Companions forum

24/m Travelling Vietnam->Cambodia->Laos->Thailand for two months from March 15th (by motorbike?!)

• Criggy

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2012

Hi!

I'm a 24 y.o. male, just graduated from Uni in the UK, taking a year out to work/travel before starting a permanent job in September.

I'm planning on travelling around SE Asia for two months from March 15th. I fly to Hong Kong on the 11th, plan to spend a few days there before flying on to Hanoi. I'll travel around the North of Vietnam a little (Sapa, Ha Long Bay) then travel South through Vietnam. I want to try and do this by Motorbike... I hear you can buy one for a few hundred dollars, then sell it on at the end of your trip (sounds simple right? Ha, we'll see!)

There are a couple of reasons I want to go by motorbike- Firstly, i'm 6ft7 and the thought of spending long periods of time on a public bus is making me uncomfortable already! However, the main reason is I want to try and get off the beaten track a little... Be independent, make my own way through the country, in my own time. Take the side road into small towns/villages, homestays maybe? I'm not an experienced motorbike rider, i've only ridden a few automatic mopeds but I hear this is literally the best way to see the country and i'm excited about making it happen.

After travelling through Vietnam, i'll move into Cambodia, travel North into Laos, then cross into Northern Thailand (Chiang Mai etc). My flight leaves from Singapore on the 20th of May, but i'll probably look to end my trip a couple of days before that date in Bangkok then fly from BKK to catch my homeward flight.

A little about myself... I studied Chemistry in the UK, i've lived for a year in the USA (where my family currently lives) and a year in Australia (International Study Year). I've travelled around Australia and NZ, parts of Europe, parts of the USA, i've hitch-hiked (for charity!) from England to Morocco and travelled a little in Morocco, i've also been to South Africa and Swaziland. I've never been to the countries i'm visiting on this trip, but on the way home from Australia I spent 2 weeks in Malaysia and a night in Singapore. As far as a travel companion, i'm adventurous, i'm pretty flexible, relaxed but anxious to make the most of any opportunity... My budget will be pretty small, so I won't be looking to stay in expensive hotels or do many organised tours that cost hundreds of dollars... However, I do have a decent job lined up so I don't mind working myself into a bit of debt for a good trip!

I'm currently looking to do this on my own, but i'm a little anxious about the motorbiking part... I'd feel uneasy riding around Vietnam on my own... A travel companion would be great (just in case something goes wrong on the roads!)

I'm thinking of roughly following an itinerary like this one (in reverse)
    http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-indochina-tour1

And here are a couple of articles about motorbiking that got me excited for it!
    http://www.travelfish.org/feature/94
    http://www.travelfish.org/feature/192

Feel free to comment here, or write me a personal message with any questions/comments etc...

-Chris

#1 Posted: 22/2/2012 - 09:09

• Advertisement

• octopus29

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Chris,

Yeah it is true that you can spend like $300 for a Honda in Saigon (around $400 in Hanoi). And it depends on your luck if you want to sell it on the other end after you had finished your trip. You can sell it to the dealer for half price. If you do need a travel companion, its maybe a little bit easier to start from Saigon 'cos there are more travelers start their trip from Saigon to Hanoi.

You can take a semi-automatic or a fully automatic bike if you don't have much experience riding bikes. I have done lots of motorbike trips and they are all unforgettable.

Do ride smart and be careful though.

#2 Posted: 29/2/2012 - 01:26

• gobluegirl

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2012

Hi!
    I think I accidentally reported your post when I was trying to reply to it!
    I'm a 25 year old female who has a pretty similar travel itinerary in mind, just a bit longer time in Asia. I'll be landing in Hong Kong on the 15th and heading to Hanoi on the 20th. I would definitely be up for meeting up. You can private message me or reply to this if you'd be interested in meeting up over there

#3 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 00:11

• Criggy

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2012

Hey,
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not quite so grateful for being reported though! It's ok, the first time I wrote that post I clicked the preview your post then left the page before I actually posted it and had to write it all out again!
    I'd definitely be up for meeting up. I can let you know my Vietnamese phone number when I get one. How long will you be in Asia for? Are you thinking of doing both Halong and Sapa? Maybe I'd do one in the 5days before you arrive? Do you use Facebook? If so you can find me using my email (Chris.reynolds1987@googlemail.com).

#4 Posted: 8/3/2012 - 09:34

• travelling_-
    jim

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2011

Hi Chris,

I'm looking into doing a very similar trip by bike around Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos.
    I'm 29, from Ireland, and I'm currently in India travelling. Been here 5 weeks or so, and looking at heading to Hanoi around end March to start the bike trip.

I'll try find you on facebook, and sure we can talk.

#5 Posted: 9/3/2012 - 11:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 months in Thai, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam March 2009 ... By adamdriver on 29 Sep 2008 2 3147 28 Nov 2008
Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam, End of March and on wards ... By neilmatt83 on 17 Feb 2011 16 3037 5 Mar 2011
Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam, End of March and on wards ... By neilmatt83 on 17 Feb 2011 7 2121 17 Feb 2011
5 months Thailand Laos Cambodia Vietnam and.... ... By DicoR on 28 Aug 2014 1 443 29 Aug 2014
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia - 3 months ... By rossco on 25 Jul 2011 0 2959 25 Jul 2011
2 months in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam AND Indonesia ... By mar571 on 9 Nov 2010 15 9713 25 Nov 2010
March-May or June-Aug in Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Bali, Malaysia? ... By Triple007 on 29 Apr 2011 1 3707 3 May 2011
26 Female - Nov 2012 - March 2013 Thailand, Laos,Cambodia,Vietnam, ... By LondonHoney8286 on 14 Feb 2012 25 5882 1 Nov 2012
2 months in Cambodia and Thailand starting March ... By Dafinder on 16 Oct 2013 2 524 19 Oct 2013
Northern Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam/Indonesia March-June 2014 ... By louiisamarie on 3 Feb 2014 3 1262 24 Mar 2014