Companions forum

28 year old guy, setting out on 6 month SE Asia adventure (MAY-OCT)

• onewayticket

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2010

As per subject title. Fly into Bangkok 5th May - no fixed itinery - I've read loads but have no concrete plans as yet. Intend taking my time around Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam. Not travelled alone in loooong time, would be good to meet up with some likeminded people.

Loves - Good Food, beautiful scenery, a bit of adrenaline sports here and there (if i can fit in some kitesurfing I'll be stoked!). Chilling and people watching. Up for a good party too - have to hit the full moon party as some point. Would also like to fit in a diving course.

Hates - Rude tourists, rushing around trying to do too much all at once, MacFood!

If you think you could put up with me for a few days drop me a reply!

Rich

#1 Posted: 17/3/2010 - 04:26

• Advertisement

• onewayticket

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2010

not that it should make any difference, but I'm English, and have been living on the beaches and in the mountains of South Wales for the last 6 years (ok, I actually lived in a house... but I love being outdoors!)

#2 Posted: 17/3/2010 - 04:28

• amylou

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2009

Hey Rich, I fly into Bangkok a week before you and have 2 months of exploring to do. I don't really have a solid plan either but thinking of heading up to Chaing Mai and making my way around to Laos. I enjoy all adrenaline sports (not tried kitesurfing yet but keen to do a course!) but into surfing, wakeboarding, snowboarding etc. I am looking to meet similar likeminded people on my travels. Cheers, Amy

#3 Posted: 24/3/2010 - 03:38

• onewayticket

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2010

Hi Amy,

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to spend my first month or so in Thailand to make the most of the air entry 30 day visa. I guess you'll be done with Bangkok by the time I arrive, but it would be good to meet somewhere along the way. Where about's are you from? Have you been solo travelling before?

Rich

#4 Posted: 24/3/2010 - 05:02

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Hey Oneway,

I was about to post a thread with pretty much exactly the same title.

I'm planning to leave around late April/early May and have no fixed itinerary beyond wanting to cover as much of SE Asia as I can in 6 months without having to rush things too much, or break the bank.

I'm coming from down under though, so it seemed logical to me to start in Indonesia or somewhere geographically closer to Sydney. That said, it looks like it might be easier to just fly to Bangkok first and work plot out the trip as I go.

I've never taken a trip as ambitious as this before, so I'm not sure how much pre-planning is sensible for a 6 month trip.

Also, if you fly into Thailand, you get 30 days sure, but you have to be able to prove you have a ticket out of there before you arrive - at least if you're an Aussie.

Have you already booked a ticket somewhere else or are you just planning to ditch out on the return part of flight?

#5 Posted: 24/3/2010 - 18:18

• chris14679

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010

Hello!

I fly into Bangkok on 7th May so should be there the same time as you onewayticket. I'm in Thailand until the 18th, I'd love to meet up with anyone else travelling alone. No fixed plans yet, not had time to read up on Thailand so if you have ideas for something cool to do then I'm probably happy to join you!

I don't like posting my email address on forums for the spammers but I have a travbuddy.com profile with a load more about me and you can contact me through that, or just reply here. http://www.travbuddy.com/chris14679 is me.

Hope to catch up with some of you in Thailand!

#6 Posted: 24/3/2010 - 19:19

• NorthernMon-
    key

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010

Hey everyone!

I arrive in Bangkok on 6th May. Plan to spend approx 4/5 months travelling overland through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Malaysia - Hoping to see some of Indonesia too particularly Bali, Lombok and Gili Islands. No set itinery, just happy to go with the flow and see what happens. I defo want to do some trekking, do my PADI on Ko Tao and Full Moon Party on 28th July.

From South East Asia im flying on to Oz with a 12 months working visa.

Oh, by the way... Im female, 26 and living in Leeds!

Amanda

#7 Posted: 25/3/2010 - 02:40

• johnroger

Joined Travelfish
    25th March, 2010

Hey all,

I will also be in SE Asia for the summer. Right now I'm planning on the middle of May until the middle of August, going from Vietnam, to Laos, to Thailand, and then to Cambodia. Just looking forward to taking some time off from school and work.

I'm also really interested in getting the SCUBA certification, and heard Ko Tao was the place to do it. Also planning on the Full Moon at the end of July because of the way my return flight works out.

It'd be great to meet up with people looking to do some of the same things. I would also really appreciate any recommendations or any other information people have.

About me: I'm 23, male, going to graduate school in Hawaii. I've traveled quite a bit but never alone and never for such an extended period of time. Looking to get a nice mix of things in over the course of the trip, from sitting on a beach doing nothing, tours, cooking classes, and other tourist trap things, to partying the night away.

Best,

John

#8 Posted: 25/3/2010 - 16:17

• onewayticket

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2010

plenty of people around at the same time then... my email is rich[dot]onewayticket[dot]clark[at]gmail[dot]com

Feel free to drop me a message and lets see about meeting up.

Rich

#9 Posted: 26/3/2010 - 00:56

• bakpakk

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2010
    Location Cameroon

Hey Rich,
    I head into Bangkok on May 28th. I would love to do the Bangkok - Siem Reap journey to Cambodia by land around the first weeks of June. If anyone is interested in heading to Cambodia around this time, please let me know. We can work something out.

After that, I'm headng up to the North of Thailand (Nong Khai) to volunteer. It's free volunteering so no heavy fees attached. They also provide free lodging so it's a great affordable option. I'll be teaching English. I hope to visit Laos during my stay up North because it is literally like 5 minutes away from Nong Khai.

I'm a 22 year old grad student, I'm very laid back, and outgoing. Let me know if any of you guys want to meet up.

#10 Posted: 5/4/2010 - 00:13

• Advertisement

• Mexicano31

Joined Travelfish
    8th April, 2010

Hey guys, Im Mexican 28 years old, photographer. Im planning on traveling around Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam between July(19th) and oct 2010. Im going solo so if I can catch up with you it would be great, im looking for companions to share some adventure over there ;-)

Where do you expect to be around those dates? I do want to spend 1 month in Thailand first to make use of my 30 day visa.

cheers!

#11 Posted: 8/4/2010 - 05:02

• sonicmarina

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2010

HI!...I'm Marina from Argentina...I'll be arriving to BKK on May 28th...I would love to go to siam reap the following days and then to chiang may and possibly myanmar...I'm a 29 year-old travelling solo...I'm very laid back and sociable...If anyone is interested in sharing part of the trip to reduce costs please contact me at sonicmarina @ hotmail.com

Mar

#12 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 14:59

• sharpie

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2010

"After that, I'm headng up to the North of Thailand (Nong Khai) to volunteer. It's free volunteering so no heavy fees attached. They also provide free lodging so it's a great affordable option. I'll be teaching English."

not sure how to add people posts in the box anyhow bakpakk this sounds very interesting. i love some more info?
    thanks

#13 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 16:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
8-10 MONTH AROUND S.E ASIA WITH 7 YEAR OLD SON ... By bevster2010 on 11 Jul 2013 6 1393 16 Aug 2013