Books forum

The future of Lonely Planet & Rough Guides?

• Este

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2010

I'm currently in Asia and bought some books before I came, only to flog them on Amazon just a few weeks later. I've come here with basic knowledge, with further information gleaned from the Internet and word of mouth.

I don't really like Lonely Planet books and the style of their writing, and I don't particularly like the snobbery of Rough Guides which always seem to me to be aimed at people who think they're 'travelers' rather than tourists even though they still end up very much on the tourist trail.

What really annoys me though is the bias. These books aren't impartial. They are written by people who have been to these countries many times and in some cases they even live there. In both cases it's because they've fallen inove with a place and they write about their favourite venues as if everyone else will love the too. As a result, you can read up on these places and then leave feeling considerably underwhelmed.

I much prefer sites like this that have a range of opinions and given the rise of wifi and the mobile Internet, I ask you, has the guide book had it's day?

#1 Posted: 12/2/2010 - 11:55

• Advertisement

• Este

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2010

Apologies for typos, I mean "fallen in love" and "with them" not "with the"

#2 Posted: 12/2/2010 - 11:58

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

One point to consider is that guidebooks provide a kind of safety net for many tourists. Even if you don't use the guide book every day and religiously i think people like the idea of having a guidebook there just in case they get in a situation they're not sure of or, perhaps they don't know where to go next. Even if the listings can be somewhat suspect, a lonely planet does provide information on a lot of places > what they actually are, what kind of sights/things to do are there...etc

I think the easy access to the internet will play an ever increasing role in travel but what happens if you arrive somewhere without internet or you're unsure how to get to the internet, it's dark, all you want to do is go to a hostel and crash out. You can just take out your guidebook and find out whats going on. You may have decided to go somewhere on a whim, without research and can't find the internet. There is also the issue that some people don't have an iPod/Phone or Laptop and if they do have one at home, they may not want to travel with it. It's good to get away from facebook and e-mail for a while so why bring all that with you? There are probably quite a lot of scenarios when i guidebook comes into it's own.

I'm not even a very big fan of guidebooks and tend to use the internet most of the time. I just thought the above was worth considering. I did find LP China to be invaluable for the month i was there.

#3 Posted: 12/2/2010 - 20:09

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I haven't seen a new edition of either book in a few years.

I used to like the fact that the guides were written by people who lived in and knew the countries well. It's exactly that first hand and in depth knowledge that attracts me to a guidebook. I like knowing what the writer liked or didn't about a place, I look for opinion.

The newer method of hiring writers is to get some recent university grads who can write a decent paragraph and to pay them small money to go around getting prices of hotels and bus station info.

I wish to know what the special foods are or what some helpfull phrases are or why a town is the way it is, the kinds of things that can only be learned through spending time.

When I compare info on forums or Wikitravel, to LP, Rough Guides, or Travelfish the reader based content comes up lacking. Some real gems, and also lots of uninformed stereotypes. A good writer never guesses, or extrapolates from what is already known. The info is often dated, but it's bankable.

#4 Posted: 13/2/2010 - 03:29

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

There will always be a market for travel guide books (as long as we continue to have printed matter to hold in our hands). They answer a certain need, I think. The quality of writing and reportage varies widely, of course (i.e., Frommers vs. LP).

Typically, heading for somewhere I've never been before, I start with a guidebook that appeals to me and augment that with information from various websites and other sources. Among these is also travel literature (as opposed to guidebooks). People writing about "the kinds of things that can only be learned through spending time", as Somsai mentioned.

#5 Posted: 13/2/2010 - 11:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Rough Giude vs. Lonely Planet ... By chopin on 9 Dec 2009 3 5684 11 Dec 2009
Travel Guide: Lonely Planet or Rough Guide? ... By carlakoopman on 23 Feb 2007 36 27787 18 Jan 2014
BBC buys Lonely Planet ... By somtam2000 on 1 Oct 2007 8 5005 20 Mar 2013
Travelling the Nam Ou - Lonely Planet is again wrong! ... By brucemoon on 27 Apr 2009 18 7279 27 Aug 2009
Lonely Planet does not endorse Travelfish ... By somtam2000 on 19 Mar 2009 16 13508 4 May 2009
CHeap Lonely Planet Books ... By Gerry on 22 May 2008 2 4013 1 Mar 2010
lonely planet vietnam and cambodia ... By aldoscriba on 12 Oct 2012 5 1955 14 Oct 2012
Lonely Planet's Laos 6th edition reviewed ... By somtam2000 on 29 Aug 2007 13 7487 18 Oct 2009
Lonely Planet Thailand 13th Edition ... By jakethedog on 26 Dec 2009 6 4644 31 Dec 2009
Lonely Planet forums back on the agenda ... By Xircal on 15 Jan 2013 1 1295 15 Jan 2013