Companions forum

Solo First Time Traveler in SEA Feb-June 2013, travel buddies and itinery tips sought! asap

• SeemaSEA2013

Joined Travelfish
    11th February, 2013

Hi Guys,

Have found this website really useful to date! I am lucky enough to have 4-5 months to travel SEA, not so lucky in that this time off was only finalised two weeks ago!

So I have a rough itinery on which any tips re what to see, travel between, safety issues and good places to stay would be greatly appreciated. Flights are due to be booked this week with a arrival in Bangkok for mid-late feb. Anyone who will be/is around at the same time and wants to meet fellow travelers please let me know too!

So, here goes:

Thailand (1 month):
    Bangkok grand palace, wat phra, wat pho, chao phraya 3-4 N (slightly nervous re BKK alone)
    Ko Tao 7N
    Ko Pha Nang?
    Railay 4N (love climbing...do need your own harness?! Or just shoes)
    Khoa Sok 3N guided tour (preferably group)
    Chang Mai area 10N

Laos (2 weeks):
    Laung Prabang 4N
    Huay Xai 3N Gibbons/Bokeo
    Si Phan Don 5N

Vietnam n(3 weeks):
    Sapa 3-4N
    Hanoi 2N
    Halong Bay 2N
    Hoi 2N
    Mui Ne 3N although have been advised to find a less touristy beach?!
    Ho chi min 3N
    Mekong delta 3-4N

Cambodia (2 weeks)

Phnom penh 3N
    Siem Reap 5N
    Kep and Kampot 4N

I suppose with travel between destinations this could take around 3-4 months, so I have a month spare, which I would love to visit China in but havent got time to sort out a visa at this end, can you sort it in BKK or other places? Also could do maybe Australia East coast as at ticket with this included is not a huge amount more than a return to BKK. Or do you think this would take up the whole 5 months. I suppose it depends on how much money I have used up by the end of the SEA circuit.

Other seeds of fear planted by others! - Travel ''Saturation'', Safety on public transport esp the longer journeys...

Anyway, please feel free to comment as am heading out in no time!

Thank you in advance,

Seema

#1 Posted: 11/2/2013 - 17:12

• Advertisement

• Clarissa

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2012

Hi Seema,

Sounds like a great trip. I'm currently doing SEA with my partner but we also did a trip last year which included Vietnam, Laos and a few of the Thai Islands. I'll only really be able to help with the Vietnam stuff though as I haven't been to many of the other places you listed.

Since I travelled with my partner I won't be able to help you much with accomodation but this also depends on how much you want to spend. In Sapa we stayed at Fansipan View hotel which had nice rooms, a balcony and a great view. We took a tour here but it could easily be done independently as the tracks aren't hard to walk and it would be easy to follow everyone else.

As for travelling by yourelf on the trains and buses (I wouldn't recomend the sleeper buses) I never felt threatened. I felt safe everywhere in SEA although arriving early in the dark on a sleeper train did make me feel vulnerable. We had to wait on the streets in Hanoi for our hotel to open in the early hours of the morning so if you're going to take the sleeper train make sure your hotel has 24hr reception.

I haven't been to Mui Ne, we went to Nha Trang instead. I didn't find the beaches very spectacular although we were there in monsoon season. After being to Thailand you may not appreciate the Vietnamese beaches. Maybe spend some more time in Hoi An as this is a great place to relax and explore or check out Phong Nha Ke Bang NP. It depends what you like doing, if you like the outdoors the tour we did with the Phong Nha Farmstay was alot of fun and Paradise cave is spectacular, personaaly I'm over seing caves but this cave is well worth seeing. Hoi An also has a beach, it was pouring rain when we went there so I'm ot sure what it's like but if you want to get some beach time in you could do it here.

I hope some of this helps :)

Clarissa

#2 Posted: 11/2/2013 - 19:24

• lily19

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2013

Hello,

I am trying to look for a female companion traveling to Bangkok on June 11 until June 15.

This is my first time traveling alone and it would be wonderful to have a female companion.

I am planning to visit the historic sights of BKK and do a some shopping.

by the way I already have my plane ticket.

Thanks.

Please let me know if you are interested.

#3 Posted: 13/5/2013 - 19:33

• lily19

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2013

Hello,

I am trying to look for a female companion traveling to Bangkok on June 11 until June 15.

This is my first time traveling alone and it would be wonderful to have a female companion.

I am planning to visit the historic sights of BKK and do a some shopping.

by the way I already have my plane ticket.

Thanks.

Please let me know if you are interested.

#4 Posted: 13/5/2013 - 19:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
First Time Traveler in SEA Feb-June 2013, travel buddies sought! ... By SeemaSEA2013 on 11 Feb 2013 5 1426 25 Apr 2013
24 female looking for travel buddies or anyone who has any tips for a solo traveller :) ... By mycs1106 on 10 Oct 2012 1 1578 11 Oct 2012
Solo traveler looking for people to meet up with/ travel with- July 2013 ... By mlkittleson on 6 May 2013 4 1376 31 May 2013
Female Traveling Solo in December - Tips or Travel Buddies? ... By emc on 12 Nov 2012 21 6358 23 Jul 2013
Looking for Thailand/Malaysia/Bali travel buddies June/July 2013 ... By islandtravels on 21 May 2013 5 1664 13 Jul 2013
Where's best to stay in bangkok for first time solo traveler (hostels where mainly solo backpacke ... By Paddy1888 on 10 Oct 2013 3 4092 12 Oct 2013
First time solo traveler (getting nervous!) ... By denisey123 on 27 Mar 2014 8 1481 29 Mar 2014
26 year old male solo traveler:1/29/2011- April/May/June??? ... By bradencobb on 11 Jan 2011 1 3017 15 May 2013
Best places to trek in early May? First time solo traveler ... By JMM on 1 Mar 2013 3 1801 22 Apr 2013
Travelling SE Asia Solo (first time traveler) advice please :) ... By chris9393 on 17 Apr 2014 41 2547 25 Apr 2014