Companions forum

Anyone travelling in SE Asia from end of July-Oct?- Solo traveller (23,F,UK)

• emmalbateman

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2012

Hi,

I'm Emma, 23 years old and from Wales. I'm currently living in Australia, I have been here for the last year but unfortunately my visa is running out and so have decided to go travelling to Asia. Have only done the Thailand islands before and so i'm a little intimidated about what do and where to go. I don't have any plans although I know that I definitely want to go to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. Hopefully will have enough money to go to Bali aswell : ) I plan to go to New Zealand in Oct/Nov so i've got a few months to see as much as I can. I'm not sure what country to start in & what general direction to go so if anyone has any advice for me it would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone has got plans to be in SE Asia around this time & wants to meet up then that would be great. Just get in touch if you want to chat : )

#1 Posted: 14/5/2012 - 04:37

• Advertisement

• Kabana111

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Heya, I'll be in Cambodia all July and August if you're there then!
    Let me know :)
    (20/f/uk)

#2 Posted: 14/5/2012 - 07:05

• Sima87

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

Hi Emma,

I'm going to be in SE Asia at that time too - I'm also travelling by myself - I've drafted a route (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, Vientiane then Vietnam and Cambodia) although I'm quite flexible & will just go with the flow once I get there!

I've never beento SE Asia before so really looking forward to it - Would be fab to meet up there!

Sima (24-F-Leicester,UK)

#3 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 16:46

• thesweetsky

Joined Travelfish
    17th May, 2012

Hi, currently living in Malaysia, will hopefully be setting off to backpack all those sae areas around the same time! Thinking of starting in bangkok....then going anti-clockwise to cambodia, vietnam, laos etc from there... :) (f-24-aus)

#4 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 23:54

• ashley23

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2012

Hi, currently living in australia.. looking to go to SE asia sept 3. Will be comming from Canada. Never been before and wil be commign solo. Would be so nice to have someone to meet up with to get some grounding where to stay ad start plannign the adventures:) not sure on any routs yet; which i need to somewhat sort out as ill be booking my flight into wither bankok or phuket in the next 2 days. Have up to 3 months not booking a return flight as of yet.. would love to do cambodia laos all the culture things aswell as the partying. 23/f/ canada

#5 Posted: 24/5/2012 - 01:19

• lee_vk

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2012

Hey Emma,

I was travelling SEA for a year and a half just recently, and I will be heading back out there in two weeks time. Although I can't offer to be your travel buddy, I can offer you some tips :D

If you've never been to SEA before, then you're best off heading straight to Bangkok and booking a hotel in Koh San Road. Although a lot of people dismiss the area for being too touristic, it's undeniable a great place to meet new people and make some travel buddies. From here, the SEA is your oyster. You could check out the islands to the South, lay on the beach and relax, or head up North and do some trekking/rafting/climbing.

Your next choice is whether to check out Laos, or Cambodia first. My advice - wait and figure it out when you get there. You're bound to meet so many people after spending a couple of weeks in Thailand, so just go with the flow! Either way, most people tend to go Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos or Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia - creating a nice, simple circle, with some straight forwards border crossings!

Don't miss - In Vietnam, Halong Bay (with Hanoi Backpackers - if you're looking for a fun time), Hoi An, Cu Chi Tunnels. Cambodia, Angkor Wat, The Killing Fields (Phnom Penh), Sihanoukville, The Killing Caves (Battambang). Laos, Vang Vieng, Lunag Prabang, Don Det, The Gibbon Experience.

That's all I've got to say about that! feel free to contact me for anymore info or if you want a contact out in Hanoi (Where I'll be in 2 weeks time) :D

Lee

#6 Posted: 25/5/2012 - 15:31

• rhino_ceros-

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi all,
    I'm Oanh, 33, female, from Hochiminh city, Vietnam. I can take 2.5 months off from 16/Jun-end of August. My plan is taking a budget tour through some countries of SEA. I will start from Thailand 16-23/Jun/2012 with my famaily and then, continue my trip alone. Estimated destinations include Thai-Laos-(Cam)-Burma-Malay-Indo...quite flexible. I'm very happy if I/ you can join. Any suggestions/ advices are welcome for my trip.
    Thank you.

#7 Posted: 26/5/2012 - 09:00

• jasonvpan

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2012

Sup guys/gals, I'll be backpacking from beijing down vietnam through cambodia, thailand, malaysia, singapore, jakarta and australia from Mid August to November. I'll probably hit all the major sites but my time and route are flexible. If we're in the same area at the same time, would love to share some stories. let me know at jason.pan1111@yahoo.com

jason.

