Companions forum

Solo Female, Canadian, 26 - Oct - Nov

• twiggy84

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2010

Hi guys!

I've been backpacking through Oz/working since Feb. I decided to do 2 months in SE Asia but i'm a little hesitant to be going alone (no problem whatsoever in Oz but people from back home are telling me horror stories and reasons why a girl shouldn't travel alone in SE Asia).

Does anyone know how safe it is to travel alone as a girl???

That being said, would also be great to find someone to meet up with! I'm doing the first bit in Bali with a friend and then heading to Thailand on my own, hoping to volunteer in Surin at the Elephant Nature Park there around mid October (check out http://www.elephantnaturefoundation.org/go/surin). So aiming to be in Laos around Oct. 26 - 27 to do a Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Phuket trip over 4 - 5 weeks. No plans, just want an amazing experience :):)

Please help!!! I was so excited about this trip and now the people back home are starting to get to me....

#1 Posted: 18/8/2010 - 07:06

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

That elephant volunteer experience sounds phenomenal... plus I'm 26 and Canadian, too. Eerie... *cue the X-files music*

I also live in Singapore if you'll be passing through here.

send me an email tprocyshyn at gmail

Oh, and you're totally fine traveling alone. Just use common sense... like don't go stumbling around Phnom Penh drunk at 2 AM... there's a chance you'll get mugged or worse. Of course, that's also true for Winnipeg :P

#2 Posted: 18/8/2010 - 22:39

• twiggy84

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2010

That is definitely eerie!! Haven't met too many Canadians yet in my travels here in Oz. Yes, I was planning to spend 3 days in Singapore right after Bali (I have a friend coming to Bali but from then on i'm alone)!!!! Will send you an email :)

And Winnipeg?? Try Jane and Young Street in Toronto... notorious lol...

#3 Posted: 19/8/2010 - 07:18

• arundown

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2010
    Location Singapore

volunteer service sounds great.And for thailand no worries about going alone i i was there backpackin alone i met lot of female solo travellers around e world.one canadian girl too.It's all about staying at right places and catchin up right ppl to travel around.

If you are going to be at phuket patong beach is beautiful at e same time drunkard place so u can try some other baches !!!

#4 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 17:06

• arundown

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2010
    Location Singapore

Tanya your profile seems quite interesting cos Iam from Singapore too !!!!

#5 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 17:10

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore

twiggy -- what dates were you thinking about the Elephants?

arun -- hi! :)

#6 Posted: 23/8/2010 - 16:13

• arundown

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2010
    Location Singapore

Hi Hi !!!!
    If u girls meetin up in Singapore let me know prolly we culd roll out for a drink :)
    safe travels twiggy!!

Cheers

#7 Posted: 23/8/2010 - 17:15

• twiggy84

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2010

Let's plan something for Singapore - <b>Edited at author's request</b>

Durian - I was thinking of cutting out the week of volunteering to save time and see more of S.E. Asia. Was planning on Dec. 14, 15, 16 in Singapore (let's meet up!!!!) and then Dec. 17 start in Bangkok, head up through Sukothai to Chiang Mai and stay overnight one night at the Elephant Nature Park (it's not very expensive and all the $ goes towards the organization... very cool!)

Arun - how did you find and choose the right places to stay??? It would be nice to find more "hostel-style" places so I can easily meet more people, but from reading, it seems like it's mostly "rent a room"

#8 Posted: 24/8/2010 - 14:02

• arundown

Joined Travelfish
    1st June, 2010
    Location Singapore

Twiggy I've added u on facebook.Awesum.
    There are plenty of hostels around Thailand.To be frank i tryed hostel only in patong(phuket) & phiphi.
    mingled with many solo travellers and we all went to phiphi island togeder .Awesum experience.
    And then again u can try to find trav buddy's & hostel mate's through travbuddy site there are plenty of solo traveller's whom u can get to know.

If u need any accomodation info let me know.Let me know ure itinery so that i can rcommend u some!!

Cheers

#9 Posted: 24/8/2010 - 15:17

• kristinak

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2010

Hey, my name is Kristina and I'm also planning to travel solo around Thailand, Loas and Camodia from mid. Oct. to the end of Nov. I`m taking a massage course in Chaing Mai until the 29th and then i wanted to cheack out Loas and then Angkor Wat. Let me know if you`re still looking for a travel buddy.

#10 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 04:25

• Advertisement

• twiggy84

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2010

kristinak - Sounds like we'll be in Laos & Cambodia around the same time... send me a private message and we can chat about travel plans!! :)

#11 Posted: 20/9/2010 - 15:58

• kristinak

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2010

How do I send a private Message??

#12 Posted: 27/9/2010 - 01:32

• Bevatron

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2010
    Location United States

I'm 27y/o female from the US traveling alone. Basic Itinerary includes arriving in Bangkok October 18th, traveling north through Thailand until about October 7th, flying over to Hanoi, then traveling south through Vietnam until about the 26th of November, then west through Cambodia, and finishing with some Islands in Southern Thailand in December. Leaving from Bangkok to return home on Dec. 17th.

Let me know if we'll cross paths at any point! I'd love to meet as many people as possible!

#13 Posted: 2/10/2010 - 05:00

• erinleeann

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2010

Hey Kristin. My name is Erin, 23, from Canada. I will be backpacking solo through Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam from late October until......well I'm not really sure!! I'm going to be in Chiang Mai the same time your course is finishing! Still looking for travel buddies, so let me know :)

Cheers
    Erin

#14 Posted: 12/10/2010 - 01:58

• shawnmccrea

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2010
    Location Canada

27, male from Canada. Toronto actually.

Not travelling until the new year but I would love to compare intineraries and how your getting along. Also had a few questions about the Elephant sanctuary as im very interested. Just dont want to end going to a place that isnt actually a sanctuary rather exploits the animals.

Anyways not sure why I cant private message twiggy?

#15 Posted: 13/10/2010 - 03:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
23/f Solo Canadian looking for female buddy to do VIETNAM & Angkor Wat in June! Mostly Motorbike!? ... By beatrix on 10 Mar 2012 0 1017 10 Mar 2012
31/M Solo Canadian headed to Bali Aug 10th ... By andrefuture on 31 Jul 2012 0 621 31 Jul 2012
27 yo Canadian male solo, SE ASIA October to ??? ... By VonWOOTER on 15 Jul 2010 1 1994 13 Aug 2010