Companions forum

SE Asia in Oct - Looking for travel companions

• hkl114

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2012

Looking for travel buddies for SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia) & Nepal. Will be backpacking it up for 4 months. I do not have a set itinerary yet but will most likely use Bangkok as start and end point.

I am from New York (27/m) and looking for awesome people who love to travel and share experiences & stories.

Also up for any advice on the order of countries I should go to.

Cheers!

-K

#1 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 16:58

• Advertisement

• mustang19

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2012

Hi K.

I'm heading out in September, too. I'm going to Bali, then overland to Jakarta, then flying into Bangkok (pretty blindly - I have NO plans for Thailand whatsoever yet). I think I'll stay a month or so in Thailand before heading up to South Korea.

If you think we may cross paths, or if you just want to talk etc then drop me a line. I'm nice, honest!

Kate x

#2 Posted: 31/7/2012 - 05:19

• Curly3112

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2012

Hi K and Kate... I seem to be crossing paths with you already!! Il try and send another message, but im on twitter @curly3112 if you can share ideas of where to stay in bangkok etc, I have no plans either! Im 30, (feel 24) and am escaping work for a couple of years, so am looking for people to chill/sunbathe/explore/drink with!!!!
    Take Care,
    Jenny x

#3 Posted: 4/8/2012 - 14:28

• HollyOdarav-
    la

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2012
    Location United States

Hey K,

I'm 25/F living in NZ, would love to meet up and travel. I"m a little skeptical going by myself. I'm thinking of booking my ticket for early Sept. Have you booked anything yet?

Holly

#4 Posted: 5/8/2012 - 17:14

• HollyOdarav-
    la

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2012
    Location United States

I meant Oct* Sorry :)

#5 Posted: 5/8/2012 - 17:48

• madisonmate

Joined Travelfish
    5th August, 2012

Hi Everyone,

I am a 20/F living in Vancouver, Canada. I am also interested in meeting someone to travel with towards the end of September. No set itinerary, but Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos are on my list to see!

My email is madisonmate@gmail.com

Madison

#6 Posted: 5/8/2012 - 18:02

• katiepeeps

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Hi guys,

My name's Katie and I'm also travelling on my own, I've arranged my flights already and plan to arrive in Bangkok on 2nd October and stay for a couple of nights before heading up to Chiang Mai. I have planned a rough itinerary for Northern Thailand, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia as I only have several weeks before heading to Australia.

If any of you fancy meeting for a bit of company then I'd be more than pleased to meet up. I'm 31 years old but don't let that put you off as I'm still as much fun as the youngsters ;-)

My contact details are below;

katie_peoples@hotmail.com
    Katie_Peeps - Twitter

Have fun!

K

#7 Posted: 17/8/2012 - 05:02

• lfitz17

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2012

Hi guys, I'm also travelling solo around similar dates and am also looking for some fun people to join up with for part of my trip. No definite itinary as yet other than I am landing in Bangkok on 5th October and plan to make my way up through North Thailand and then onto Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

I'm a 32 year old male, but dont act like it:) Originally from South Africa but have been living in London for 7 years and am passing SE Asia on my way back to SA.

Hopefully can meet up with some or all of you for some fun times!

My email address is : lfitz17@gmail.com

Laurence

#8 Posted: 9/9/2012 - 14:00

• deiron777

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2012

Hi all,

My name is Deiron, im 28/M and from Cambridge. I think most of us can be, or are going to be in and around Bangkok early October.
    I would love to hook up with you all for a journey whether it be great or small.
    I am definitely going to pick some friends up along the way and im sure you are all decent people. SO can we make this work?

Age is nothing- its good to have range of ages.....so enough of the age talk.

Lawrence- I fly in the day after you and would like to hear your take on London, im there nearly every other week and I have a love hate with it. I also want to go to SA so this is a great opportunity for me......jokes.

Katie- your plan sounds great!

Madison- good to talk to you.

email- deiron@hotmail.co.uk

Deiron

#9 Posted: 9/9/2012 - 18:18

• hkl114

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2012

Hi All,

I finally set my travel dates, will be landing in Bangkok on Oct. 7th. Will be planning on heading up to northern Thailand and into Laos, not sure when I will do that.

Anyone around Bangkok around that time frame want to meet up?

Also, anyone got any recommendations for hostels in BK?

#10 Posted: 9/9/2012 - 20:54

• Advertisement

• katiepeeps

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Hi hkl114,

I have been recommended the below accommodation in Bangkok;

D&D Inn - http://www.khaosanby.com/DD-Inn/index.htm
    Buddy Lodge - http://www.buddylodge.com/

I will only be staying in Bangkok 2 nights max then heading up by overnight train to Chiang Mai on 5th October so may see you somewhere along the line.

Enjoy your travels!

K

#11 Posted: 10/9/2012 - 04:34

• deiron777

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2012

hkl114,
    I arrive the day after you in Bangkok and also plan to meet Madison who is on this thread. I would like to meet up as the route you are taking and the period near enough the same!

Im told most hostels on the Koh san road are resonable I guess it depends on your overall budget. Do you have the lonely planet book for South East Asia It has reviews and great directions for every major city!

I would like to so go to see the bridge on the river kwai http://www.bridgeriverkwai.com/ before heading out of the Bangkok area, then Ill happy get out of the hustle and bustle and head north for Laos or East into Cambodia.

Thanks

Deiron

#12 Posted: 10/9/2012 - 06:57

• katiepeeps

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

Hi Guys,

I've just had an article forwarded to me which was published in The Sunday Times regarding Tubing in Laos - see below. You may want to check the situation before heading there if this was your main reason to visit Laos.

In brief: Laos bans death ridesThe Sunday Times Published: 9 September 2012

24 riverside clubs and bars have been closed down in Vang Vieng (John Elk III)
    Laos is finally clamping down on unregulated adrenaline sports in the backpacker haven of Vang Vieng, where 27 tourists died in 2011. In April, The Sunday Times revealed the number of casualties, which were mainly related to incidents involving the makeshift zip wires and tubing operations that have sprung up along the Nam Song River. Travellers, often incapacitated by hallucinogen-laced milkshakes and lao-lao whisky served by the bucket, would float downriver from bar to bar on inner tubes, usually without life jackets. Now the government has closed down 24 riverside clubs and bars, announced the closure of all zip wires pending safety assessments and required tubing operations to use lifejackets and be restricted to daylight hours. “We have set ourselves the target of bringing a new face to the Vang Vieng district by October,” said the leader of the task force, Boualy Milattanapheng.

Not all locals approve of the crackdown. Johannes Koolkas, a long-term resident, said: “Things may have been getting a little out of control over the past year or two, but completely shutting all these local businesses down is maybe not the best idea. A stronger police force and trained first-aid staff on the river would most likely help.”

#13 Posted: 10/9/2012 - 07:10

• deiron777

Joined Travelfish
    7th August, 2012

Not surprised in the slightest I have seen more and more negative feedback on the tubing in Laos.
    Shame though I was looking forward to that ride in the sun, I was going to give the zip lines and rope swings the shoulder anyhow.
    Still got the Gibbon experience in North Laos though!
    Thanks Katie

#14 Posted: 10/9/2012 - 09:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel companions, SE Asia, March - May ... By magella82 on 17 Feb 2010 8 2324 7 Apr 2010
NOV 12 - SE ASIA. Travel companions with a plan...or a plan ... By chocolat on 25 Jul 2012 1 776 30 Jul 2012