#8 Posted: 29/5/2012 - 20:23

• Javi3

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2012

Hi, everybody!
    I´m Javiera, 24yo. I´m living in Australia (Melbourne) until August and I want to go to SE ASIA, so I´m looking to travel to Bangkok in late August. I will be going by myself.
    I don´t have any plans yet, but I want to go to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and Bali for 2 and a half months.
    If anyone want to meet me (before or in ASIA) and travel together or something, let me know!
    (23, F, Chile)

Cheers!

#9 Posted: 3/6/2012 - 06:59

• Jafty51

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2012

Hi!

I'm going to be in Vietnam for 2 weeks at the end of July, give me a shout if you're about, could be fun to meet up!

(22/f/uk)

#10 Posted: 3/6/2012 - 15:37

• Advertisement

• emmalbateman

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2012

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your replies. I havn't been able to get on the internet for ages as I have been pretty busy which is why I havn't replied earlier, it also means that I havn't been able to plan or book anything yet so I really appreciate the helpful tips. I am now thinking that starting in Thailand is probably the best idea, after reading some of the other forums it looks like the majority of people fly into Bangkok and go from there. I will look into some ideas as to how to get around and where to go so I should have a better idea in a few weeks time of where i'm going to be & hopefully I will be able to meet up with some of you guys. I will keep you updated : )

#11 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 01:50

• jc112095

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2012

Hi guys

Im arriving in bangkok end of july and leaving early/mid september.

Would be great to meet people out there. I dont really have any travel plans, just see where I end up!

20/m/uk

#12 Posted: 15/6/2012 - 18:24

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Hey,
    im doing a massive custom RTW trip but I land in Bangkok on 1st November.

I've not booked anything for the SE asia part of my trip other than a cheap hostel for the full moon on the 28th nov, although I have a 'plan' of what I would like to do, I also want to keep it simple so i can go with the flow, as I know there will be loads of people along the way doing cool and intresting things.
    pm if you want to talk swap ideas, meet up?

Lee (M, 26,UK)

#13 Posted: 19/6/2012 - 05:45

• emmalbateman

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2012

Hey guys,

First of all I would just like to say thanks for the advice that you've given me (especially you lee_vk : )! ), it's been really helpful.

I now have a better idea as to what my travel plans are. I will be arriving in Koh Sumui around the 27th of July, I plan to spend a bit of time on a few of the islands and I also want to be on Koh Phagnan for the Full Moon Party on August 4th. If anyone is interested in going to the party then it would be great to meet up as it would be good to know that I have someone there that I atleast kind of know :) I then will be heading up through Thailand (I may have to fly to Bangkok if i'm short on time) & will be visiting the other countries that I had on my original thread- Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. In regards to these I haven't got any solid plans yet so if anyone wants to travel together then just let me know your plans and I am happy be as flexible as possible.

I hope that I can meet up with some of you guys as it would mean that I don't have to be as nervous and slightly terrified as I am now. Just give me a message or post if you wanted to make any plans or to let me know where your going to be. Will hopefully hear from you soon :)

#14 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 03:31

• elysek

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Hi all! My name is Elyse, I'm a 23yr female from Canada also travelling through this area at the same time. I arrive in Bangkok on July 30 and have a week in each Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. Would love to meet up with some other travellers. The full moon party sounds pretty tempting. I have a rough idea of where I want to go, but otherwise my schedule is pretty open. Shoot me an email, elyse_004@hotmail.com. Or send me a message on FB (Elyse Rose) :)

#15 Posted: 10/7/2012 - 01:34

• georgiaj

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

I've said this on other threads but hello :)
    I'm a 21 year old girl from the UK, travelling alone for the first time, I land in Bangkok on July 26th, heading down to Ko Phangan for the August 4th Full Moon Party and then I want to do Northern Thailand, Laos and Cambodia (potentially Bali too) before I head home on September 17th.
    If anyone would like to meet let me know :) x
    Georgia.james91@yahoo.co.uk

#16 Posted: 10/7/2012 - 06:52

• goblin6

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2012

hi All
    Im looking to head out to Cambodia (via BKK then to Vietnam) for approx 3 weeks around November...... (although have not booked anything yet)
    Would be great to meet up with people who might be travelling same places or just part of the trip, I will be flying out from the UK.....
    you can send me a email
    newperspective5@yahoo.com
    Thanks all.....

#17 Posted: 14/7/2012 - 05:14

• smiley1609

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2012

hi...
    i'm a 26 years old M, currently in Penang, Malaysia. This wednesday will catch a flight to bangkok.

#18 Posted: 16/7/2012 - 01:13

• emmalbateman

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2012

Hi Smiley 1609,

Give me a message if you plan to head down to the islands, I will be on Koh Sumui from the 27th & will then be heading over to Koh Phagnan & Koh Tao. Would be great to meet up if your around : )

#19 Posted: 17/7/2012 - 08:31

• thejeffsy

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2012

Hey all,
    Im flying over on August 1 (into Bangkok probs) til Nov 1. Still pretty iffy about the full moon party (ticked it off in Feb).
    Seeing as most people are doing similar timelines ... does anyone have opinions on what way to go around the 4 countries?

