Companions forum

21yo Female 1st Trip to Thailand, Solo-Anyone around in December?

• drewebear

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hi All,

Firstly, have to shout out to somtam2000 & mooball who answered all my q's a couple of months back because...

I've finally gone ahead and booked my flights! I'm excited and nervous all at the same time; it's a bit daunting going alone as a female but this is something I really feel like I need to do as I very much like to do things my way. I'd hate to eventually find someone for the whole trip and us disagree about where to go, pace etc. I planned to do the whole of SE Asia in 5/6 months however I've settled on 2 months in Thailand for my first solo trip.

Anyway, my flight lands in the evening on 7th December 2013. I land at 8pm so I'm just wondering what transport is like around this time? I want to keep the trip as cheap as possible but is it wise to take a train/bus at this time? I'd much rather take a train than a bus really. I'll book my accommodation online, will be in the Khao San Rd area probably unless someone has a better suggestion?

Is anyone going to being Bangkok this time? I'm going to stay for about 4 days just to get my bearings and see where the wind takes me. I'd love to meet people the same age as me, particularly if you're a solo female too :)

#1 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 07:10

• Advertisement

• JDavie

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2013
    Location Canada

Good for you on making the decision to go by yourself! I plan on doing that too because I love the freedom of doing what I want when I want, plus I feel like meeting new people is much easier when you're alone. I plan on going to SE Asia in mid-August or early September, for around 4-6 months. Perhaps if I am in the area in December we can meet up! I am24/Female/Canadian.

Cheers!

#2 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 10:04

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

No problem for transport from the airport at that time of the evening. Best thing to do is show up with the name, address and phone number of the place where you're staying printed off (from the website ... in Thai) and take it to the Public Meter Taxi stand on the Departures level. For the fare on the meter plus another 50 baht you will be taken from the airport to the front door of your guest house or hotel or whatever. Total cost will likely be less than $10 CDN. It's definitely the easiest way. Traffic won't be too bad at that time, either.

The KSR area is quite good for meeting other people. If you stay at a place with a good common area you'll probably meet people going your way, or who may want to go your way.

This site has a wealth of info on places to stay in and around KSR and its surrounding areas.

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/khao_san_road/all

#3 Posted: 26/4/2013 - 13:24

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If you head out to Mukdahan, drop me a line. I can steer you around this neck of the woods.

#4 Posted: 28/4/2013 - 06:53

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

You need a tourist visa for stays longer than 30 days in Thailand. December is peak time so there will be backpackers everywhere especially KSR which is full of them. Try to learn some Thai before you go, especially the numbers as it helps when negotiating. Some other useful phrases:

Mai Ao (My our) - means don't want. Handy when touts are trying to sell you stuff.
    Mai Phet (My pet) - means not spicy. Again handy if you want a dish without too much chilli.
    Tao Rai? (Towel rye) - How much?
    Hong Narm u tee nai? - Where is the toilet? Hong narm means toilet. Tee nai is where.
    Khorp khun kaa - thank you
    Sawadee kaa - hello/goodbye

#5 Posted: 28/4/2013 - 19:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Not to be pedantic Leonard (advice on learning some language was good) but:

Mai Ao is prnounced Mai Owe - no "r" sound which Thai does not have as a final consanant sound.
    Tao Rai is not "Towel" Rye. It's one syllable - Tao or Towe. As in Tao Rai.
    Hong Nahm vice Hong Narm.
    Khap Khun vice Khorp Khun.

Drewebear:

There are some websites on the internet worth checking out on this subject. However when it comes to pronunciation, Thai is tricky. Small differences and change meaning or simply leave you with no meaning at all. You'll need a Thai to practice basic phrases with to cofirm proper pronunciation.

#6 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 00:16

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Mai Ao is a very common phrase and they will understand. I only used those rough examples as a guide.

Tao is not a common word used in English which is why I used towel.

Yes Thai is tricky if you are trying to have a conversation but when using simple phrases in the right context ie you're at the markets and you say tao rai or towel rai they will understand.

