Companions forum

Eek....I booked it. 3rd Sept - 22 Dec 2010

• brummie1985

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2010

Wow, so I did, credit card well and truely maxed out. After years of putting it off I decided to take the plunge. Booked my ticket and now I am saving like a looney toon.

So I am travelling SE Asia between 3rd Sept and Dec 2010, with a possible stop off in Bali. I am travelling alone and dont have a clue where to start. I dont want to miss single thing and I want to try everything. I'm pretty easy going, fan of sport rugby, scuba diving, dancing. luuuuuuuurve food and different cultures. A little aprhensive about safety and all that jazz but would love to meet with someone so its not so daunting.

Anyway if you're in the same boat, or you have any advice regarding which route to take, what to see and do please leave a message.

Only 63 days to go (excited much?!)

Love Carmen x

#1 Posted: 2/7/2010 - 19:45

• Advertisement

• tangledjung-
    le

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2010
    Location Ireland

Great news Carmen, congratulations!!

I'm in the exact same boat as you and I can't wait to get the flight booked.

I can only imagine how excited you are at the moment. Let the countdown begin! :)

I'll be heading off in the middle of September hopefully (travelling alone, no idea where to go as yet). Either straight to SE Asia or a couple of weeks in Eastern Europe first.

Def up for meeting like minded travellers on the journey!!

Drop me a line if you fancy talking about plans/ideas etc.

tangledjungle (at) gmail (dot) com

All the best of luck on the trip!
    Barry.

#2 Posted: 2/7/2010 - 22:04

• 0theories

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2010
    Location United States

Way to go Csrmen!

I'll be traveling around the area from Nov. to Apr. or so... I'm sure we'll run into each other. I've been doing a lot of looking around on places to go and see, but in the end, I find it's better to just fly by the seat of your pants. It's nice to have a tentative schedule/plan to fall back on if nothing else comes up, but usually something comes up in a sequence of events that leaves the original plan on a permanent sideline :) Just have a list of places to "not miss" and work out the logistics as they come up...

Lev

#3 Posted: 3/7/2010 - 22:40

• bellanabi

Joined Travelfish
    25th March, 2010
    Location Canada

Hey Carmen. Where did you book your flight to? I'm heading to Bangkok on August 30th, hanging round there for a couple days, then going to explore Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam for 2-3 months. If you are looking for a travel buddy or want to meet up at all, let me know.
    My email is kelly.gallagher@mail.mcgill.ca

happy travels,
    Kelly

#4 Posted: 11/7/2010 - 02:35

• Kruzon

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2010
    Location Cape Verde

Congrats, I took the plunge over three years ago and never left.

I strongly recommend two things:

One, be sure to slow down and relax as "Thai Time" will otherwise screw up a really tightly planned trip and cause you avoidable stress.

Two, this is especially true for first timers "newbies to Thailand" take in a cooking class from Ma-Sa-Man Cooking School & Bakery as this will give you three things

A. the morning trip to the market will educate you on what is, how much is a fair price, which foods you eat together and which ones you don't as some make your body hot and which should be eaten with fruits that are cold to the body.

B. You will learn what makes the difference in a deliscious taste as you will have created the dishes yourself from scratch. You will then know when you are served quality food whereever you eat Thai foods. You can learn to request your Thailand food vendors to not add MSG to your food and say it in Thai.

C. Chef Lee has lived in BKK and area all her life and is truely a useful resource to befriend.

Other than that you will be in a foreign country where English is not readily used by the indigenous people. So always be patient and never raise your voice as raising your voice is extremely bad form on your part and it will slow down resolving any issue.

Always, always, stay in control of yourself as almost all the grief stories from Thailand involve a loss of control.

When applying for your visa the most common long stay visa is the dual entry 60 day visa, which is truely a three month visa extendable to 6 months. An on arrival stamp is good for 30 days if arriving by air and extendable by leaving Thailand and rentry by land is only 15 days so then you must leave Thailand again in 15 days. Thai Visa rules are always subject to an overnoght unannounced rule change.

HAVE A SAFE TRIP AND ENJOY!

#5 Posted: 11/7/2010 - 09:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travelling to Pehrentian Islands in Sept 13-17 2010 ... By Blue_GS87 on 1 Sep 2010 0 1033 1 Sep 2010
Solo Trip Thailand-Malaysia (july-sept) 2010 need company ... By teepot on 29 Jan 2010 44 7040 4 May 2011