Companions forum

29 year old San Franciscan spending 6 months in most of SE Asia

• yipe

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2010
    Location United States

Hello Travelfish! Starting in mid to late October I'll be spending 6+ months backpacking through se asia and it would be fun to meet up with fellow travelers for a day, a week, or longer.

I have nothing set in stone (by design) but I plan on moving through Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, then Vietnam. I plan on learning to scuba dive and possibly sail, and I definitely plan on reading a lot on remote beaches. I'm also pretty serious about photography and look forward to meeting some fellow photo enthusiasts along the way. I'll be hiking/biking/driving with my camera gear to beautiful scenic locations and I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I had a second person with me since I imagine a solo traveler with a DSLR would stand out like a sore thumb.

Will any of you fine travelfishies™ be in those areas and interested to meet up? Anyone want to learn to scuba dive together? Any photo people want to travel in a small group to sketchier / more remote areas?

#1 Posted: 2/9/2010 - 08:04

• Advertisement

• Steve81

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010

Hi there! 29 yr old Welshhman here, will be doing similar trip to you, but I sart Sep 8th. Don't have set dates/route but looking to go to same places you are so may well be in a situation to meet up. Also very up for Scuba diving etc, anything like that really! Not much of a dab hand with the camera, but very into getting to the remote areas etc. Always keen for an adventure!

Steve

#2 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 04:50

• Cabawe

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2010

Hi there,

I'm heading out on the 1st of October (Bangkok) for 4-5 weeks, looking for a travel buddy also, absolutely nothing planed other than I'm going come hell or high water.

I'm on facebook >> tcabawe at matiatours dot com

Taz

#3 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 06:12

• Cabawe

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2010

Hi there,

I'm heading out on the 1st of October (Bangkok) for 4-5 weeks, looking for a travel buddy also, absolutely nothing planed other than I'm going come hell or high water.

I'm on facebook >> tcabawe at matiatours dot com

Taz

#4 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 06:13

• VonWOOTER

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Canada

I'm doing a similiar trip landing @ BKK first week of October. Getting certified is hundred percent on my list and I'm more or less winging my timeline. Though I'm not a credited photo guru by any means my little pentax does wonders. Best of luck.

Matt

#5 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 07:39

• Lynn2306

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

hey, Im lynn, from vietnam. im living in ho Chi minh city. welcome to our amazing city. if u want, we can meet up for drink something or i can show u around the city
    u can send an email to me when u are coming via this email: lynn.ho2306@gmail.com or contact with me via facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/lyhn.ho

#6 Posted: 8/10/2010 - 21:56

• lola899

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2010

Hi!
    I plan on going to SEA February 2010 for a couple of months, and plan on doing same activities you are, would love to meet up. Also a photography lover and plan on taking awesome photos. I plan on seeing a lot from beaches to taking bike trips...

Email me at lola899 at gmail

#7 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 01:41

• lola899

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2010

Hi!
    I plan on going to SEA February 2010 for a couple of months, and plan on doing same activities you are, would love to meet up. Also a photography lover and plan on taking awesome photos. I plan on seeing a lot from beaches to taking bike trips...

Email me at lola899 at gmail

#8 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 01:41

• travellite

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

Hey yipe, i'm doing 5 months in SEA starting in Dec. I'm a 23 yo American also from norcal, not the bay though, more towards Sac. Anyway sounds like we have some similar interests. I love photography although i'm not an expert just recreational really. I too have a SLR, however i'm opting to leave it at home since i'll be doing the whole "backpacker" thing. I definitely want to learn to scuba dive, also something i'm also really considering is seeing Vietnam by motorbike. I intend to hit up all the countries you listed, my itinerary/route is super tentative. I'd love to get off the beaten path a bit.

Cheers!

#9 Posted: 28/10/2010 - 06:27

• yipe

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2010
    Location United States

Hey travellite, email me at mike at yipe dot org. I'll be in Myanmar in the first half of december but around Dec 20th I'm in Cambodia and totally wide open after that… around Feb I want to make it to Thailand to meet up with another friend. I'd love to motorbike between the two, share accommodations, get into random adventures, etc. Talk to you soon! You can also check out my first two weeks of travel pics here: http://flickr.com/yipemike… I just took some fun pics of monkeys :)

#10 Posted: 28/10/2010 - 10:35

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
8 months to 1 year in SE Asia, itinerary help please! ... By jaggle on 28 Jan 2013 2 1793 28 Jan 2013
First-time backpackers, planning on spending 18months in SE Asia... Crazy? ... By swampgum on 11 Jul 2011 29 5564 14 Jul 2011