Companions forum

24/M/ UK Travelling solo mid july --> thailand, laos, cambodia

• Jduncan123

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

Hey

Im Joal, 24, easy going guy from near newcastle. Just booked my flights out to BKK 14th July...solo travelling for the first time!

Im looking to travel thai, laos, cambodia for a good few months with no real set plans! trekking, sight seeing, chilling on the beaches, cooking courses, and not forgetting partying will be on my agenda. Would be cool to meet some similar minded travellers who are up for a laugh and looking for a laid back adventure (or an organised one to keep me right haha!)

Get in touch if you have similar plans would be good to chat :D

#1 Posted: 7/5/2012 - 09:27

• Advertisement

• Kabana111

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Heya,
    I'll be in Cambodia all July and August, might do a tad of travelling depending on my money situation! But aye, if you're in Cambodia then would be good to meet for a drink! (20/F/UK)

#2 Posted: 11/5/2012 - 10:54

• Jduncan123

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

Hey

Where abouts in the UK you from?

I'll prob be in Cambodia early to mid August i would of thought. How come your going to be there if its not travel related? sorry, im pretty nosey! haha!

You been to SEA before ?.... all new to me so trying to put a rough plan together! Any tips/ suggestions on where to visit would be cool! Yeh would be good to meet up for drink!

Speak soon

#3 Posted: 11/5/2012 - 12:53

• Kabana111

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

I'm from Northern Ireland, currently living in Scotland.
    I lived in Cambodia for a year before so mostly I'm going to visit friends etc.! Was volunteering in a village mostly and travelling around the country a bit.
    Went to Malaysia, Vietnam and Hong Kong in the same trip, didn't get around to Thailand - Cambodia declared war on Thailand while I was there and nobody knew if the fighting would get bad! But ended up just a few soldiers were shot and nothing much exciting happened :)

Whereabouts would you be going? All over or sticking to one place? I met a lot of people just visiting Siem Reap but then they missed out Phnom Penh , Sihanoukville and the minority areas. Sihanoukville is alright, the beaches and diving and islands are good, the town is mostly full of drunken Australians, Americans and Brits. Phnom Penh is really busy and not so relaxing but its got some good bars and I'd definitely recommend the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum and Choeung Ek killing fields, depressing as they may be! The minority areas are a lot harder to get to, but are worth the extra travelling. Siem Reap is my favourite place. It's a good balance of touristy places and local places, and obviously has the Angkor temples. And cheap alcohol :D
    Thinking of going to BKK in late July for my visa run, but might just have to renew it if I'm running out of funds.

That was a bit of a rant but anyways haha.

#4 Posted: 11/5/2012 - 13:44

• Jduncan123

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

Yeh I would be looking to move around most likely... siem reap, phnom penh and sihanoukville the obvious options but as i say i dont have any set plans really! If i like somewhere id quite happilly stay for a while. Was thinking of maybe working whilst out there...is this a realistic option? How did you get by the year you lived there, guess you must of worked? (unless your minted haha)

Where abouts will you be in cambodia this time then? I will be arriving in BKK in late July - getting excited talking about it! You on facebook - can chat on there ??

Speak soon :)

#5 Posted: 12/5/2012 - 05:35

• Kabana111

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Aye that sounds good :) I was volunteering, I'd spent a year working two jobs to save up to go! But I'm definitely not minted :P Depending on how long you'll be in each place, you could make a bit of money teaching conversational English? Don't know if that's your thing though! In Siem Reap there are a few bars that hire backpackers for a while but I'm not 100% sure on how to get in touch or anything, one is the Angkor What? bar. There was a guy from England working in there while I was there for a while, and then a woman (Australian I think...) was there when he left! Think that would also depend on how long you'll be there! It might be a case of asking around when you get there.
    I think I'll be mostly in Siem Reap, but I'll be in Phnom Penh a couple of times - I have a local friend at the university there. Might travel a bit if I have the money! I'd love to go back to Ratanakiri but it can be difficult without an organised tour group...
    I don't have fb sorry! I'm one of those uncool people sticking to skype and the wonderful ole msn if those are any help haha. I'm already addicted to the internet enough :D

#6 Posted: 12/5/2012 - 13:40

• Jduncan123

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

ok thanks for the info !!

I dont have msn / skype unfortunately talking on here is fine! I willl be getting a skype account set up though soon as im guessing this is the cheapest way to contact home while your travelling.

You going to be staying with friends when your in cambodia then or will you be staying in guesthouses? also, whats this ratankiri..? im intrigued!

#7 Posted: 13/5/2012 - 10:05

• Kabana111

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Aye skype is good, calling from SE Asia can be far too expensive for my liking :P and it costs people in the UK to answer your calls too. I managed to rack up a bill of around £300 in a month without realising, thankfully the parents paid half for me... Then I got a local sim card, was pretty useful! The tourist ones last for 2 weeks I think, if that'd help you.
    I'll be staying in a guesthouse I know well in Siem Reap , stayed there for almost 4 months before and it was great. In Phnom Penh and wherever else I go I'll be picking the dirt cheap ones! One of the best places I stayed was $1-a-night-per-person guesthouse, with 3 of us sharing a room. What're your accommodation preferences?

Ratanakiri is in the northeast of Cambodia, the majority of people up that way belong to minority tribes with different languages and traditions. Most don't speak Khmer like the rest of Cambodia. Most people stay in the town and travel out to the villages but in some places you can sleep in hammocks in villages. I did that in one village but can't remember the name of it... I went to a waterfall there before, and rode on an elephant etc. And there's a crater lake which is a good laugh. From what I remember travelled two half days from Siem Reap to get there, went down to Kratie and stayed the night, up to Stung Treng and across to Ban Lung. Think it was maybe 10 hours drive total? Spent the whole journey watching Pirates of the Caribbean on repeat. But it's worth it!

#8 Posted: 13/5/2012 - 12:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
25 year old girl, travelling Laos, Thailand and Cambodia from May-July ... By danilou on 17 Feb 2011 6 3010 26 Mar 2011
33 y/o female travelling to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia May-July ... By Masser on 9 May 2011 3 3378 8 May 2012
26/m/irish solo travelling to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Singapore ... By GavinIrish1 on 12 Mar 2012 7 2252 1 Apr 2012
24/F Travelling solo to Thailand 27 July-17 Aug! ... By sarahdawn167 on 25 Jul 2012 5 835 26 Jul 2012
Thailand to Laos (hopefully!) july 12-15th set off solo F/UK/25 yo ... By Smackenzie on 2 Jul 2013 1 441 3 Jul 2013
19th July start: Travelling Cambodia, Vietnam and Maybe Laos ... By tknz on 12 Jul 2011 0 1430 12 Jul 2011
18 m travelling Thailand and Laos, mid july - mid august ... By Dadi on 9 Jun 2011 12 2593 9 Jul 2012
Travelling Northern Thailand and Laos in June/July ... By mrnice88 on 21 Apr 2010 4 2795 19 May 2012
27/F/NYC seeking travel buddies on solo trip to Thailand (+Vietnam/Cambodia/Lao?) July 31-Sept 12 ... By passthatversace on 30 Jun 2012 14 3054 21 Aug 2012
Travelling solo from the 30 of july to the 28 of august ... By medinet on 24 Jul 2010 3 2271 24 Jul 2012