Since it is wet season im thinking its best to go anti-clockwise. My reasoning was because apparently the Thai islands dont receive as much wet weather ... and as my trip goes on, the monsoon season will reduce intensity as I go further north.

Ive not really planned anything at all yet ... except just to meet some awesome fun-loving peeps over there and go with the flow (though defs getting off the tourist trail now and then).

Though I do plan on making a Bucket list (no pun intended) for each country soon.

(24, m, Oz)

Feel free to stalk/contact me:
    - facebook.com/jeffsy

#20 Posted: 17/7/2012 - 09:44

• Afreiber

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2012

Hello everyone,

I'll be flying into Bangkok from NYC on September 14 and will be in SEA for approximately 6 months, though my trip is open ended. I'm 23 and will be travelling by myself. Would love to meet up with some other travellers! Please shoot me an email at afreiber@gmail.com if you want to try to figure something out or just say hello.

Hope you're all as excited as I am,

Allison

#21 Posted: 17/7/2012 - 10:57

• Sima87

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2012

Hi All,

I'm heading into Bangkok on Sunday 29th July and then going with the flow! I've booked a few hostels, but really looking forward to meeting new people - so if you're around then - feel free to send me an e-mail on sima_lad@hotmail.com.

Sima (24-F-UK)

#22 Posted: 24/7/2012 - 22:09

• vip

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2012

hi guys
    I haven't really made any plans yet , if you planning to visit pattaya kindly do let me know your schedules for the same will join you there accordingly, am also lonely ........
    thanks
    vip

#23 Posted: 26/7/2012 - 02:04

• kinghavana

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2012

Hi rhino_ceros-12 (Oanh), Nice to meet you. I shall be in Samui on Aug 3rd.....what are ur plans...msg me : kinghavana@hotmail.com

#24 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 06:18

• kinghavana

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2012

Hi Emma,

Nice to meet you here. I shall be in Samui on Aug 3rd. Any plans to be there, would be nice to meet up and have fun! Let me know...msg me: kinghavana@hotmail.com

hugzz, Havana.

#25 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 06:19

• saurabhroy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2012

Hey Emma

I plan to be in Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam all of August.I am traveling alone so would be great to meet up. Mail me at roynosaurus@gmail.com. I plan to be in Siem Reap on the 4th. Rest is undecided.

Regards
    Roy

#26 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 07:04

• mustang19

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2012

Hi Emma,

I'm also 23 (or I will be when I set off in Sept!). I'm heading to Indonesia (Bali to Jakarta) and then over to Bangkok 30th Sept to spend a month or so in Thailand, before heading to South Korea.

If you think we may cross paths, or just want to talk/add on Facebook, give me a message! :) x

#27 Posted: 31/7/2012 - 05:17

• letmeinplz

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2012

Hi, currently living in Malaysia, will hopefully be setting off to backpack all those sae areas around the same time! Thinking of starting in bangkok....then going anti-clockwise to cambodia, vietnam, laos etc from there... smile.gif (f-24-aus)

#28 Posted: 8/8/2012 - 06:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mexican 28yrs, travelling solo late July till December SE asia, looking for road buddies ... By Mexicano31 on 8 Apr 2010 13 2878 27 Jul 2012
24/M - Solo traveller landing in Bangkok on July 10th ... By oluwie on 17 Jun 2012 3 1335 28 Jun 2012
SE asia 1stnov -dec19 M,26,UK solo traveller ... By 0481908 on 19 Jun 2012 1 1587 7 Jul 2012
Solo Traveller Southeast Asia Mid Nov 09 for around 7 months ... By kelsey09 on 25 Aug 2009 18 3902 16 Jul 2012
Travelling solo from the 30 of july to the 28 of august ... By medinet on 24 Jul 2010 3 2220 24 Jul 2012
24/F Travelling solo to Thailand 27 July-17 Aug! ... By sarahdawn167 on 25 Jul 2012 5 786 26 Jul 2012
Solo travelling Thai/Cam/Loas for 6 weeks (July/Aug) ... By johnoreilly on 21 Mar 2012 24 2182 16 Jun 2012
24/M/ UK Travelling solo mid july --> thailand, laos, cambodia ... By Jduncan123 on 7 May 2012 7 1490 13 May 2012
Vietnam in June-July? 21yo F travelling solo ... By gadook on 4 Jun 2013 2 626 12 Jun 2013
Over 50 travelling to SE Asia solo ... By Vacateforfun on 14 Jun 2014 6 607 18 Jun 2014