Companions forum

SEA through the Holidays. Looking for a travel mate, solo traveller for Nov. 2010 to Feb 2011

• travellite

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

Hey everyone.

I'm a 23 yr old American female travelling SEA through the holidays and looking for a travel mate. I don't have a laid out itinerary just yet and I'm totally open to suggestions, but I don't want to be alone during Christmas and New Year so I thought about heading to the Thai Islands around this time. I hear its packed with backpackers around this time.

Oh I'm also going to try and make it up to Hong Kong to finish up my trip and celebrate Chinese New Year as well.

Anyone interested?

Cheers

#1 Posted: 8/5/2010 - 04:37

• Advertisement

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 7

Hey, I've got a similar plan, heading out at the end of Oct/start of Nov for an extended trip including Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Burma, Malaysia & Indonesia. Dont have any firm plans either and dont intend to, planning to stay as little or as long in places as feels right :)

I've got the same concern, finding somewhere sociable for christmas, especially as it will the first one in my life spent away from home!

I'm a 26yr old male from the UK

#2 Posted: 9/5/2010 - 09:53

• nickgf

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2010

Hey guys - I'm looking to do the same thing (more similar to sidewinder) in that I have no set plans and will be heading out around September til 'Whenever I run out of money' 2011.

Looking to explore many of the places mentioned with a view to possibly going to some of South America afterwards (on a budget!)

I agree that Thailand around this time would be absolutely amazing given the amount of lone travellers that are likely to be in the same boat.

Maybe we should keep in contact incase we're all there and very alone!
    I'm a 25 year old guy from the UK.

#3 Posted: 10/5/2010 - 00:14

• Steve81

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010

Hi guys,

I'm in the same situation too. Flying out to Malaysia end of Nov and then plan to head up to Thailand and beyond. Have no definate plans, just looking to explore. I'm also hoping to be in Thailand around Christmas so would be great to meet up with anyone for some festive cheer!

I'm 28 yr old male from Wales btw.

Cheers
    Steve

#4 Posted: 10/5/2010 - 02:38

• travellite

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

Hey Guys-

Since we're all in the same boat lets keep in touch, and maybe we can all meet up for some holiday festivities. Like sidewinder, this will be my first Christmas away from my family as well (and since I'm from the states Thanksgiving too lol). I don't have a set itinerary at all except for maybe the fact that I'd like to celebrate Chinese New Years too.

Maybe we can start an email chain and get a feel for each others travel plans and travel style.

Cheers,
    Becca
    beccab1217@gmail.com

#5 Posted: 10/5/2010 - 23:07

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Becca - sounds like a good idea, my email/facebook is gr3g_h@yahoo.co.uk

Nice to see a few people planing the same sort of trip as me!

Greg

#6 Posted: 11/5/2010 - 07:23

• elle1981x

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hey everyone, nice to see this post!
    I'm in the same boat, flying out to Thailand the 1st week of December, with vague plans of meeting my Austrailian mate for the full moon party NYE, but apart from that have no plans apart from wanting to head north... laos, Cambodia, Vietnam.
    I've been to SE Asia before but the opposite direction! So it would be great to meet some people doing the same :)
    I'm a 28 yr old female....

elle1981x@googlemail.com

#7 Posted: 16/5/2010 - 15:24

• rachael27

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2009

hey all

i did this trip last year from nov - feb thius year. It was amazing! I did it solo but never really solo as rthere is so many travellers out there. I loved it so much I want to do it again as I missed so much the last time. And Nick I really wanna backpack south maerica too (very cheaply). My email for facebook is rachaelfleming@yahoo.com.au (I dont check my emails on yahoo). Anyone interested in meeting up contact me. I am pretty flexable wit dates although prob be oct earliest.

Hope to hear from you all soon xox

Oh im a 27 yo Aussie chick x

#8 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 16:13

• Steve81

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010

Sounds good guys, my address is lisk.steve@gmail.com

#9 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 19:21

• nickgf

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2010

I'm at nickgf at gmail.com / facebook.com/nickgf

Definitely worth keeping in touch !

