've read in years, a real page turner! I highly recommend it if you haven't already read it.

#2 Posted: 29/8/2009 - 02:54

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Ah yes! I read "Brunelleschi's Dome" a couple of years ago. A great read.

#3 Posted: 13/2/2010 - 12:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.