Companions forum

all alone in bangkok

• andrea13

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

hey all, i arrived this morning for my first day of the trip and already feel so lonely. i knew it would be tough but its awful! maybe i just need sleep but...can anyone reccommend places to stay in chiang mai that will help me meet backpakcers or any kind of tourist? i.e. hostels? the one im in now is so quiet. i was hoping to find people to travel with but no such luck. i know its only a day so far but not sure i can do the totally independant traveller thing for 2 months! if anyones heading up in the same position message me. ill be getting the overnight train direct to chiang mai tomorrow (sat) night. cheers! ps. sorry its a bit of a garbled cry for help

#1 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 19:28

• Advertisement

• Dadi

Joined Travelfish
    1st May, 2011

I will land in Bangkok 21st of July and the plan is to head north pretty soon after i land, so if you will still be in that arena at that time then it would be cool to maybe meet up. My email is dadi316@hotmail.com if you want to contact me

#2 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 19:39

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Very quiet...in Bangkok...in July? Where are you staying??

Surprised that there's nobody heading up to CM at your hostel. It's a classic first stop in Thailand but never mind. The actual travelling (buses and trains) is often something you have to do alone because everyone has different schedules.

Place to stay in CM where you might meet people and not feel lonely...

OK, try this place. Haven't stayed there myself but I've heard good things about it, very friendly atmosphere and it's very cheap too. You mention staying in hostels so I presume you want inexpensive not 5 star accommodation?

The owner just happens to be a very helpful and knowledgeable poster on TF (who you might just recognize) as well. ;-)

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailandadditions/7991_ginny-place-guesthouse-in-chiang-mai

#3 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 20:35

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi andrea,

that first night in bangkok can always be tough after a long flight and with the jet lag adding to any disorientation you might feel. but chiang mai is a great place to meet folks. a good bet might be on the overnight train ride where you'll be part of a captive audience and have lots of time to start up a chat or share a beer or such.

i like SBE's recommendation to stay at ginny place. day tours are another solid chance to meet folks. so are restaurants and pubs. in my experience single women have a much better chance to meet people as they can tag along with other single women, single guys, or couples.

plus, there is a definite up side to travelling by yourself. more flexible. fewer compromises. etc. you'll be great. chin up and have a wonderful time. regards.

#4 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 21:58

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

when you get to CM sign up for a cooking class. many places offer them & they are a great way to meet fellow travelers. I took the one offered by Baan Thai, it was really fun and the food was great. Visiting The Elephant Nature park is another excursion where you are sure to meet fellow travelers.
    I am a solo traveler too, and those first few days were the hardest. Hang in there.

#5 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 08:09

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Andrea
    You just got off the plane. Give yourself a little time. If you make it out to Mukdahan look me up, and I'll introduce you to some people around here.

#6 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 11:46

• Blackartemis

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2011

There are a myriad of Hotels ranging from 200-500B a night at Taepae Gate area, about a 40B trip by red truck from the train station. Furthermore this is a great place to stay as Sunday is "Walking Street" day, where the roads shut down and all the locals sell their products, a good mix of tourist products and local products. Inside the city there are quite a number of temples to see, and they are free. Just remember to dress polite and kneel when taking a picture of a Buddha image.

You can get to the Night Bazaar and any other attractions in CM easily from this area.
    I would put Doi Suthep, 30b entrance fee plus the 10km ride up the mountian, Elephant camp, around 1500-2000B or so, and temple tours (can be done alone, hiring a tuk tuk or going with friends) on the top of your list.

I can't recommend any treks in the 3+ years of living here I never did a "trek" at least in the packaged sense.

As for meeting people, this is the Tourist Mecca area of CM, tons of Restaurants, bars, cafes etc full of travelers, and I always see full trek/tour trucks full of people, a great way to make friends. Good luck!

#7 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 14:45

• andrea13

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

thankyou all for your kind messages, just thought id let you know things have definitely picked up! having a really great time, mildly lonely now and then but its all worth it! cheers x

#8 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 20:47

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

good for you andrea! way to stick with it. seomtimes when i am travelling by myself and feel like i'm missing out human contact, a nice 2-hour thai massage is just the thing. it's like assisted yoga - lots of stretching. i tend to pick the older massage ladies because they have more experience and can actually give a massage. anyway, just an idea. hope your trip keeps going well. regards.

#9 Posted: 7/8/2011 - 05:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.