Companions forum

In SEA Dec 7 -Jan 1. Blank slate. Must. Make. Plan!!

• cja17

Click here to learn more about cja17
    Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hey all,

I'll be into Singapore 7 December and back out 1 Jan.

At the moment I have a completely blank slate, but am leaning towards a fortnight or so in Northern Laos, then dashing down to the Andaman coast for some underwater stuff.

Hope to cross paths with any random travelfishers in the neighbourhood. Say hello if you fancy a Beer Lao/splitting the cost of a trekking trip etc...

More about stuff I like to do here:

http://www.globaljunkie.net

Cheers, Christian

PS Everyone else seems to post their age on this forum, so here goes - 41 (ouch!)

#1 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 03:56

• Advertisement

• LozOnTheGo

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2010

Hey Christian
    I fly into Singapore 25 Nov and out of BKK end of Dec. I was planning to go from Hanoi to Vientiane somewhere around beginning Dec depending how things work out. Would be great to meet up with someone for trekking (and beer!) in Laos. Also is a relief to see a post from someone over 30!
    Take care
    Loz - 38 - eeek!

#2 Posted: 7/11/2010 - 17:07

• cja17

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hey Loz,

Nice to get a reply. Yep, there do seem to be a few youngsters on here don't there - lucky them!

I'm still trying to suss out if I've got enough time to fit Laos in as it seems transport can be a bit slow. Which way round had you looked at? - I'm leaning towards into Vientiane by flight 9 Dec, then heading North and needing to be out of Laos and into Chiang Mai on the 23rd to get a flight to the Andaman coast.

Would like to see Vientiane, LP, Nong Khiaw/Muang Noi. Have you discovered any "must-do" ideas in Northern Laos yet e.g. short 1-2 day treks??

Not long until your adventure starts now!

Best

Christian

#3 Posted: 7/11/2010 - 20:44

• LozOnTheGo

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2010

Hello
    oh dear you have caught me out as 'plan' still in gestation phase! Actually due to fly to Oz tomorrow, still only half packed and Qantas schedule a bit fluid at the moment. Will get back to you once there (will read guidebook on flight)!
    Loz

#4 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 02:15

• cja17

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

No problem Loz - like you my plans are still a bit fluid - not sure if 2 weeks is enough for Laos, and that's about all I can spare on this trip. Safe journey - "Quantas schedule a bit fluid at the moment" sounds slightly worrrying...

#5 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 01:25

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hi guys..... Unfortunately I'm not planning a trip for that time, but wanted to say that it's nice to read of others in my age bracket doing some solo travel through SEA and wanted to do a shout out and say hi!

I was there last year for a 5 month trip and did some parts on my own, and some with a friend, and I'm planning on going back next year for another few months - this time, all on my own and I can't wait.

Enjoy your trip!

Lisa
    45+ (still in denial and not ready to accept it yet!)

#6 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 03:48

• cja17

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Cheers Lisa, thx for saying hello.

Wow - 5 months in SEA last year, "another few months" next year - I am very jealous. Do you blog? - if so PM me the link.

I'll be back in SEA next year so will try and cross paths then...

Christian

#7 Posted: 10/11/2010 - 04:37

• LozOnTheGo

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2010

Hello to Lisa too...this is my first solo trip so really pleased there will be other geriatrics roaming about! Ditto re bloglink if you have one.
    Made it to Melb - flight was delayed 1.5 hrs taking off and then about 3.5 hrs delayed overall into Melb. Not sure if delays are due to passengers still stranded due to grounded Airbuses...
    To Christian..yes looking at my 'plan' think I have tried to fit far too much in so will sit down and have a look at a revised version with a more realistic time frame.
    Anyway - safe travels everyone.
    take care Loz

#8 Posted: 11/11/2010 - 06:28

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey Loz - can you enable your Private Messaging so that I can send you the link?

Login, then go to the Member Centre, go to Profile, then click on Edit Profile. There is an option on there to enable Private Messages.

If you want inspiration, check out some of the posts made by SBE, another 'age experienced' traveller (no offence, SBE!) who has done a fair bit of solo travelling, usually for 6 months at a time - and not just to namby-pamby, easy destinations. I believe she's wandering somewhere in the depths of Sulawesi at the moment so she hasn't been online for awhile.

I have just grabbed some of the 'free' tickets being offered by Air Asia for the start of my travel for next year - Sept onward. Wahoo! It feels good to know that I have made some sort of commitment now!

#9 Posted: 11/11/2010 - 07:33

• LozOnTheGo

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2010

hallo
    have enabled messaging - sorry for delayed response! Would love to read a blog from 'proper' traveller - Im just about bumbling my way through these namby-pamby locations - is fun though!

Take care
    Lozx

#10 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 09:45

• Advertisement

• DeborahP

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2010

Hi

I am hitting BKK on 02 Dec and heading down into the islands for the first 60 days of my triple visa. Will mostly likely end up on KPN and bed in for Dec and first few days of Jan and then move to another island before heading up to Cambodia or Laos.

Give me a nudge if you are about, but I will be online intermittently so bear with me for a reply.

Oh and I am 39 :-(

Debs

#11 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 22:05

• cja17

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hey Deborah

I'll certainly say hello if I'm around KPN, as I'm sure the other posters on this thread will.

I'm still veering wildly between conflicting plans, but have to decide this weekend which b****y country I'm going to!

Safe journey to BKK - sounds like you've a great adventure ahead of you...

Update: Am now 42 :-( :-(

#12 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 22:33

• DeborahP

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2010

Thanks and all the best in whatever you decide to do

Debs x

#13 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 23:20

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hi Loz - you're private message still isn't enabled. Might be easiest to send me a message by clicking on the link next to my name.

PS I'm not sure what a 'proper' traveller is... but I doubt that I'm there yet! My rambing posts are primarily based on just the two trips that I have done in the last 3 years (one 6 week trip and one 5 months). But I aim to change that (somehow)!

#14 Posted: 27/11/2010 - 05:18

• LozOnTheGo

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2010

Hey Christian
    did you decide on a country in the end?? I am in Vientiane and heading north for trekking - let me know if your up this way as could hook up - if not enjoy the sea!!
    Loz

#15 Posted: 5/12/2010 - 12:41

• cja17

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

No land of smiles for me this time Loz - have DMd you with proper note and already think I've made the wrong choice! - anyone up for a night out in Cebu on Wednesday?

#16 Posted: 7/12/2010 - 03:06

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Have some lechon cebu for for me, it is the best roast pig

http://blog.travelchannel.com/anthony-bourdain/read/hierarchy-of-pork/

#17 Posted: 8/12/2010 - 14:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.