Companions forum

Vietnam on motorbike anyone?

• gdansk

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2010

Hi

I'm going to start my trip around November 15th in HCMC.
    Travelling solo, let me know if you have similar plans.

Marek

#1 Posted: 19/10/2010 - 22:10

• Advertisement

• travellite

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

hey Marek, let me know how your trip ends up. I'm thinking about seeing Vietnam by motorbike as well, only not until March 2011. I'll be travelling solo too so hopefully i can meet up with a group along the way.

whats your riding experience?

#2 Posted: 28/10/2010 - 05:30

• camellia89

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hey,
    I am camellia from australia.
    I want to travel around the world so i sign up to this forum to have more knowledges about traveling,
    Hope to be a part of this community.

#3 Posted: 28/10/2010 - 11:55

• gdansk

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2010

hi

Hey CAMELLIA89 welcome on the forum!

Hey TRAVELLITE
    i have some riding experience, mostly in SE asia, and mostly on scooters, but i know how to ride "clutch" bike too.
    will be looking for one of the Honda Bonus bike, wich seems to be quite reliable. I have no solid route plan, got 7 weeks so no rush.
    Can't wait to get to Vietnam. i'll let you know how it goes.

#4 Posted: 28/10/2010 - 15:09

• camellia89

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

i am very eager about this tour. Look forward to it.

Open Source Development

#5 Posted: 29/10/2010 - 10:46

• 0theories

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2010
    Location United States

Hi,

I'll be buying a bike there in January (or so). Want to ride all of Vietnam and hopefully into Laos and Cambodia. Will be traveling solo as well, so would love to hear more about your trip. I'm sure a group shouldn't be too hard to find. I haven't ridden much outside the US, but own a 800cc bike here. Riding a little 110 should be interesting :) Looking to buy a minsk (for style and sentiment), but will probably end up with a honda because they're the best...

enjoy, lev

#6 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 02:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I have to admit I find the fascination with the Minks and other small bikes here on Travelfish interesting. It seems nobody rides anything bigger than 125cc. That indigenous persons do I understand, it's about money. But that everyone on travelfish seems to - I don't understand.

#7 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 19:33

• 0theories

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2010
    Location United States

I thought bikes over 125cc were illegal in Vietnam. That's just what I gathered from the forums here. I would way rather ride a 650-ish bike if I could get one. I read they're available in Thailand, but you can't bring them into Vietnam and (maybe) Laos and Cambodia. I'm sure you know better than I, so please confirm or deny this nasty rumor. Aside from that though, the price of a 125cc bike is a major attraction. Looks like I can pick one up with gear and parts for about $300. I would spend more than that on bus tickets if I didn't buy a bike! I imagine a 650cc bike (if it's even available) would run into the thousands $$ (which of course may be worth it...).

#8 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 23:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I think you have to be part of a motorcycle club in Vietnam to have a bike over 175cc - that's what I heard. Not positive. Thailand has no restrictions and you can (and my friends have) riden to Laos on bikes as large as 750cc. The trick as always is actually getting a bike, because to buy in Thailand you have to live in Thailand.

#9 Posted: 17/11/2010 - 20:28

• 0theories

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2010
    Location United States

:) I guess that would explain the fascination travelfish people have with small bikes... since they're the only ones we can get. I'm going to hold on to mine for at least a couple of months while touring several countries, so it doesn't make sense to rent. There's also the attention and theft factor... Last thing I want is to come cruising into some village on a giant, shiny, monster bike that just screams "I'M RICH" (which is quite contrary to the facts).

happy trails, lev

#10 Posted: 18/11/2010 - 05:23

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

In Thailand, screaming "I'm rich" is the way to go. Gets you respect, and I've never had a thing stolen here in the three and a half years I've lived here. I've heard of scamming going on in tourist areas though.
    It would seem a tourist can buy a bike in Vietnam, not sure about Cambodia, but pretty sure no in Laos and definitely no in Thailand. The bike size doesn't matter.

#11 Posted: 18/11/2010 - 23:27

• kfie

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2011

hello,
    i'm going to be in central Vietnam around March 16 and travelling solo, looking for someone to do a motorbike tour with. i'm hoping to head south from hoi an, but i could meet up farther down the coast. probably just do the motorbike tour for about 5 days. please let me know if you are interested! thanks

#12 Posted: 2/3/2011 - 10:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.