Companions forum

Alone in Krabi. What do I do???

• listenuphip-
    py

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2012

Hi i'm a female travelling alone until late dec and I feel so lost and alone! Any tips on how to get to know anyone? I haven't had a conversation for days and i'm starting to feel very depressed. Anyway, thanks!

#1 Posted: 10/12/2012 - 22:07

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi hippy,

sign up for a tour or a day trip like snorkelling. these trips put you in a ready-made group where it is easy to meet people and start up a conversation.

i've always thought single females had the advantage meeting people, because they are usually welcomed by other single females, single males, and couples. you can always ask to join people at a restaurant or at the beach. they may say no, but so what? odds are you can meet a few nice people just be saying hello that way.

finally, i've done a lot of travelling by myself and have come to enjoy it. i like the 100% flexibility of coming and going wherever and whenever i want. when i travel by myself, i take postcards with me to restaurants and spend the time between ordering and food arriving to write to my friends back home about what i did that day. it makes me feel like i am sharing the experience with others.

i hope that helps. best wishes.

#2 Posted: 11/12/2012 - 08:34

• listenuphip-
    py

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2012

Thanks so much, it is great advice, the thing i find myself doing in those situations is i freeze and for some reason my facial impressions come across as quite hostile! When my intentions are anything but. Grr, frustrating. i would really like some friends

#3 Posted: 11/12/2012 - 10:37

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

One of the guys on this forum (altmtl, I think?) started up a Facebook page for travellers in the SEA region. Maybe put a post on there and see if anyone is around that you can meet up with for a drink or meal.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SEASIA2012/

Actually - just having a look, someone has just posted to see if anyone else is in Krabi on 16-18 December. Maybe that's a good start.

Like exacto, I find I really enjoy my travelling time alone, but yes, it can be lonely at times. I'm not a natural conversation-starter with people that I don't know, so I understand the difficulty.

Some suggestions:
    - In a crowded restaurant or table at a market, if there are spare seats on a table, ask if you can join them.
    - Join a organised tour as mentioned by exacto. I still keep in touch with a girl I met on a snorkel tour in Railey 4 years ago.
    - Go to a small cafe/restaurant run be ex-pats during a quiet time (not a busy lunch hour). If they're not busy, and are fairly socialable, you may find that they are quite happy to chew the fat with you for awhile. And they might have some ideas on where else you can go. (I say ex-pat as opposed to locals because sometimes you just want to have an easy conversation with someone that can relate to you)
    - Google to see if there are any ex-pat clubs/groups in the area.
    - Contrary to my comment above about meeting up with ex-pats, start up a conversation with some locals. Often it's hard to get past the 'where are you from? Are you married? Do you have kids? Where are you going?' questions - but sometimes they can take you on a unexpected journey. Some of my favourite moments are in SEA are random conversations that I've had with locals that turn into little mini-adventures. I also still keep in touch with a few Indonesians that I met in Lembongan and Bali 4 years ago.

Good luck!

#4 Posted: 11/12/2012 - 13:32

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Thanks for the plug - I have a 2013 group too [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]
    ZoomButt.gif

I'm wondering how common this "I'm depressed and alone" thing comes up? In general people are always bragging about how awesome their trip is, and I know from experience, that I've had some pretty lousy days and experiences when travelling - As pointed out, I'd think it would be easier for a girl to meet people... Sometimes I try and strike up conversations with other solo travellers and they are simply not interested, so who knows what people want or are looking for?

#5 Posted: 12/12/2012 - 02:36

• listenuphip-
    py

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2012

altmtl- i am experiencing just that! Thanks for the advice to you other guys, you really have helped me in a time of need. I am now staying in a western friendly guesthouse/hostel place which has completely removed me from my isolation predicament, which tbh, was getting quite scary and i was experiencing doubts about my every move to the point that it just felt safer both physically and psychology to stay im my room. Now that the day has suddenly opened opportunities before my eyes, I feel comletely different and once again ready to take on the world! Exacto's suggestion of joining a local tour was invaluable, as i would not even have considered the idea of a tour (not being tourist snobby, just used to finding my own way around)! Thanks for you help guys, i couldn't appreciate it more

#6 Posted: 12/12/2012 - 03:43

• Anique

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2012

Hello listenuphippy,
    When I travelled by myself I felt lonely a lot of times. Also when I met other people. From the start that I was accepting to be alone and looking only at nature and the culture, being all by myself and not wanting to meet people I felt allright. From that point I startted to meet people. Try to see what is around, the uniqueness of being in Asia. Try all the good advices as taking part of a organized trip not for the meeting but just to enjoy the sights and you will see, people will come to you. You will become a strong independent traveler who can enjoy company but don't meet them.
    Doortje (an elder lady who has been traveling alone a lot and learned to do so)

#7 Posted: 12/12/2012 - 06:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Signing up for a group event is a good idea. Also you might just go to a bar... that is a place where people naturally go to socialize and alcohol has been a known social lubricant for thousands of years - I mean we're not going to reinvent the wheel here.

#8 Posted: 12/12/2012 - 22:29

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

"They say alcohol kills a lot of people, but they never mention how many people were created because of it"

#9 Posted: 13/12/2012 - 04:47

• listenuphip-
    py

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2012

Thanks guys for all your help. I'm going on a day sea kayaking group tomorrow. Maybe I'll meet people, maybe not but at least I've gathered the courage and confidence to get out and explore this beautiful country! Your advice has been fantastic :)

#10 Posted: 19/12/2012 - 19:53

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Sounds like a good way to see a bit of the scenery AND meet some people. Hope you have a good time. :-)

#11 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 02:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.