Thais themselves are lazy with their own tongues and mispronounce words or shorten them ie Khrup becomes Khup/Cup.

#7 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 08:58

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

" It's one syllable "

Towel is also one syllable [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

"prnounced Mai Owe - no "r" sound "

There is no "r" sound in our if you are speaking correctly. It's a short sharp our not ou rrr.

#8 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 09:07

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"Teach this by discovery, after the OY/OI combination -- dictate simple "ow" words, student being fully aware that they are spelled "ow," and let it be noticed how many words end in ow... but it's not the end of the word, it's the end of the syllable that matters. There are exceptions here -- but the exceptions also follow discoverable patterns. If a word ends in w or l or n, it almost always keeps the "ow." If a student needs a possible reason, I postulate that a word like "towel" is spelled with two syllables, but we talk so fast it turns into one "

I've never spoken towel in 2 syllables but there you go. http://www.resourceroom.net/readspell/wordlists/last3sylltypes/owlist.asp

#9 Posted: 29/4/2013 - 09:23

• drewebear

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice!

I'm applying for a 60 day visa from the Thai embassy in Hull. I'm heading off to Spain in a few weeks so won't send it off till July (should be plenty of time).

Thai wise, I am trying however as it's tonal I'm finding it hard. I'll learn the most basic phrases I can as I'm sure a little goes a long way (hello, please, thank you etc). Hopefully youtube can help me out on this one but we'll see..

Seems like I should just stick to KSR for 4 or so days to meet some people and have a good mooch through the markets. Hopefully I meet someone on the plane or in BKK airport who will share a cab with me, guessing that's a good way to cushion the blow.

Madmac - what's up around Mukdahan? North East Thailand is the only place I haven't got on my itinerary as of yet due to lack of knowledge of the area. Would be great to meet up!

#10 Posted: 30/4/2013 - 13:49

• Advertisement

• Starving_So-
    und

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2013
    Location United States

I'm an American. I think I'll be in Bangkok by December. I just arrived myself. Staying in Sattifhip for now. Going to get a condo nearby in Pattaya in a few days for a couple of months. Hopefully not too near the smutty and night clubby side. Hit me up. I'll show you around. I should have my bearings by then. I'm also part Thai and have family all over.

#11 Posted: 30/4/2013 - 23:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Leonard you must be a Brit or something... they can't speak English properly. Never moved with the time. Stuck in a time warp linguistically. Like the Bavarians.

Yeah Thai is funny. At first I had a hard time with it but now it's coming. It's starting to make sense to me. Only took six years... and two years of school.

Drew: Mukdahan is provincial Thailand in transition. Best way I can describe it. It's not full of sights to see. It has an easy pace of life. It's right on the Mekong river. There is a very good band here that plays Thai folk music. We have some excellent restaraunts. I know the city and area well as I have lived here six years now. And Wat That Phanom is not far away. One of the most significant historical temples in Thailand and a very nice one. Major tourist attraction for Thai tourists. 50 km further upriver is NKP. Ho Chi Minh used to live there and his old shack is now a converted museum.

#12 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 02:38

• Starving_So-
    und

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2013
    Location United States

I think I was just at that one Madmac. Is it the one where everything is old and made of stone. Like something from the very old Thai movies? With the giant eight headed cobra and the figure under its hood? I know we were all up by the Mekhong area. We made a huge circle the three cities I can remember hitting are leaving from Sattihip to somewhere to Udon to somewhere to Ubon and back to Sattihip. Maybe more. I lost track of time.

#13 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 04:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

No, that's not it. This one has a very large Chedi, dominates the town. The oldest Chedi in Thailand. And it is a beautiful temple, well maintined. And very large. It's in That Phanom, right on the Mekong River. The temple itself sits about 500 meters from the water, maybe a bit less.

#14 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 06:46

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Alone as a female you might find Issan a bit dull. It's best done in a pair with a car as many sights are spread out.

