Photo: Paper all the way.

Books forum

Books on Laos

Posted by kelseyg on 9/1/2010 at 07:15

Hi all!

I'm heading to Cambodia and Laos in a month and want to find some political/historical books on the two countries. I've found some great suggestions on this forum for Cambodia, but can anyone recommend a book on Laos? I'm less interested in memoirs and more interested in academic sorts of books. Thanks!

#1 kelseyg has been a member since 27/12/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/1/2010 at 09:30 admin

A history of Laos by Martin Stuart-Fox is just about the best history text I've read on the country.

A Short History of Laos by Grant Evans is ok, but I think Stuart-Fox is better.

Both of these are available on Amazon:
A history of Laos by Martin Stuart-Fox
A Short History of Laos by Grant Evans

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by christay2009 on 9/1/2010 at 18:05

I just bought the Stuart-Fox book. It looks good, nicely written.

If you want something abit more personable then check out ANT EGG SOUP by NATACHA DU PONT DE BIE. A good, humerous read about her travels in Laos for about 6 months. It is largely based around food though so if you're not much of a 'foodie' might not be as good.

#3 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414

Posted by kelseyg on 1/2/2010 at 03:30

I'm working my way through Stuart-Fox's History of Laos and I have Ant Egg Soup for my next book. Thanks for your suggestions!

#4 kelseyg has been a member since 27/12/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.