Companions forum

First timer advise, Volunteer/Work

• liltraveler

Click here to learn more about liltraveler
    Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011
    Location United States

This is my first Time visiting Asia. I don't know a word of any of the many languages and feel a bit ignorant, although I have been doing significant amounts of research.
    I am a young female traveling alone, and I want to go with a little more purpose than just a vacation experience. I would like to see some of the tourist destinations but also visit the more rural areas. I am not necessarily looking for a travel partner but simply for some basic suggestions from those with some experience.

My current itinerary is Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia but this is flexible. I have accommodations and volunteer work set up for a few months in Cambodia, but I would like to get to know some of the local communities in other areas as well. I honestly don't even know where to start as far as destinations or organizations looking for assistance. I don't want to take the whole western imperialism approach of helping the less fortunate as I am from the US, but I have various skills to offer those looking for assistance, more as an educational experience for myself and way to better understand South East Asia.

If anyone is involved with or knows of organizations working with children, hunger, poverty, community agriculture, or even places that simply cannot be missed along the way or great tips please let me know. Thanks!!!

#1 Posted: 14/11/2011 - 14:54

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Free volunteer work in Cambodia ... By Phoenix66 on 15 May 2011 29 26647 1 Jul 2014
Free Volunteer Work in Thailand ... By dragonfruit on 2 Jun 2010 0 4498 2 Jun 2010
English teacher wants (free) volunteer work ... By mari111 on 21 Mar 2013 4 4012 6 Nov 2014