Companions forum

27 M in S. Vietnam to motorbike to Hanoi

• rocky4

Joined Travelfish
    11th February, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hey everyone, I am 27 M looking to motorbike from HCMC to Hanoi in the next couple of days, hopefully by Feb. 15. I did not really plan on it, but I have heard amazing stories, and I wanted to post it and see if anyone else is down to roll. I have driven a motorbike, but am in no way "experienced". Maybe I will be after this!!

I have to be in Hanoi by the 11th of March. So i would like to head up pretty slowly!

Anyone down!?

peace

#1 Posted: 11/2/2011 - 18:56

• Advertisement

• farflunglori

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2010

Hi,
    I've ridden around a bit, and just want to suggest when you choose your route, to go inland as much as possible. other riders I've met have taken HWY1 on the coast and it sucks. the Ho Chi Mihn HWY is awesome though. Parts have almost no traffic and gorgeous riding.
    Get an atlas.
    Good Luck

#2 Posted: 13/2/2011 - 09:16

• rocky4

Joined Travelfish
    11th February, 2011

Thank you!!

I am heading out on Tuesday morning. I plan to go through the countryside as much as I can. I am not a super experienced motorbike driver, so my first objective is to stay away from traffic. I am super excited, couldnt find anyone to go with me right now, but im sure ill run into folks on the way!!

Have you done it, any other advice!?

peace,

#3 Posted: 13/2/2011 - 19:22

• farflunglori

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2010

You will meet people along the way. Just take your time and enjoy. Sometimes people alone race through and miss the interaction that comes with taking it slow. Enjoy the views. Watch out for animals (and kids). Coast down the long downhill stretches. It is quiet and peaceful. Don't drive at night. Learn to identify guesthouses and hotels. Every area has different names. People will invite you in. Have a phrase book. Take lots of pictures. Take smaller side roads (get an atlas).
    Have fun!!!!
    Cheers

#4 Posted: 13/2/2011 - 20:46

• rocky4

Joined Travelfish
    11th February, 2011

Hey,

So I have started my trip, i am in Kon Tum at the moment! My nose is burnt, my hands are burnt, my knees are burnt, and ass is bruised in a way that asses shouldnt be bruised. And I am having the most amazing time!!

I wanted to ask you about the roads. Traveling alone and having no one to say whether my idea is a good or bad one, I want to take the roads that are off of the highway, you know the dirt roads that go off to the villages and are off to the side, but am not sure if its a smart thing to do alone, you know what i mean? Those roads look like the ones that I want to take!!

Same goes for the HCM Highway? The highway is now considered the HCM trail, isnt it? Even though it is not REALLY the HCM trail itself, right?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Peace

#5 Posted: 24/2/2011 - 15:19

• farflunglori

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2010

I hope you got the atlas. The little yellow roads are the best. We ran into complete mud baths on the dirt roads, which were tough to get through. you never know. I just rode around in the north back into fabulous villages where I was a total novelty. Go for it. People will do their best to help you if you get stuck. I saved up a bag of hotel toothbrushes and gave them away to a group of about 100 women and children waving at me as I was passing by. They were so happy to get them. I threw them in the air to the crowd, everyone laughing and jumping for them. Go where your heart takes you.
    Have a great time.

#6 Posted: 24/2/2011 - 15:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.