Books forum

looking for the ideal book to take for 3 months travel...

• jack2408

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2010

Any help? I was thinking of a classic such as grapes of wrath, robinson crusoe etc...

#1 Posted: 15/2/2010 - 03:26

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

My experience is that if you want a book to last the trip it had better be one of those scratch the head and read the paragraph again ones. Absalom Absalom by Faulkner or Finegans Wake or something.

Alternatively, trade at guest houses or those book stores that often pop up in tourist towns. I prefer those light classics you mentioned, plenty there to sink the teeth into, timeless, and good quality, but be ready to ditch them for the next one.

Another alternative, a history of the area. I notice the head fishman who is a going on a busman's holiday is taking a history and a book he'd been having trouble starting as he posted here. http://blog.travelfish.org/2010/02/10/what-im-packing/

#2 Posted: 15/2/2010 - 07:18

• jack2408

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2010

thanks a lot again, anyone else with any advice?

#3 Posted: 15/2/2010 - 07:52

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

i like easy reading science fiction or chomp at the bit to keep reading fiction when i travel - especially for long bus rides.

Murakami's big works. Rushdie. Douglas Adams. Larry Niven (Ring World). Dune. Brother's Karamazov.

stuff you can't put down and has a lot of pages.

sometimes the reason we've never read those classics is because the language makes them just not that fun to read these days.

#4 Posted: 14/4/2010 - 19:57

• UCSBrown

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009

If you can find something related to the country or region you are traveling in it will make your experience that much better.

#5 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 01:35

• wombatfuz

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

I generally leave the heavy reading stuff for reading when I have minimal distractions. On trips there are just too many interesting things or other distractions. I won't be able to concentrate on a book that requires re-reading because of the difficult expressions or abstract meaning.

For me, a travel book would be nice. Doesn't necessary have to be about the place that you are travelling at that time (although that would be great). I like to read about someone else's journey while I'm on my own journey.

#6 Posted: 15/4/2010 - 09:07

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Lord of the rings... all three books in one. Last forever.

I love The Breaking Point - but I doubt you will.

#7 Posted: 30/7/2010 - 22:57

• cisdeluca

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2011

If you are only bringing one book for 3 months, it should be long. My favorite longer books are Shantaram and Pillars of the Earth.

I just read Half the Sky and loved it.

#8 Posted: 17/1/2011 - 13:08

• jnelson232

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2011
    Location United States

Another massive book that is perfect to read while traveling is Shogun by James Clavell. An incredible work of fiction about ancient Japan right when a British pilot lands shipwrecked.
    A great insight into Japanese history and culture. Also gives good information about how the Catholic Church spread its influence through many asian countries. Plus its 1200 pages.

#9 Posted: 17/4/2011 - 18:53

• kateemily

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011

"Shantaram" is an amazing book (it'll definitely open your mind up to travelling in India) and I'm trying to get through "A Suitable Boy" by Vikram Seth. Not much luck yet...

#10 Posted: 18/5/2011 - 13:08

• Advertisement

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

How about an Ereader? That way you can have as many books as you want in one small device. When I started using an ereader initially, I found it abit cumbersome, with the whole "can't beat a physical book", which is true, but when travelling its such an advantage.

I'm going to asia for 6 months and have a sony ereader that has over 150 books on it that I loaded onto it. Doubt I'd even get through 25% of them, but the point is you have tons of choice :)

#11 Posted: 18/5/2011 - 21:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I just read "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond. Good read.

#12 Posted: 18/5/2011 - 23:52

• rledez1990

Click here to learn more about rledez1990
    Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Last time I went to Thailand I saw a book called 'Thailand's Third Gender' and I've had an urge to read it ever since...so I'll be picking up a copy of that when I get there in June haha

#13 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 00:50

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

No books unless they enhance your traveling in some way. Reading into different things about the places you are in. Then looking out for things that are written about. Getting insights. Usually I don't want to be stuck in a book in SE Asia. I am busy experiencing or taking in subtle things.

#14 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 04:06

• jnelson232

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2011
    Location United States

"Sacred Games" by Vikram Chandra.

A 900 page novel that takes place in Bombay and is in the perspective of several Indians (shocking I know) Part crime novel, part window into a fascinating city.
    I absolutely loved Shantaram but this gives a completely different perspective into the area.

#15 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 11:48

• Basil

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2007

Three months is a lot of reading time.
    How about Edwards Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.
    It is a hell of a story, broken up into bite size chapters, and what is all the more remarkable is it happens to be true!
    Not sure how well you would do trading it in though...

#16 Posted: 9/9/2011 - 01:34

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Get a Kindle then you can take all the books you want :-)

#17 Posted: 9/9/2011 - 06:28

• johnbarring-
    ton

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2011

I would definitely take Narcissus and Goldmund. Really inspiring stuff and the perfect travel companion. You really will not regret reading it.

#18 Posted: 19/10/2011 - 19:23

• johnbarring-
    ton

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2011

I would definitely take Narcissus and Goldmund. Really inspiring stuff and the perfect travel companion. You really will not regret reading it.

#19 Posted: 19/10/2011 - 19:24

• SarahA

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2012

I like to read books specific to where I am travelling, for instance, 100 Years of Solitude in South America, Midnight's Children in India, the Quiet American in Vietnam...

#20 Posted: 11/7/2012 - 17:32

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

Unlike most people, it seems, I dislike reading a book set in the place where I am travelling. One of those electronic devices would probably suit long-time travel, although I have not used one myself. I also find I cannot rely on picking up books at hostels as they are mostly rubbish. As for the comment about being stuck in a book whilst travelling, I have been stuck in a book ever since I learnt to read and would not be without one, ever. At the end of my day's travel adventures, I like to go to bed with a book, the same as I do at home.

#21 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 22:08

• ellencarroll

Joined Travelfish
    26th February, 2013

Last year I visited Thailand and spent two months there withmy companion- a regional guide. This book not only helped me a lot to knowabout the various attractions, restaurants, hotels of Thailand but also never let me feel that I am alone and visiting that country first time.

#22 Posted: 26/2/2013 - 06:29

• dokuman

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2013

I would suggest you take 2 or 3 short story compilations, Its always fresh to read a new story every day. carrying a novel is sometimes overkill, if the trip is very engrossing. you can always read a short story in the taxi on your way to the hotel or when going by a frequently traveled path

#23 Posted: 21/7/2013 - 02:07

• Alexandre81-

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2013

My list included:

1. The Hundred Great Persons (Michael H. Hart).
    2. Sacred Games (Vikram Chandra).
    3. Harry Potter (J. K. Rowling).

#24 Posted: 22/8/2013 - 12:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.