Companions forum

Solo Traveling - 22 year old chick, 6-7 months - advice needed

• katyesmith

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2010
    Location Australia

Hello all,

I am planning to go traveling by myself for about 7 months or as long as my pocket will allow me.

I went solo backpacking around UK/Euro about 3 years ago, and have traveled extensively to other destinations inclusive of Thailand. I have an open and respectful mind towards other cultures, yet craving a another extended culture shock!

Like anyone else, I have growing concerns about solo traveling by myself through SEA (mainly fueled by horror stories I have accidently stumbled across or fictional stories created by my mother).

A couple of people have reassured me that I will meet people along the way, and all will be well - and I am more than certain friends will come and meet me during my trip.

Basically, I was wanting some advice from fellow female solo travelers. Obviously you cannot predict the safety of my trip - as everyones is different, however wanting some insider knowledge.

I was planning on leaving on November, however due to last minute family commitments and my amazing ability to somehow spend my whole entire fortnightly pay check on rubbish has pushed the trip to early February.

First stop is Indo for some waves.

Drop me a line,

K

#1 Posted: 4/7/2010 - 21:22

• Advertisement

• pskim17

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2011
    Location United States

Oh man, I wish that you wrote this in 2011. I was reading this and was wondering if I had somehow posted this without realizing it.
    I am also going to travel by myself for about 6 months or as long as my wallet empties.

I went solo backpacking around Europe and North Africa about two years ago, and have backpacked around Asia. I have an open and respectful mind towards other cultures, yet craving a another extended culture shock! (same)

I leave for Indonesia next week to chase whale sharks.

How did you find traveling on your own? Were you asked where your husband was? When I was in Thailand and Malaysia, my traveling companion and I eventually agreed to be married. It was just easier.

Any words of advice you can pass on to a fellow woman traveller? Most of my friends just think I'm crazy, but something tells me you'll understand.

-Prisca

#2 Posted: 26/4/2011 - 03:17

• crooze

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2011
    Location India

travel is all about a discovery, of your own self, of the world and people. They say, nothing can teach you more than travelling. Like any experience travelling also has its own share of ups and downs. So, the only way to find out is go out and experience yourself.

As long as you follow some basic principals, you can be safe anywhere you travel around the world.

By the way, I live in jakarta now and frequent Bali quite often. If you guys are around that time, do let me know if you wanna catch up for a coffee or need any help.

Vic

#3 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 14:39

• lazybus

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2013

Hello, I highly recommend Taiwan for first time travelers to Southeast Asia! It's SAFE, CHEAP, BEAUTIFUL, FUN and the people there are super friendly. I'm a Taiwanese from Canada, and I noticed not many backpackers come to Taiwan because it's not famous enough! So me and my friend we made a new Facebook page about fun things to do in Taiwan, you can go check it out! Hope it helps:)

https://www.facebook.com/LazyBusTours

#4 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 11:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
traveling solo for two months during July-August ... By ohhey on 25 May 2013 2 1283 9 Jun 2013
Traveling around SEA from mid Jan til mid Feb ( 1 - 1.5 Months) Any Advice? ... By Caprizant on 11 Mar 2014 1 639 13 Mar 2014
Advice for 18 year old male first time traveller going to SEA for 6 months? ... By niallrichards94 on 9 Aug 2012 4 2019 16 Apr 2013
21 Year Old Solo Backpacker Thailand Advice ... By dbryant7 on 27 Apr 2010 5 7635 2 Jun 2010
Solo Female traveling in Feb/March: Itinerary and advice ... By smillertime78 on 18 Sep 2010 18 6592 22 Feb 2011
Solo traveller in Thailand, end of March!! Advice needed! ... By Talv on 13 Jan 2014 5 754 14 Jan 2014
Thailand, laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Bali - 6 months (Jan 2014) Advice needed ... By lewism05 on 15 May 2013 5 3187 21 Oct 2013
First time solo traveler off to SE Asia for 3 months next month, would appreciate some advice. ... By NFT_Terrorist on 13 May 2014 12 956 16 May 2014
2014 Travel Advice for 22yo Solo Female. SEA in 5 months on £5,000 plus must sees? ... By drewebear on 24 Jan 2013 11 2820 1 Feb 2013