Companions forum

Buddy for a 19 y.o English girl; Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Malaysia - March 2011. :)

• sheppers

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2010

Hi guys,

I'm looking for someone to travel SE Asia with from March 2011. I don't have specific dates but would like to be away for my 20th which is the 13th of March! Hoping to spend a fair few months travelling around Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Malaysia.

I have travelled solo previously (Oz, NZ and Borneo) but would really like some company this time :) I'm thinking about doing my Divemaster whilst out in Asia so I'd be quite happy to travel with someone for a couple of months then if they were on limited time or off to somewhere else I'd just go back to Thailand to dive. Or obviously if anyone else wanted to do the same that'd be perfect!

I will stay out until my money runs out, which will hopefully be until July or August. So long as I'm home for mid-August it doesn't really matter.

I'm up for (almost) anything, love travelling, love having a good time. I'm open to ideas if there's somewhere else you wanted to include, as long as it's not too expensive as I will be quite tight on money.

Look forward to hearing from you :)
    Helen x

#1 Posted: 30/9/2010 - 02:43

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Helen!

I'm a 47-year-old American male, going bald, and not particularly good looking by any reasonable standard. On the plus side, however, I have travelled extensively in Thailand and southeast Asia, speak Thai reasonably well, and already have my advanced open water dive card :-)

Okay, obviously just kidding here, but did want to mention that, assuming you really are a young woman and not some old guy like me pretending to be a young woman, you won't have any trouble meeting people while you are on the road. Even I meet lots of people when I'm travelling.

The best places to meet folks are at the guesthouses where you'll stay, on longer-haul transport (bus, train, etc.), and on day trips and other organised activites, like dive master classes and stuff.

Also, don't forget that there are lots of nice local folks to meet where you are going too, and many would be quite happy to say hello and practice their English. Have fun. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 30/9/2010 - 04:17

• shawnmccrea

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2010
    Location Canada

Hey Helen,

Im Shawn from Canada, 27.

Kind of odd but I am loosely planning a similar trip as you are. I am planning on leaving most likely at the beginning of March, 2011 and flying into Bangkok. I have plans to stay travelling around South East Asia for 6 months + and possibly up to a year depending on how things go, money etc. I would also like to go to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia along with Borneo and possibly the Phillipines!

I have a suggested route to take from another user who has a lot of experience in the area but would be great to possibly travel for a bit togethor even if its just a few weeks at some point. I am also extremely interested in doing my Open Water PADI course as I have done intro dives but do I am yet to be certified!

I have travelled some on my own in Aus, NZ, South Africa but I was primarily with other people so this will be my first trip going completely alone. I know its easy and will meet a ton of people in guesthouses but would be nice to even discuss our possibly routes. Curious how Borneo as well and if you think its worth it.

Hope to discuss,

Cheers,

Shawn

#3 Posted: 30/9/2010 - 22:02

• lola899

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2010

Hi!
    I plan on going to SEA in February 2010. Also plan on traveling solo and volunteering, most of all seeing a lot of cool places. 21 year old female. Plan on traveling around Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, possibly Indonesia.
    Do let me know if you want to meet up! :)
    email lola899 at gmail

#4 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 01:45

• lola899

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2010

Hi!
    I plan on going to SEA in February 2010. Also plan on traveling solo and volunteering, most of all seeing a lot of cool places. 21 year old female. Plan on traveling around Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, possibly Indonesia.
    email lola899 at gmail

#5 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 01:45

• lola899

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2010

Hi!
    email lola899 at gmail

#6 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 01:45

• travellite

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

hey everyone, i'm a solo travel as well. i will probably be in Vietnam come March 2011 (i start my trip in Dec. 2010) I was considering seeing Vietnam by motorbike. Anyone interested?

#7 Posted: 28/10/2010 - 06:04

• shawnmccrea

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2010
    Location Canada

Hey travellite,

Im curious if its expensive to travel most of vietnam by moterbike and how exactly it works?

Do you rent a bike in one location and drop it off in another? I havent looked much into it but the thought definately intrigues me!

#8 Posted: 28/10/2010 - 20:35

• vivekanand

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2010

Hi, I am planning a trip to Vietnam in mid jan 2011 and I am planning to rent a motorcycle. I have 2 options, 1)If I do get any like minded person to do this trip I would want to venture into north of Vietnam which is supposedly the most scenic and a bikers paradise. 2)If am unable to find anyone to tag along, I may join some organized expedition. Let me know if anybody is interested in Hanoi as the base camp and ride around for a good 10 days and I will be more than glad to plan.

#9 Posted: 14/12/2010 - 23:18

• mc600

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2011

Hiya

Im a 25yo guy from Manchester, im a pretty laid back guy into similar things as yourself. Im flying out to Bangkok early April on my own and planing to travel the same countries as you. I planning on travelling Thailand first then Vietnam from the beginning of June then moving onto cambodia or Laos then maybe back to Thailand.
    My plans are fairly loose though so im willing to change them. Let me know if you wanna meet up or if you've got any questions just message me back.

Cheers

#10 Posted: 8/3/2011 - 04:50

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
March-May or June-Aug in Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Bali, Malaysia? ... By Triple007 on 29 Apr 2011 1 3685 3 May 2011
26 yr, male, looking for travel buddy to Thailand, Laos, and maybe Cambodia Jan 2011 ... By nucklehead84 on 10 Nov 2010 1 2584 12 Nov 2010
North Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia - English 31/F - October & November ... By katiepeeps on 17 Aug 2012 2 1351 18 Aug 2012
Sep 2011 Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam ... By rossco on 30 Apr 2011 19 3705 12 Jul 2011
thailand, laos, vietnam, cambodia travel buddy ... By danstout on 11 Apr 2013 5 1448 14 Apr 2013
22 y/o female looking for a buddy December/January 2011 to see Vietnam/Laos ... By nyx__ on 28 Jul 2011 4 2721 12 Dec 2011
Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam, End of March and on wards ... By neilmatt83 on 17 Feb 2011 7 2104 17 Feb 2011
Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam, End of March and on wards ... By neilmatt83 on 17 Feb 2011 16 3021 5 Mar 2011
June 2011. Thailand + Full moon party/Cambodia, Vietnam or Laos ... By sizzflair on 26 Apr 2011 4 4750 10 Dec 2011
26 Female - Nov 2012 - March 2013 Thailand, Laos,Cambodia,Vietnam, ... By LondonHoney8286 on 14 Feb 2012 25 5857 1 Nov 2012