#10 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 20:17

• Advertisement

• ohme_ohmy

Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010

Hey everyone! I'm a 27/F also traveling SEA at this time. I plan to arrive in the last week of October and travel either until Christmas or possibly into January (still deciding what I want to do). I'd love some travel buddies to meet up with since I am heading there alone.

I'm considering starting my trip in Bangkok and going north and around the circle (Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam) and ending in the islands in Thailand. November is the end of the rainy season, so I'd rather spend beach days on the islands when there is less chance of rain!

If anyone has set up a message board, I'd love to be included. :) Pretty please.

#11 Posted: 19/6/2010 - 06:45

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Nice to see another reply! Hi :)

Maybe a facebook group would be a good idea to get everyone in one place to discuss their plans?

#12 Posted: 19/6/2010 - 18:52

• TJL81

Joined Travelfish
    20th June, 2010

Hey everyone, i'll be doing the same sort of trip. Looks like their will be a few of us in the same boat. Should be getting across to bangkok around the second week of Nov and looking to travel around SEA for 3 or 4 months before heading to India and onto Europe. At the moment it looks like i'll be heading across there solo so would be good to catch up with like minded travellers. If anyone would like to get in touch you can reach me at tim.lyness@live.com.au or on fb. I'm a 28 year old aussie bloke.

#13 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 21:19

• elscapist

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2010

Hi

I'm a 25 year old Singaporean female looking to travel ard 4-5wks in SEA - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam from December to early January. Cos I can only take leave around then. Plans not firmed up yet but if I don't go Cambodia earlier in Aug/Sep, it'll be in my plans to visit Cambodia and do some volunteer work around then too.

Anyone interested? Do email me at elscapist@gmail.com or add me on fb - elscapist@yahoo.co.uk (Speaking of which, has anyone started up the fb group on this yet?)

`HY

#14 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 23:09

• nickgf

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2010

Hey all - great to see so many replies!
    Have created a Facebook group here:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=133447996673253

Will make you all admins when you join it!

#15 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 23:21

• travellite

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

hey everyone. Per requests on this thread, I started this fb group so we can all join.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=137952212886350

This should take you to the group page, if not pm me with your info and i'll add you.

#16 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 23:28

• travellite

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

hahaha didn't see nick's group, disregard my fb group.

is there a way to delete posts?

#17 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 23:29

• 0theories

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2010
    Location United States

Hi guys,

Me too :) I'll be traveling around SEA for maybe 5 months or so from Nov until Apr. I'm a firm believer that traveling solo is the best, but that's just because you get to meet a lot more people and find yourself in many interesting situations that normally don't present themselves when you're committed to a group. I joined the facebook group but there are few members right now. I don't have any definite plans yet, nor even a ticket but I'm definitely going and am open to adventures. I'm 35, male, live in the USA and have traveled much.

#18 Posted: 22/6/2010 - 03:03

• Lynn2306

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

hey guys! i'm Lynn from vietnam. im thinking about go round vietnam from the south to the north and go to cambodia at Octorber- november or Feb-2010. so if there are anyone have a same plan, we can go together.
    or if u come to ho chi minh city( im living here) give me a email. i can show u around the city.
    my email is anythinglovely@yahoo.com or u can add me at facebook via this email too. if u need any help, just email to me
    Lynn!

#19 Posted: 30/6/2010 - 19:05

• tangledjung-
    le

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2010
    Location Ireland

Hi all,

I'm a 27yo Irish lad and I'm planning to travel from Sept 2010 to March 2011.

My travel plan is all over the place at the minute and I can't seem to decide on anything! Hoping I'm not the only one!

As I haven't done anything like this solo before, the very rough plan is spending September in around central/eastern Europe and then heading to Bangkok in early October. From that point on my itinerary is completely open at the mo.

I'd love to hear your plans and get the chance to meet some like minded people!

Barry.

tangledjungle (at) gmail (dot) com

#20 Posted: 2/7/2010 - 07:27

• 0theories

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2010
    Location United States

Right on Barry,

I originally also thought of including some of Eastern Europe in my travels, but I think it'll be too cold for me :) I might first stop by S. Korea to see some friends, but otherwise just concentrate on one region. So maybe see you in SEA... If you've never done this before, you might want to consider consolidating your plans a little for a first experience, but I think you'll probably have a blast either way. I find I never really want to be done traveling when my time runs out, so the longer you can travel, the better (at least for me).

