Companions forum

Flying into BKK 02 Dec from UK

• DeborahP

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2010

Hi

I am flying into Bangkok on the evening of 02 Dec from the UK (via Dubai). I am 39 year old female solo traveller who will be making her way to KPN or the Southern Adamam coast, weather depending, after a night or 2 in Chinatown.

Anyone else coming in at that time who wants to hook up?

#1 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 20:32

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I don't know about the islands but that night or two in Chinatown is intriguing.
    Have I been missing something all these years?
    I'll be flying in same night.
    What's going down in Chinatown?

#2 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 20:55

• DeborahP

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2010

Nothing going on down in China town that I know of but I decided to stay there to be closer to the station. I am going to go in and get my overnight train ticket in advance and it saves commuting back and forth.

#3 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 21:12

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

FYI
    I don't know if you know Bangkok,if you do feel free to ignore my advice but Chinatown hotels are mostly dives used by the local ladies of the night.KhaoSan Rd area (not the road itself) is a better bet and a bit more fun and a taxi to Hualamphong station will cost you 50 baht and take 10 minutes (or half hour if it's rush hour.)

#4 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 23:57

• DeborahP

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2010

Thanks for your post Sayadian but the place I am staying has been recommended to me by a fellow traveller, and is not on the 'main strip' I did KhaoSan the last time (on arrival, stupidly,the main road and before departure 1/4 mile away) and just felt like a hassled farang the whole time.

But thanks again for your post. All knowledge is gratefully received.

#5 Posted: 27/11/2010 - 00:19

• mysticpaki

Joined Travelfish
    24th April, 2006

Hi Deb
    China Town has some authentic Indian restaurants and some great Thai and chinese ones.
    For shopping go to Sampeng Lane where you will find things cheaper then anywhere in Thailand.
    May i ask what youre paying and which hotel youre in as im tempted also to stay in China town area.
    For Ko Phanagan if youre not a prty animal like me then stay at Plaas on Thaan Sadet beach.Her bungalows for 400 to 500 baht after a bit of bargaining are beautiful with a lovely tiled toilet sliding aluminium windows and doors located on a small hill and the view in the day and night is worth a million bucks.Food like on all beaches is expensive.The beach and water is great and you can swim without worrying about low tide.Only drawback no hot water and electricity only from 7 till 11 lol.
    Have you been to Laos by any chance?
    If you need any more info feel free to add me on msn or write to me on cliche61@hotmail.com
    Cheers
    Eddie

#6 Posted: 29/11/2010 - 05:22

• DeborahP

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2010

Hi Eddie

Cheers for the reply.

The place that has been recommended is the New Road Guesthouse. Was a bit gutted to find it in LP and I am hoping with it being recommended in there it has not changed too much and the prices are still the same.

Want to do the FMP on KPN but do not want to stay in party central. I will look out for your recommendation.

Debs

#7 Posted: 29/11/2010 - 20:40

• SailorBoy

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2010

Hi... I'm arriving at BKK on 1st dec evening..I'm a 28 y.o. male from India, first time solo; so any travel related wisdom is greatly appreciated :) ... I'll stay in KSR for 4-5 days before heading north(I'm giving the islands a miss)... would be great to meet up while in town :)
    Take care,
    Anand
    rockmaster07@gmail.com

#8 Posted: 29/11/2010 - 22:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.