Companions forum

28/F going to Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand - Mar 23 to April 13, 2012

• valerinaaa

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2011

Hello!

As the title says I'm a 28 year old female travelling solo to Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand between March 23 - April 13, 2012. I'm from Toronto, Canada and of a Chinese background (born in Canada) but have relatives in Vietnam whom I may be staying with while there.

I plan on staying in Ho Chi Minh City from March 23-29, Siem Reap from March 30-April 1, and all over Thailand from April 2-April 13. These days aren't set in stone as I'm only in the beginning stages of planning.

I would like to meet up with other fellow young travellers while in Asia. I'll be planning to go sightseeing, shopping, dining, and enjoying the nightlife. I'll be staying in decent hostels and hotels but still budget minded.

#1 Posted: 29/12/2011 - 01:41

• Advertisement

• khmerog

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011
    Location Canada

Are your dates official? I was planning on going to Siem Riep on March 12/13 for 3-4 days. PM me or reply back. I am also in Canada but born in Cambodia.

#2 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 11:08

• valerinaaa

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2011

oh for sure I won't be there at that time, I'll be still in Canada [img]smileys/frown.gif[/img]:(

#3 Posted: 5/1/2012 - 19:03

• goodi666

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2012

hi

I am a 32 yr old female who is thinking of travelling to KL, Langkawi, Cambodia and Vietnam but only want to do a few days in each place. But haven't set in stone the order i am travelling. The reason for this is that i like to stay in nice hotels or shall i say clean hotels and just won't be able to afford more than a couple of nights in each place, but if i can join up with someone would be good. I enjoy exploring the day time life aswell as the nightlife, also enjoy dining and shopping. Start trip round the 22/23rd Mar until Apr get in touch.

#4 Posted: 8/1/2012 - 14:23

• valerinaaa

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2011

Hey godi666,

I have no idea how to private message on this site so I'll reply on here. I think it's awesome that you'll be travelling the same time as I will and we have the same interest! Is KL, Kuala Lampur? Because I may be going there also now but only for a couple of days and I'm not sure when. Please private message me if you know how so we can chat more if you're still interested in meeting up :)

#5 Posted: 13/1/2012 - 12:34

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

hiya valerinaa, nice to see a fellow torontian on here...

i'm always excited to see others going for there 1st back pack trip to SE asia.. it is your 1st right?

being that, well last year was my 1st time solo back packing south east asia for about 3 months, was a great experience over-all, and will go back to finish where i left off and more to follow.. i traveled through thailand, malaysia, singapore,laos and cambodia... Vietnam, phillippines, were also on my list as well, but didn't have enough time to do so, always next time right!!

it's too bad you didn't have more time on your hands, know it's gonna be tough to try and cram as much as you can in the time that you have.. are you planning to fly from each country to country?

also if you don't happen to be able to meet people from this site on your travels, don't let it bring you down... originally when i was going to south east asia, i had plans to meet up with a few people from here, but things just didn't work out with our time-lines... but either way, i do suggust where-ever you stay, try to stay in dorm rooms, best way to meet people when your alone...and it's very easy at that too...

another thing, have you heard of "couch surfing", if not, check out www.couchsurfing.org, i found out about it when i was back packing, never had a chance to try it out, but have heard great things from it... it's a great social network for travellers... and every few weeks there are meet'n'greets here in toronto, i actually went to my 1st one on thrusday night at the "maddy house"... pretty sure you've probably been too "the madison house" as well...

if you like, shoot me back a message, i do have my private message thingy on so....

l8r

#6 Posted: 13/1/2012 - 23:42

• goodi666

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2012

Hi Velarinaaa

Here's my email, as im not sure why it won't let me private message you:

latino666@yahoo.co.uk thanks

#7 Posted: 14/1/2012 - 10:47

• valerinaaa

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2011

Hey Ryder,

I have to reply back on here cause I don't know how to use the PM thing and it's unforunate cause I wrote you a long message but it logged me out and the message didn't send so here I go again :(
    I think that's awesome that you took a solo trip and saw so much! Did you find yourself scared or worried about being pickpocketed or unsafe at all?
    You're right, I think I'm packing in too many destinations for my trip but I just changed my flight so I have an extra 2 more days for this trip so I'll have 24 days in Asia. I was thinking of bussing from country to country cause if I fly I have to take the detour to Kuala Lampur so it'll be cheaper than flying directly to Siem Reap from Ho Chi Minh City. What do you think?
    And yea I was thinking of staying in hostel like accomodations but in a private room and bathroom but somewhere where they have a common area to talk to others. I'm really worried about being alone for the whole time, I don't want to go crazy with no one to talk to haha.