Lynn, I would love to meet up with you and get a tour of your city. And maybe if the timing is right, we'll see each other along the path, or maybe even travel together for a bit. Right now I'm leaning towards buying a motorbike in Vietnam and riding it all over SEA. Still not 100% settled on even the most general of plans though :)

Lev

#21 Posted: 3/7/2010 - 22:33

• Lynn2306

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

hey Lev!
    send me an email when u are coming here, we will talk more about detail.
    and of course, we can take a tour around my city.
    i dont really know about how to buy a motorbike for a foreigner, but i will take a look to u

#22 Posted: 3/7/2010 - 23:00

• 0theories

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2010
    Location United States

Thanks a lot Lynn!

I'm sure I can take care of the motorbike part so don't go to any trouble for that :) Thank you for the offer though... There's a lot of info on these forums and I like making my own arrangements anyway, as that's half the fun and a large source of where the "adventurous" situations arise from :) It would be really cool to hang out though and see some of the spots that you really like as someone who lives there as opposed to what the guidebooks say (although I'm sure there's plenty of overlap). Have you traveled around Vietnam before or will this be your first cross-country trip?

Thanks, lev

#23 Posted: 3/7/2010 - 23:09

• tangledjung-
    le

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2010
    Location Ireland

Thanks 0theories,

I think you are right, I've decided to ditch the Eastern European trail and head straight for SE Asia instead. Early plans are to reach Thailand in the first week of October and I'm just working out a rough route around Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia at the moment for a minimum of 3/4 months. Like a lot of people here I'm after the adventure and the possibilities that are opened up when you aren't attached to an itinerary...

If anyone is around SE Asia at that time, I'd love to hear from you and maybe get to meet up for a beer or three! :)

#24 Posted: 12/7/2010 - 04:45

• Ryan209

Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010

Hi all!
    I land in Bangkok November 1st with a one way ticket and have no set plans. Would like to see some of south Thailand {ko phi phi,ko pha ngan and koh samui} Beaches look really nice down there! WoulD like to visit Laos,Vietnam and cambodia too, would be better to meet up with people. First time traveller! If any would like to get in touch my email is ryanallen77@ntlworld.com
    Im 22 year old male from UK

#25 Posted: 14/7/2010 - 01:47

• fifmc

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2010

Hi Guys,

I think this is a fantastic idea... and love the facebook group!

I'm a 25 year old Irish female. I'm starting off my travel in India with one of my mates but travelling Thailand by myself (which is a bit daunting). I arrive in Bangkok on the 14th of November but have no specific route planned out. If anyone is gong to be in Bangkok around that time let me know.

Cheers,
    Fi

#26 Posted: 14/9/2010 - 21:07

• elle1981x

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

i arrive in bangkok the 2nd of december with no plans whatsoever! So if anyone's about at this time would be great to meet for a beer :)

#27 Posted: 29/9/2010 - 15:07

• japangaijin

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2010

Hey all! My friend and I'll be in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Lao from 11/11-11/28. If anyone is interested in meeting up/wants more details you can email me at jeremy.sullivan11@gmail.com or at http://www.facebook.com/Jeremy.Michael.Sullivan and lmk your ideas:)

#28 Posted: 8/10/2010 - 01:19

• Anas

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2010

@elle1981x...lol

i will also be arriving in Thailand around that time..what are ur plans??

#29 Posted: 8/10/2010 - 01:51

• japangaijin

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2010

@elle1981x, I'll best you-I don't even fully know what countries I'm going to or for what dates...and I leave in a month from now-Beat that!... and my friend is more clueless...we don't even have our visas or shots yet-$600. for shots-nah, not really feeling that.

