Companions forum

grl travelling on own laos/thailand

• rgriffin9

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2011

Hiya,
    Just looking for a little bit of advice as I'm leaving for Thailand shortly and little nervous about travelling on my own - hoping to go from Bangkok to Chiang Mai to Laos (Luang Prabang, Vientiane) then Cambodia (particularly Siem Reap / Angkor Wat) for a month or so and looking for some reassurance - wondering whether I should do a tour like intrepid or something but would prefer not to as would like to have an authentic experience - the thing that's worrying me the most is border crossings...Is intrepid or similar worth it or should I just do it on my own?
    Anyway anyone with any reassuring words about 20 something girls on their own or a potential travel buddy let me know!

cheers.

#1 Posted: 12/4/2011 - 18:07

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Relax. This place is about as safe as it gets. Yes, the occassional tourist dies or the occassional female tourist is raped - but when you think about the numbers coming here, the risk is really small. Just don't be stupid and you'll be fine. Biggest risk I have noted with women being victimized here is when they want to experience nature alone - bad call. Not a good idea for a guy either, but worse for a woman. But in the urban environments, no problem. Don't get falling down drunk or find yourself walking alone in dark alley's at midnight, and you should be fine.

As for border crossings - your sex has nothing to do with them. No, you don't need a tour group.

As for "authentic experience", I'm not sure what this means. For most kids your age, it means hanging out with other 20 somethings pondering the great questions of the world while getting drunk and pretending they are "travellers" and not tourists (who are, of course, much maligned). Perhaps you mean something else. Any experience you have here, either with a tour group or not, will be authentic 'cause it will be yours. The question is really what are you looking for during your trip? I agree I would not want to be on a tour because I want to go where I want without consideration of others desires. So I think you are on the right track there. So as you lay out a rough plan, just go ahead and have a good time. Exercise common sense and you'll be fine. This is not a dangerous place unless you're stupid (or unlucky).

#2 Posted: 12/4/2011 - 20:20

• annieehyett

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2011
    Location United States

Hey there,
    are you looking for a travel buddy, or set on going alone? If so, i am looking for a companion. I am thinking about heading out around august/september 2011. Do you have any rough dates set?

#3 Posted: 13/4/2011 - 07:02

• rgriffin9

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2011

Thanks Madmac, I wasn't too worried about being raped or murdered (ok maybe a bit) but more about being an easy target for maybe mugging or scams or similar as I'm a girl and on my own or whatever. But like you said I'm probably worrying about nothing!
    The logistics of the border crossings was a concern for me which was why I thought a tour would be easier given I have a pretty short time frame for where I'd like to go - I was wondering if anyone had been on one of those and whether they felt they were worthwhile or whether it's better to just meet people as you go..
    As for an authentic experience, that was probably a poor choice of words - just tossing up bwn a tour and travelling on my own and I thought doing it on my own would be better as I can choose where I want to go, try to hang out in slightly less touristy places, that kind of thing. Of course I get that whatever way I do it I'll still be a tourist. I just started freaking out about being on my own in a new country where I don't speak the language etc which was the reason for my post!
    Thanks for your comments though, much appreciated.

To annieehyett, I'm just on my own due to circumstances rather than being set on it and would be v happy to find a travel buddy but I leave in May for only a month so won't be able to catch up - hope you have a great trip though!

#4 Posted: 13/4/2011 - 14:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well, if you come by Mukdahan way, drop me a line. I'll show you around here and can steer you from this point. At any rate, have a good time and let us know how it goes.

#5 Posted: 13/4/2011 - 17:46

• kdnr7

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2011

hey, I was planning on doing something similar to you and I leave to Bangkok in mid may, I was going to go with a friend but then they pulled out and I went ahead anyway, it would be nice to have someone to go around with if only till we get used to the place, do you know which date you are leaving on ?

#6 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 01:14

• sunshynedayz

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2011

hey rgriffin,
    i'm doing the same thing, almost the same trip as you are starting 4/26 in Bangkok. Planning on spending 2 days there, then Chiang Mai, crossing the border into Laos for about a week and down to Cambodia. What is your itinerary looking like? Would love to meet up and do some traveling together!

#7 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 01:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.