Companions forum

Thailand 2012/6 month stay

• charlirabe

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi all, my name is Charli. Im a hairdresser by trade but currently working in a Customer Service centre. I am planning on travelling to Thailand in August 2012 & hoping to venture around for atleast 6 months. I have a Thai/Australian background & have been over to S.E.A for holidays with family & friends before but this trip, i will be going at it alone & for a longer period of time.'

Any answers to the following queries will be greatly appreciated as i wish to get all the past experiences & advice i can get while im still residing in Sydney.

QUESTIONS:
    * With my Thai background & family in asia, am i meant to get a visa? If so, what am i applying for?
    * What kind of budget am i looking at for the entire 6 months? Keeping in mind i want to be able to survive though not necessarily in luxury.
    * Is there anybody else travelling on their own during the time i will be there (August- February), as i certain parts of the country i wouldnt mind meeting up with companions?
    * Also out of curiousity & possibility, what are the chances of getting work over there & what will pay be like. Obviously not a fruitful as Australia.

Any answers will be GREATLY appreciated!

#1 Posted: 11/11/2011 - 02:45

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi Charly,

I don't have much time at the moment but here goes:

1. If you are a Thai citizen then you don't need a visa. I assume you're an Australian citizen in which case you need a visa if intending to stay for more than 30 days. Tourist visas are for 60 days with an option to extend for an extra 30 days. There may be a 6 month tourist visa but I've no experience with that. Check the Thai consulate's website in Australia - it will explain everything and you can get your visa there before you leave (in person or by mail). If flying in to the country you get a free 30 day non visa stay, if coming in by land it's 15 days free. You can always leave Thailand after 2 or 3 months and get another visa somewhere like Vientiane or Penang, and then go right back into Thailand.

2. Depends on your preferences for accommodation, transport, food etc. You can survive on A$20-$30/day if you're really on the budget side. I consider myself backpacker to midrange and I spend an average of about A$40/day including transport costs (a few flights, trains, buses, taxis, motorbike rental, etc.). I also don't drink so that saves me some cash. You can also stretch your money out over a longer period by doing things like volunteering or staying in monasteries for 10 days here or a week there, if you're interested in those sorts of things. Also this depends a lot on how often you're travelling from place to place. If you stay in a cheaper place for longer than obviously your money will last longer.

3. I live in Thailand and expect to be here next year - feel free to send me a message, I'm always happy to hang with fellow travellers :) (I'm 31, male, American, not sure exactly where I'll be living then).

4. It's definitely possible to teach English here if you're a native speaker. Pay generally runs between 25,000 and 60,000/month for full-time work, depending on your credentials, or 300 - 600 baht/hour for part time. Check out www.ajarn.com. If you have a four year college degree that's a big help, but not totally necessary. I don't know what else you personally have experience with but some people also find work writing, working in resorts, restaurants, etc. If you're fluent in Thai and English then you'll be very desirable for all kinds of jobs.

Hope that helps,
    DL

#2 Posted: 11/11/2011 - 21:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand August 2012 6 month stay ... By charlirabe on 11 Nov 2011 3 1632 16 Nov 2011
one month stay in thailand, where? ... By txolo on 12 Jun 2008 17 3921 11 May 2010
3 Month Stay in Thailand based in one city ... By GarnetandGold on 9 Jan 2013 1 1369 10 Jan 2013