Companions forum

Solo female wants companion

• shirleen

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2012
    Location Canada

I realize October 2013 is 10 months off-(work contract done then) I'm starting now Age/gender irrelevant-just a desire to explore SouthEast Asia for a few months or more.

#1 Posted: 10/12/2012 - 15:47

• Advertisement

• lauraoc1989

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2012

Hi Shirleen,

I am planning on travelling to south east asia in october 2013 aswell, as my working holiday visa will expire then. I am currently in New Zealand. I am thinking about spending about 4 to 6 months in total in asia. i am 23 years old and have travelled africa and australia and i am now travelling in new zealand. what country are you from / currently in?

Laura

#2 Posted: 16/12/2012 - 21:28

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'm not sure what I'm doing tomorrow?

#3 Posted: 17/12/2012 - 06:59

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi shirleen,

You've written that age and gender aren't important, but I suspect they are. For example, I'm a nearly 50-year-old male who has travelled extensively in Thailand and Laos. I think the experience of travelling with me would be very different than travelling with a 20-something female on her first southeast Asia visit. And while I'd likely be pretty enthusiastic about hanging out with that 20-something woman for a few days, I seriously doubt she'd feel the same way about me.

In other words, even though age and gender may not be important to you, they may be to others, so I think you'll have a much better chance attracting potential travel partners if you disclose some details about yourself, including your age, interests, etc. Where do you plan to go? What types of things do you want to do? Is it temples and museums or partying on the beach? Are you a big spender or strictly backpacker budget? Are you looking to share a room or separate quarters? Will you be moving around a lot or staying in one place for awhile? Do you like an occasional drink with dinner or really like to cut loose while on holiday? Compatibility in those areas, particularly the party factor and budget, will really help you have more fun with travel partners.

So, what's the scoop? Cheers.

#4 Posted: 17/12/2012 - 11:53

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I've been recently contacted by an 18 yr.old girl who displayed interest in travelling with me? I can't say that this has happened to me before, but I suspect when she finds out my age she may reconsider, although I'm not hiding anything... she has seen photos of me. Perhaps hanging out with an experienced traveller makes her feel more secure and safe?

It's all talk for now, but I have to agree with exacto on this, age does make a difference to many people, as does appearance and gender - that's the way I see it, even is the relationship is purely platonic. Besides, if I hear her say Full Moon Party just once, I'd be the one to reconsider :)

#5 Posted: 17/12/2012 - 14:40

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

There is definitely something to be said about hanging out with experienced travellers. Back in the 90's, my wife and I found ourselves hanging out with quite a few single women and younger couples. They stuck with us because we were familar with Thailand and spoke the language pretty well. That even happened to me on my last visit to southern Laos, where I enjoyed the company of both people my age and some much younger folks.

Personally, I prefer to meet up with people while I'm on the road rather than arrange something online. I did a 4-day trip to Koh Chang once with a young woman I met online. She was really nice, but as we discovered once we got to the island, we had different ideas about budgets; one of us liked to stay up late and the other was a morning person, etc. It didn't ruin the trip, but it didn't compare as well as with the people I've met on the road. At least that way I found folks who were in places that interested me, doing the same things I wanted to do, etc. It just helps create better matches, I'd say, independent of age and gender even.

When I first started travelling by myself, it was very difficult and I felt awkward. But as I travelled more, I learned to really appreciate the 100% freedom that comes with travelling alone. I usually try to include some time by myself as well as with friends or loved ones on each trip just to get the best of both styles. Not that anyone asked. Regards.

#6 Posted: 17/12/2012 - 15:58

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I always plan to travel alone, but I'm always on the look out for Travbuddies doing the same route as me. Unfortunately, most do the typical route they've seen in LP. Or the other factor being is that they are on such a fixed tight schedule it makes me dizzy. If I like a place I stay, if I don't I leave.

Now that I think of it I've always hung out with younger travellers, the girl I travelled with in Laos was 26. We had disagreements, but overall I was happy to be with someone, as for Thailand being alone is a breeze. I have a 22 yr-old girl from France arriving to stay with me a week tomorrow. I'll be meeting up with people in BK my next trip, some of whom I met my last time I was there via CS. Granted, I'm not a big spender so that affects who I meet in many ways. Also I don't stay in dorms, so I miss out on meeting people that way too.

I met a guy in a bus in India, about 4 yrs ago. There was another girl there too - I suggested the 3 of us get a room together, she was uncomfortable with this. I stuck with the guy, we got a room and ended up travelling together for 10 days.

#7 Posted: 17/12/2012 - 16:33

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I've often wondered about the success of people's quests for travelling companions on TF. It's not something that appeals to me as you just don't know who/what you'd end up with. I'd much rather bump into someone during my travels that I actually develop a rapport with and go from there. That way, you've at least done some initial pre-investigative work.

There are so many factors that come into play that could make/break such a companionship:
    - age (teeny bopper vs old fart)
    - budget / travel style (bones of your a$$ vs flashpacker)
    - personality (gregarious/obnoxious vs chilled/quiet/reserved, respectful vs arrogant/ignorant of people around you)
    - travel interests (temples, hiking, lying on a beach, visiting locals in villages)
    - personal habits (messy vs- tidy, early riser -vs- late night partier, snorer, drugs vs abstainer, etc)
    - etc, etc

So - for you you people that regularly post on TF looking for companions, how many of you actually meet up? And does it work out for you?

#8 Posted: 17/12/2012 - 17:54

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I snore, so I'm told :) Based on the comments the OP probably didn't expect, I'd say posting anywhere and asking a common stranger to share your trip of a lifetime adventure is likely not the best idea?

CS is the best place to meet travelbuddies I think, People on TF hardly bother to post a proper profile or like to their FB page, therefore quite pointless - you want to know who you'll be travelling with... Blank profiles on any site are a big FAIL!

#9 Posted: 17/12/2012 - 18:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
30/M In Phuket End of March, Looking for Female companion ... By toobossy on 8 Mar 2012 1 835 8 Mar 2012
Solo USA traveler looking for companion ... By bman88 on 22 Nov 2013 0 487 22 Nov 2013