Books forum

Books on Laos

• kelseyg

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2009
    Location United States

Hi all!

I'm heading to Cambodia and Laos in a month and want to find some political/historical books on the two countries. I've found some great suggestions on this forum for Cambodia, but can anyone recommend a book on Laos? I'm less interested in memoirs and more interested in academic sorts of books. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 9/1/2010 - 07:15

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

A history of Laos by Martin Stuart-Fox is just about the best history text I've read on the country.

A Short History of Laos by Grant Evans is ok, but I think Stuart-Fox is better.

Both of these are available on Amazon:
    A history of Laos by Martin Stuart-Fox
    A Short History of Laos by Grant Evans

Cheers

#2 Posted: 9/1/2010 - 09:30

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I just bought the Stuart-Fox book. It looks good, nicely written.

If you want something abit more personable then check out ANT EGG SOUP by NATACHA DU PONT DE BIE. A good, humerous read about her travels in Laos for about 6 months. It is largely based around food though so if you're not much of a 'foodie' might not be as good.

#3 Posted: 9/1/2010 - 18:05

• kelseyg

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2009
    Location United States

I'm working my way through Stuart-Fox's History of Laos and I have Ant Egg Soup for my next book. Thanks for your suggestions!

#4 Posted: 1/2/2010 - 03:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.