Companions forum

Sulawesi and Maluku Islands June/July

• alexalex_23

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2012

Hey!

I am a 20 year old solo female adventurer. I am flying into Denpasar on June 15. I am looking to pass through Bali and catch a Pelni ship to Makassar in South Sulawesi then travel North. If I have time I will visit the Maluku Islands on the way back. I am keen to see the Tana Toraja, the Togean Islands and do some diving. If anyone has a similar itinerary or wants to come along between June 15 and July 9 just let me know.

Cheers!

Alex :)

#1 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 02:26

• Advertisement

• irma1786

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

oww...i wish i could join u. unfortunately our schedule is different. i would be in sulawesi on aug after muslim celebration (idul fitri). i am planning to visit togean and toraja too.

let me know if somehow u are in the same road with me

btw, if u like diving and u want to go a litle bit far, u could go to wakatobi. u can find information about that place here :
    http://www.divetrip.com/wakatobi/wakaphot.htm
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/wakatobi

cheers
    irma

#2 Posted: 17/4/2012 - 13:56

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Just a heads up.

When people say Wakatobi they usually mean Hoga. Hoga is full of wealthy marine biology students doing the Operation Wallacea thing in summer (during summer university break) Accommodation prices will be sky high when the rich students are about and you're not even sure of getting a bed.

#3 Posted: 17/4/2012 - 15:10

• irma1786

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

actually, in the link that i gave b4 its already mention that wakatabi contains islands. i think 4 island if i am not mistaken. wakatobis is the abrev for those islands. only one island that pretty much a resort. very expensive resort. but the rest are not. even its quite empty islands from what i heard

another tips, u could go to bira beach and takabonerate too. bira for snorkling and takabonerate for diving

cheers
    irma

#4 Posted: 18/4/2012 - 06:19

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yeah I know, I've been there twice. [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

WaKaToBi = Wangiwangi (AKA as Wanci, which is where the expensive hotel is), Kaledupa (where you have to get a motorized canoe from to get to Hoga because there are no public ferries) , Tomea and Binongko.

Hoga is a small island where most tourists stay. The first time I went we had the whole island to ourselves for two weeks because it used to be a royal pain to get to. Couple of years back Lion Air started flying to BauBau and Express Air started doing flights all the way to Wanci. Don't know what their current flight schedule is but in 2010 the plane arrived too late to get the ferry public ferry to Kaledupa. You either had to spend a night in the expensive resort on Wanci or charter a boat to get to Hoga.

Have you been to Takabonerate? I heard the reefs there had been severely damaged by dynamite fishing?

#5 Posted: 18/4/2012 - 06:57

• irma1786

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

deffinetely my next destination. in aug me and my friend will explore sulawesi coz too many places that we plan (me and my friends) to visit and with strict schedule probably for this trip we will go to some places near makassar, we will fly from jakarta to makassar. spent a day in makassar then go to bira, takabonerate, then turn around to toraja, and probably togian if we have time.

a litle bit chaos with ittinarary [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

cheers,
    irma

#6 Posted: 18/4/2012 - 07:32

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the diving in Takabonerate.

I've been to the Togeans loads of times but never in peak season. The last time I was on Bolliangga (which is a bit more difficult to get to than Kadidiri so it gets fewer tourists) the manager said that the previous August he'd had 50 tourists a day showing up looking for accommodation. They had to sleep them 5 to a bungalow (just one double bed in each bungalow) and the others were sleeping on the beach, on the floor of the restaurant and in staff quarters. There are 5 fairly recent bungalows there and he was replacing his 2 older double bungalows at the time but there simply isn't enough space on the beach to add any more.

If you go out of main season there's generally no problem finding somewhere to stay but in July/August the Togeans are mobbed.

Providing water for mandis (bathrooms) must be a really major headache during August because nearly all the Togean islands catering for tourists have no water supply of their own. It has to be brought by boat from villages on inhabited islands and even in low season water is in short supply. (There are notices saying washing clothes is forbidden in some resorts)

Anyway, up to you, just saying August is the worst month to go there in case you didn't already know.

#7 Posted: 18/4/2012 - 08:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
5 Weeks: Bali, Sulawesi and Maluku Islands ... By eik362 on 10 Apr 2012 16 6776 27 May 2012
Which islands get least rain June-July? ... By steebee on 26 May 2006 2 4941 11 Jul 2006
4000 islands june/july/august ... By mmmmbeerlao on 16 Oct 2009 1 3226 16 Oct 2009
Thailand, islands, and Cambodia June/July 09 ... By jazzabelle on 31 Mar 2009 6 4583 14 May 2009