You know I tried using couchsurfing but had difficulty finding someone to put me up when I went to St. Thomas (USVI) and funny thing is, when I went to the island (stayed at a hotel) the guy that ignored my messages on couchsurfing after he agreed to put us up, saw me there and tried talking to me mentioning it was him on couchsurfing haha. And I tried airbnb.com for NYC but no luck on there too. Hey, let me know when you go out for another meet n greet, I wanted to do it all last year but was too chicken to do it alone :P

#8 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 18:17

• valerinaaa

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2011

goodi,
    I'm going to email you when I get home, I'm at work right now and no access to email [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#9 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 18:19

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

hey valerinaaa,

yeah i had that happen to me on here as well, wrote a long detailed message, and somehow it didn't go through, go back and everything was gone, i was quite up-set, but oh well... that was then...

anyways... yeah after my trip and looking back (it was like i never left home though...lol...) but i did and done so many things with the time i spent there... every-where i went i took pictures like crazy... have just under 9000 thousand pictures including some videos as well, but there were some times i didn't have my camera with me, but i wish i did... my camera and memory cards were everything to me, i would literally fight till the end for them, if i did lose them, you would know how 1 would feel...

but being that, i felt absolutely safe and had no issues what-so-ever with being robbed at all... mind you, you gotta be "street smart", and as i tell people who are concerned about being robbed and such in asia or where-ever..... it doesn't matter where you go or live, sad to say, sh*t happens all the time, with you and i being from Toronto, we watch the news everyday, there's always murders and shootings and robberies all the time... but like i mention just don't make youself stand out and be an easy target..... **be street-smart**... and i know, it's also a big difference with you being a gal, and me being a guy.... so... just be cautious of your surrondings at all times....

but on the funny side, i did get attacked by a lady-boy in siem reap cambodia, this was late at night, i was minding my own business walking home, the guy or gal or whatever it was, kept following me and wouldn't leave me alone, so finally i told it off, and it gave me a slap on my back, so i turned around, gave it a mean dirty look, like i was about to UFC it's ass and off it went......lol

most of my transportation to every country was mostly by buses, but since you are somewhat restricted with 24 days, you can find cheap flights, like airasia.com, but it'll still somewhat put a damper in your pokcet, but you gotta do what you gotta do.... when i was going from laos into cambodia, i spent over 24 hours on the buses, i don't know how i lasted, but just find yourself a way to pass the time, make sure you bring like a i-pod with you.... and also ear-plugs... just in case some buses will play certain music you may not what to listen too...lol...

and if you can, do try and stay in dorms, you will instantly build that connection between the people your with in your dorm the moment you step in there, and since your now bed-room buddies now... oh also, regarding that, there are dorms with females only so... you'll have that option as well.... when-ever i was moving abroad, i would use hostels.com and read the reviews on each one and pick one which ever floats my boat.... there are other sites as well...

at times it is nice to have your own room, which i did as well, since some of the places i went too, had no dorms... so no big deal there... get the best of both worlds.... and don't be shy, start talking to any foreigners you see if you have any questions and concerns... it really is easy to talk to random people when your travelling out there..... un-like here in toronto, it's a bit on the opposite as you know... when i'm at the bus stations i would talk to any person that be carrying a back pack... and see where there from and off too...

yeah it is a bit nerve racking at 1st when going to these meet'n'greets, but it's always at a social environment so... but funny thing is... when i went to the one last thrusday, saw a friend i had met from beach volley-ball about 2 years ago, and he was there for the same event... small world... and will keep any eye for the next CS event... i'm on there everyday checkin-in....

but any ways... if you like... i have a bunch of picture albums from my trip on facebook, 8 of them to be exact, only the decent good pictures are posted up though, and every picture tells a story... so you can see where've i've been and what i did.... and if you have any questions... be more than happy to help out....

it's ipsofactoo@hotmail.com

edwin.

#10 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 19:09

• Advertisement

• coconut_boi

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2012
    Location Canada

Hey Valerinaaa, I would definitely love to try to meet up along the way email me at jordi_boi_@hotmail.com :)

#11 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 22:31

• kirbyong

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2012

Hello Valerinaaa! Do contact me too! :) i bought a flight to hat yai ( south thailand ) on april first and flight back to Singapore from Hanoi on april twenty-fourth! Maybe we could meet somewhere in Thailand? Traveling solo too and looking forward to it! :D

email:kirbyong@live.se

#12 Posted: 28/1/2012 - 12:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
23/F travelling Thailand/Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam Jan-April 2012 ... By melaniedelia on 3 Aug 2011 23 5722 13 Dec 2011
Thailand April 2012 ... By ShellyC on 17 Oct 2011 6 1630 26 Mar 2012
Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam - June/July 2012 ... By monisriz on 7 Apr 2012 5 2117 30 May 2012
April/May Travel buddy Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand ... By asho82 on 1 Apr 2011 16 3267 27 Apr 2011
Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos 27th April - end of May. ... By numan99 on 6 Apr 2009 13 4917 20 Nov 2011
26/Male/Canada/Nov 1st 2012 Thailand-Vietnam-Cambodia-Laos ... By christophr on 28 Oct 2012 1 1068 30 Oct 2012
Thailand/Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam October 2012 forward... ... By HollyOdaravla on 5 Aug 2012 5 1611 29 Aug 2012
Video: HongKong-Philippines-Vietnam-Cambodia-Laos-Thailand 2012 ... By maximaximaxim on 5 Apr 2012 1 3108 9 May 2012
26 Female - Nov 2012 - March 2013 Thailand, Laos,Cambodia,Vietnam, ... By LondonHoney8286 on 14 Feb 2012 25 5835 1 Nov 2012
38/F - travelling to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos (and possibly Indonesia) from Jan 2012 ... By michele1273 on 2 Nov 2011 9 2983 14 Jan 2012