Photo: There is nothing wrong with imaginary friends.

Companions forum

First timer advise, Volunteer/Work

Posted by liltraveler on 14/11/2011 at 14:54

This is my first Time visiting Asia. I don't know a word of any of the many languages and feel a bit ignorant, although I have been doing significant amounts of research.
I am a young female traveling alone, and I want to go with a little more purpose than just a vacation experience. I would like to see some of the tourist destinations but also visit the more rural areas. I am not necessarily looking for a travel partner but simply for some basic suggestions from those with some experience.

My current itinerary is Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia but this is flexible. I have accommodations and volunteer work set up for a few months in Cambodia, but I would like to get to know some of the local communities in other areas as well. I honestly don't even know where to start as far as destinations or organizations looking for assistance. I don't want to take the whole western imperialism approach of helping the less fortunate as I am from the US, but I have various skills to offer those looking for assistance, more as an educational experience for myself and way to better understand South East Asia.

If anyone is involved with or knows of organizations working with children, hunger, poverty, community agriculture, or even places that simply cannot be missed along the way or great tips please let me know. Thanks!!!

#1 liltraveler has been a member since 14/11/2011. Location: United States. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.