Companions forum

25 year old Canadian guy in Thailand & Laos starting Oct 11th

• frasmc

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2005
    Total reviews: 3

I land in Bangkok October 11th for ten weeks in Thailand and Laos (leaving December 20th). My (very rough) plan is to head to Laos within 2 or 3 weeks of arriving, spend between 3 and 6 weeks there, and head back to Bangkok at the end of November to meet my girlfriend who is flying in to join me for a couple weeks.

I'm not sure exactly where I'll be heading in Laos or Thailand, but have a few places that I'd like to pass through at some point. My must-do list for Laos is Si Phan Don, Champasak, Tad Lo, Savannahket, Vientiane (to get a Thai tourist visa), Vang Vieng, and Luang Prabang. I'll probably go in that order before heading back to Thailand via Sainyabuli, Pak Lai, and Vientiane. In Thailand I want to spend some time in Bangkok, on the beach (possibly Bang Saphan if the weather is good when I get there), in Sanghklaburi, Sukhothai, the north (wherever I feel like at the time), and Khorat. This is my third time in Thailand, so am pretty relaxed about where I end up while I'm there. I am totally flexible as to when I go where, aside from having to be back in Bangkok by November 29th, and am sure the people I am travelling with (if any) will be the deciding factor.

About me: I'm 25, male, from British Columbia, have a B.Sc in Ecology, have travelled extensively (20 countries on 4 continents), coach volleyball, and currently work at a summer camp as the head of rock climbing. I'm a bit of an environmentalist, a total news junkie, love adventure, and have pipe dreams of being a writer. One of my goals this trip is to write a lot. I'm planning to blog and also get started on a book of some sort.

If anyone is interested in meeting up at some point, let me know. It would be great to have some company along the way.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Cheers!

-Fraser

#1 Posted: 3/10/2011 - 04:55

• Advertisement

• jgreen

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2011

Dude, you sound like a kick ass person. Too bad I won't be in Thailand/Laos until January because you're into the exact same things as me. Let me know the address of your blog and I'll check it out.

#2 Posted: 3/10/2011 - 07:08

• p1nkaholic

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010

Hey Fraser,

I land on bangkok on Oct 11 as well! Oh and I'm from Canada too =) I'm planning to go north to Chiang Mai first then to Laos. I have a month to play with and really no detailed plans. I've never been to Thailand before so it'd be awesome to meet someone who knows the area. You mentioned you coach rock climbing? Any plans of heading to Railay beach at all to climb? Anyway shoot me up a message ^-^

#3 Posted: 8/10/2011 - 06:00

• annifrid23

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2011

Hey Fraser and p1nkaholic,

I'm actually in Thailand, Chiang Mai to be precise, and I am heading over tomorrow to the Isaan area for a couple of days and then to Laos via Vientiane. I have been looking for people to climb with. I found that Laos actually has a bit of climbing. Check out this site
    http://www.greendiscoverylaos.com/climbing/vv.html It shows the courses this group offers but it also has the guide books to the crags as well. It also seems like the tour group will offer rides to private climbers.

Anywho, I'll be in Laos later in the week and will probably spend time in Vang Vieng or Luang Prabang depending on the climbing situation. I will also head back to Thailand to Railay in early December for some climbing. If you guys are interested, let me know!

Cheers,
    Anni

#4 Posted: 15/10/2011 - 23:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Canadian TC's in Thailand, Laos & Cambodia? ... By altmtl on 10 Oct 2011 2 1760 10 Oct 2011
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia 3 Months - Starting October 10 ... By chatz on 29 Aug 2009 15 5040 21 Jun 2010
A starting point: thailand, cambodia,laos, veitnam and indo in 6 months!?! ... By tammivalentine on 31 May 2009 6 3506 2 Jun 2009
solo 23/M planning on thailand, laos, vietnam, cambodia and maybe malaysia starting 29Dec. ... By robbell on 16 Dec 2011 8 2002 16 Jan 2012
Travelling south thailand, laos, cambodia from Feb2011 starting Bangkok, looking for people to join ... By rachael27 on 2 Nov 2010 24 3759 23 Apr 2011