Companions forum

23yr old, male, British, Freesprirt, Jan to April 2010.

• britishhippy

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2010

Hi guys and girls,

Im heading to Bangkok on 31st December 2010. Thailand, Laos, Cambodia. Havent really got a plan as of yet, just gonna let myself flow with whatever comes at me. Im not up for wasting my time drinking everyday day and night. I wanna see some stuff, take some photos, meditate a little, get a massage, do some scuba and have a good time.
    If you wanna flow with me or direct me a little bit, get in touch.

Peace

Sam

#1 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 05:28

• Advertisement

• sirhalberd

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2007

I would consider booking a room for New Years Eve instead of walking around looking for a place to sleep at.

New Rail Link from the airport is helpful. You can either get a hotel in the Pratunam area near one of the last two stops or use a meter taxi from those stops to a hotel in another part of the city. Up until midnight on the 31st the price is only 15 baht for the ride.

Keep in mind that some hotels have parties that night that you may have to contribute to.

Good luck.

#2 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 09:15

• tonysplace

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2010
    Location Thailand

Hey mate,
    we are in the very north of Thailand in a place called Nan,i think you will find everything you mentioned plus more here mate.Check out my blog and if you need any more info or help with anything you can contact me no problem,happpy travelling mate and maybe we will see you in December.Heres my blog site>>>>>>http://tonysplacenanthailand.blogspot.com/2010/10/free-camping-tonys-placenanthailand.html

#3 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 11:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

How's the nightlife in Nan?

#4 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 15:34

• tonysplace

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2010
    Location Thailand

Pretty quiet really mate,we have two nightclubs and some nice restaurants come bars,its well worth a visit just for the stunning temples,mountains etc.

#5 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 17:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Tony
    I'm not much of a temple / nature kind of guy. I enjoy dancing, a good band, I love to play chess (Thai and international), I like the fights (international boxing). Although I vounteer at a temple doing construction work, I don't go to "visit" them or sightsee. It's just not my thing.

#6 Posted: 17/10/2010 - 17:42

• britishhippy

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2010

@ Sirhalberd - Im going to be getting into Thailand early on Jan 1st. Do u still recommend booking a room in advance?

@ tonysplace - Nan sounds pretty nice. Is it as rural as it looks in the photos? If you offer a free campsite i may never leave, just warning you.

#7 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 02:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"@ tonysplace - Nan sounds pretty nice. Is it as rural as it looks in the photos? If you offer a free campsite i may never leave, just warning you."

I would think that it wouldn't take too many fire ant events to convince you to vacate the campsite. The natural environment in Thailand is not as benign as Britain, with lots of creatures that can range from annoying to lethal roaming around. My wife and I have property in rural Thailand and so I've spent a fair amount of time there. Sounds idyllic - but as is normal in life, reality intrudes.

#8 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 16:18

• tonysplace

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2010
    Location Thailand

britishhippy Yeah its on the outskirts of town,the restaurant is in the front, my house on the side and a massive garden at the rear with my rabbits, ducks ,chickens and catfish,thet never bother the campers though.Motorbike rental is availible in town for about 100THB a day(About 2 pound) We are about 5 minutes out of town on a motorbike.Come and pitch your tents folks.
    Check out the blog>>http://tonysplacenanthailand.blogspot.com/

#9 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 16:26

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

100 baht a day on motorcycle rental - good deal.

#10 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 18:52

• Advertisement

• diver515a

Joined Travelfish
    18th October, 2010

Hey Sam,

I will arriving in Bangkok on the 27th of Decemeber after some time in Burma. I am looking to head up to Northern Thailand to do Chiang Mai, Pai, and Mae Hong Son (hopefully renting a motorbike if I can find someone to take the Mae Hong Son loop with me)! I want to spend at least two weeks in the region. Then I will be heading in to Laos via Huay Xai then down to Pakbeng, Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, and Vientiane. Onto Hanoi / Sapa / Mai Chau before heading south eventually ending in Ho Chi Min City.

Would love to have someone to meet up with during my trip! Let me know

Cheers,

Lauren

#11 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 08:40

• lola899

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2010

Hey Guys,

I plan on volunteering in Thailand in february for a month and then travel to laos, vietnam, etc. Would love to meet up with some people. I plan on seeing temples and seeing what the countries have to offer. Also wouldnt mind taking a diving course and take bike tours.

Let me know if you want to meet up or taking similar route!
    lola899 at gmail

#12 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 23:06

• britishhippy

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2010

Hi Lauren,
    Your plan sounds pretty similar to mine. I was planning on spending a little more time up in that region but ill decide that once im there. The Mae Hong Son loop thing sounds pretty cool, just checked it out. Ive never rode a bike tho so not sure how that would work.
    Where abouts are you from? How long are you in Southeast Asia for?

Lola899,
    Im not going to be in Thailand in February, prob gonna be in Laos or Cambodia. But feel free to get in touch if you wanna just chat about what ur gonna be doing. What sort of volunteering are u doing?

#13 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 02:44

• lola899

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2010

britishhippy- looking into teaching children english in february and then plan on traveling...first time doing it, and want to help out somewhere

first time traveler to SEA??

#14 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 06:19

• diver515a

Joined Travelfish
    18th October, 2010

Sam,

I'll be in South East Asia from the beginning of December through mid February. I'll be spending December in Burma but will be back in Bangkok on the 27th of Dec and will head north from there. I don't anything set in stone as of yet but am looking to do Thailand. Loas, Vietnam, Cambodia before I leave in February.

#15 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 08:57

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Diver
    Given the road distances involved (and sometimes the very slow pace on those roads) I hope you like hanging out in bus terminals and riding buses, because traveling to all of those places in the time you've got means you'll be spending a large portion of your vacation time on a bus.

#16 Posted: 21/10/2010 - 13:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
31 yr old male Aussie travelling to Cambodia, Laos & Vietnam from mid Nov 2010 to Feb 2011 ... By Newbeginnings on 25 Oct 2010 4 2379 31 Oct 2010
Thailand/Cambodia/Laos/Phillippines April to mid May. 24yo male from US ... By tazed on 31 Mar 2012 1 755 4 Apr 2012
26 year old male solo traveler:1/29/2011- April/May/June??? ... By bradencobb on 11 Jan 2011 1 2983 15 May 2013
22 y/o solo male from Canada - Heading south from Laos to Indonesia Feb-April ... By alreadythere on 25 Jan 2011 0 1449 25 Jan 2011