Companions forum

Vietnam S-N Jan 2011 30yo f

• beatgirl98

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2010

Hi all,

I'm looking for a travel buddy for Vietnam- getting into HCMC around 20th Jan and leaving around 15th Feb into Laos. Doing all the usual stuff - Saigon, maybe Dalat Hue, Hoi An,Hanoi and HalongBay- maybe Sapa. Fancy joining??

Anna

#1 Posted: 16/1/2011 - 15:01

• Advertisement

• ChrisJenko

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

hey Anna,

I hate to put a downer on your trip but speaking from experience as i am in vietnam right now but the dates you have chosen to spend here in Vietnam are during the Vietnamese Tet festival. Unless you have prebooked a bit of your accommodation and transport between cities your gona find it very hard to travel during the chosen dates. Its only the 16th here now and im in Hue looking to hit Hanoi on the 21st for 10 days and i have even found it hard to book accommodation and transport this far out.

That and the prices have gone up at least 100% already on the normal prices for said Accomm/Transport... I Think Tet would be a great time to travel but you will find it a little taxing.... If you want any info on prices i have encountered so far pop me a message and i'll try and help out if i can.

#2 Posted: 16/1/2011 - 15:39

• beatgirl98

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2010

Hey Chris -

Thanks for the info, I just realised it would be Tet today reading a guidebook ) : It appears to be on Feb 2nd, but do you know how long it goes on for?

I tried to PM you but I don't think you've got the option to PM switched on (in members centre)

Anna

#3 Posted: 17/1/2011 - 17:10

• Aisa_Basia

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location United States

Posted from within Vietnam.

Anna,

I'm in a village, about 10 Km away from Hoi An. TET to Vietnamese can go on for weeks, but I heard most tourist attractions/tourist focused area would be closed at-least Jan 29th-Feb 6th, give and take, a week as people would do their deep cleaning/cleansing of their home to welcome the New Year and their ancestors to celebrate the festival.

Not only it's taxing on your pocket book but difficult to book any flight to return to the big cities as people went home to spend the New Year and come back into the big cities to resume work. After the New Year, about Feb 6th/7th or so, then things might be slightly better.

I'm also stuck in this area for now as flight tickets had been sold out from HCM to Da Nang for about a month. Otherwise, I would have been flying back and forth btwn both cities.

Don't know where you are, but another option is to take the bus or train but note that it will be overwhelming crowded.

If you happen to be in or near Da Nang, PM me and we can check things out together.

#4 Posted: 31/1/2011 - 13:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.