#30 Posted: 8/10/2010 - 11:45

• elle1981x

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Yeah I guess we're lucky in the uk, we get shots for free!
    Anas... I'll be in bangkok for a few days figuring out what to do and then thinking of going north, as i've not been that way before. Meeting a mate in koh phangan for new years. I've got 2 months in thailand so open to suggestions :)

#31 Posted: 8/10/2010 - 14:28

• nickgf

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2010

Hey y'all! It seems we've all been a bit lazy with regards to chatting to each other about our travel plans.
    I will definitely keep referring to this site (mainly because I have no clue where I'm going !) but am leaving for Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday.
    Gonna go to Melbourne for a bit then back to KL and from 1st Nov to 4th January I have to make my way through SEA to Beijing before taking the trans siberian to Moscow.
    From there i'm flying to Sao Paolo to explore SA.
    No set plans on how long i'll stay or where to go, but as I have limited time in SEA i'm thinking Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, then fly to Beijing.

I reckon the best thing to do for all of us is to post to the facebook group (or on here) details of where we are, as I'm sure there will often be at least a couple of us in the same area at the same time!

Happy travelling everyone!

#32 Posted: 8/10/2010 - 16:07

• travellite

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

Hey everyone. I'll be in Bangkok Dec. 10th. I'm going to check out Kanchanaburi and Ayutthaya, then head down to the islands for Christmas and New Years. I'll most likely be on the eastern islands for the holidays, I want to do Phangan for New Years. Then after the holidays, I'll probably check out the western islands. If anyone's considering the same and wants to meet up for some beers, even maybe share a room in the islands (since guesthouse prices will be outrageous that time of year) hit me up.

Cheers!

#33 Posted: 8/10/2010 - 23:29

• kennyfinest

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2010
    Location Global Village

Hi fi,
    I arrive in bangkok on the 10th nov and have 6 weeks to make my way down to singapore for a flight into indonesia. Im looking at spending up to 4 weeks in laos then heading back through thailand to do some rock climbing and prob some snorkelling/ lazing around on beaches.
    I wont leave bangkok for a few days after i arrive and have seen a fair bit of thailand before so i could prob give you some good ideas if your not keen on where i am going.
    If you want advice or perhaps to meet up in bangkok you can contact me through this email :- lenbarnardAThotmailDOTcoDOTuk . or you can message me on here. Hope this helps and dont be too daunted at the thought of travelling alone as its alot easier than you think.
    cheers
    Len

#34 Posted: 25/10/2010 - 05:42

• gdansk

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2010

hi

i fly in HCMC on November 13th. Plan to ride up to Hanoi by motorbike.
    im 30yo male travelling solo.

anyone wants to join giveme a shout on marek@hostel.gda.pl

#35 Posted: 26/10/2010 - 11:09

• carlaj

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hi everybody I lanf d in Bangkok on the 9th Nov never backpacked before !!

Elle ill be on koh phangan for New Years too ssooooooo excited/scared about the whole adventure

Nick you thinking of going to Kanchanaburi ?? I was going to head there from Bangkok then work North and on into Laos where you celebrating Christmas ??

Len any adive on Bangkok /Thailand would be awesome

right better get some work done last week though whoooopp whooooopp

#36 Posted: 29/10/2010 - 15:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand Islands Jan 2011 - solo female traveller ... By Zahin on 28 Oct 2010 3 2524 14 Nov 2010
21yo Aussie girl travelling alone SE Asia Nov 2010 - Feb 2011. Travel buddies?? :) ... By redcordial on 2 Apr 2010 36 7718 15 Jan 2011
Solo traveller looking for travel buddies ... By rafadopoulos on 20 Nov 2013 0 529 20 Nov 2013
24 female looking for travel buddies or anyone who has any tips for a solo traveller :) ... By mycs1106 on 10 Oct 2012 1 1578 11 Oct 2012
Female traveller - October 2011 ... By oliviawijaya on 22 Feb 2011 4 3269 25 Aug 2011
Thailand Dec 2010 Jan 2011 ... By AndrewE on 14 Sep 2010 4 1991 14 Sep 2010
Koh Phangan or Koh Samui NYE 2010/2011 ... By callum89 on 12 Aug 2010 1 4185 15 Aug 2010
Cambodia/Vietnam-Dec'2010 or Jan'2011 ... By Barracuda on 21 Jun 2010 5 1440 8 Oct 2010
Need travel mate ... By GaryEL on 2 Sep 2013 1 879 3 Sep 2013
travel mate ... By marietherese on 6 Apr 2010 1 1949 19 May 2010