Companions forum

So many questions!

• Ashtravel

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2010

Hello, I'm 23 year old female thats just starting to plan my year long solo trip to Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam,china,Hong kong, and Japan. What are all the steps i need to do before i leave?

I'm just wanting to know if I need to apply for any visa before entering the country. Excluding australia, as I plan to work there. Will I be denied access if I don't have a return ticket? Will $15000.[url=tel:00-18000.00]00-18000.00[/url] be enough for a year?
    Is it safe to just "go with the flow?" and not buy any other plan tickets just buy as I go? So many questions!!!

I'm trying to get all my research in order. Having a hard time with trying to not research/planning too much. I want to "go with the flow" but I'm kinda nervous..

I plan to be in australia in July of 2011, I know I'm planning to far ahead, I just don't want to run into any issues.

I'm trying to find the best route. And maybe meet some other travelers doing the same thing. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 16/9/2010 - 21:32

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

From my experience both China and Vietnam you'll have to get a visa before you arrive - no visa on arrival.

If you are going to enter HK from China and then go back into China you must get a double-entry visa for China as entering HK will cancel your visa. Probably the best way to get into China if you want to see HK is to go to HK first and then head in.

#2 Posted: 17/9/2010 - 06:49

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Do you have a work visa for Australia? If not, say nothing about working to customs and immigration when you arrive.

Whether your money is enough for a year depends on how cheapish you travel and how long in each country. Australia is not necessarily expensive but at the moment our dollar is at a 10 year high. Seems possible to live off $5 a day in Laos.

A year is a long time when on the road, I would not plan too much and pay for transport costs as you go.

#3 Posted: 17/9/2010 - 07:42

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

PS. I've been to Japan 3 times and although not always as expensive as the horrors stories you hear it is still hard to travel for less then 7000yen a day (about $60 to $70US). Possible if you hitch-hike and sleep in the bush!

#4 Posted: 17/9/2010 - 07:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.