Photo: Paper all the way.

Books forum

Rough Giude vs. Lonely Planet

Posted by chopin on 9/12/2009 at 21:38

Hi guys, I'd like to know your opinion: between RG and LP, which is a better travel guide?

#1 chopin has been a member since 28/4/2007. Posts: 154

Posted by pia2am on 10/12/2009 at 00:58

Depends where you´re going. If you´re heading to any of the countries covered here, you´re better off sticking with travelfish. Otherwise I tend to like Footprint guides quite a lot.

#2 pia2am has been a member since 22/1/2009. Location: Denmark. Posts: 35

Posted by katieflorence on 11/12/2009 at 20:44

I'd vote for Lonely Planet, on the basis that the layout is clearer and easier to read. Plus the tone of the book is slightly more...fun! RG always seems slightly boring and do-gooder ish in comparison. Mind you I've not actually travelled on either of them yet (heading for SE Asia on 28 Dec!) so can only give my opinion on which is nicer to read, not which is the most informative!

#3 katieflorence has been a member since 23/10/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by busylizzy on 11/12/2009 at 22:05

Posted from within Vietnam.

Haven't used Rough Guides before (other than a cursory read) but I would definitely recommend Travelfish guides over LP. I am currently travelling through Vietnam, and actually have printouts of both the TF guides, and the Vietnam section of the Mekong Delta LP book with me - but Travelfish is the one that I rely on for good, objective and informative info, in particular in relation to accommodation. LP, on the other hand, has the better maps.

Rough Guide, based on my cursory look, tends to be a bit too fluffy for my liking.

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.