#15 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 06:58

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

MM, I think you're about 30 years behind the times because most people speak fast and shorten words rather than add on a syllable. Thais are so lazy they say 7 instead of 7/11 and 20yo westerners speak in sms talk.

#16 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 06:59

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

You could be right Leonard. I definitely pronounce Towel with two syllables.

Yeah, Thais do say "Seven". I do too now.

As for Issan - depends on whether you are coming for the "sights". Although a car for me is ALWAYS a no-go. I hate them. Motorcycle all the way.

#17 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 10:48

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Not too many single females would want to ride around Issan. Tis a nice spot but better done with 2 or more people.

#18 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 11:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

There's a lady here who road her bicycle from Bangkok to Mukdahan, not in a direct line - alone. She hung out with me a couple of days. Met her right her on travelfish. Worked for her (although personally I would find a bike exhauting - motorcycle is my preference).

#19 Posted: 1/5/2013 - 13:17

• alexandra77

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2013

hey hey !
    I'm also planning to be in thailand for nov/dec time, haven't booked anything just yet but defiantly going to do it! :)

Also going solo so bit nervous! would be great to meet up!

planning on hopping around thailand for around 2 months then moving on to OZ.

I'm a 23yr old female from london :)

#20 Posted: 26/5/2013 - 14:43

• kelbosch

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2013

Hey!

Im a 25 y/o female from South Africa, travelling solo to Thailand in December 2013.
    I will be going to the Full Moon/ NYE party at Koh Phangan.

Very keen on meeting up with some new people if anyone is on that side of the world! :)

Kelly

#21 Posted: 18/8/2013 - 11:59

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'm planning to be around in Dec. Most likely staying on Koh Lanta - Not interested in all the Full Moon Party crap however.

#22 Posted: 17/9/2013 - 04:16

• Lorongsatu

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2013

Hello,

I'm Richard Chan From Sarawak, E'Malaysia. I've planned to visit Thailand end of December. Do you mind to travel around together? Please drop me a line if you don't mind and we could start to make travel schedule. Thanks and hope to hear from you soon. Have a nice day...Cheers

Best regards,
    Richard

#23 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 17:04

• Emz892014

Joined Travelfish
    27th November, 2013

Hey!

I am 24, solo female traveller too! I arrive in Bangkok on 11th dec, will stay for the night then head up to Chiang Mai the following afternoon. I am pretty nervous about travelling solo so if anyone is around this time drop me a PM. Would be great to meet up with fellow solo travellers too :)

Emma

#24 Posted: 27/11/2013 - 10:48

• awesomeuser-
    name

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2013
    Location Switzerland

Hi! I am landing on 12 December and thinking about to go to Cambodia. Somebody around?

#25 Posted: 27/11/2013 - 12:42

• adbeats06

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2013
    Location Canada

Hey!

I will be in BKK Jan 7-9 then heading up to Chiang Mai until the 14th. You around for any of those dates?

Alanna

#26 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 23:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Female Traveling Solo in December - Tips or Travel Buddies? ... By emc on 12 Nov 2012 21 5578 23 Jul 2013
Vietnam in June-July? 21yo F travelling solo ... By gadook on 4 Jun 2013 2 560 12 Jun 2013
American female traveling Thailand & Burma December ... By hayesvalleygirl on 15 Nov 2012 3 837 25 Nov 2012
19/F, Travelling solo, Thailand December ... By beccus on 4 Dec 2011 2 1036 6 Dec 2011
30/Female traveling solo Thailand/Laos! ... By leavingsoon on 29 Mar 2011 10 3037 21 Apr 2011
Solo F/24 Australian in Southern Thailand 6th-21st of December ... By clairemagdalena on 25 Nov 2011 3 870 26 Nov 2011
Thailand Islands Jan 2011 - solo female traveller ... By Zahin on 28 Oct 2010 3 2385 14 Nov 2010
Solo female looking to meet people in Thailand starting Bangkok 1st Nov ... By crazyblondechick on 24 Jul 2011 8 3856 10 Oct 2011
California Solo Female Traveler Spending April in Thailand ... By kaceyh415 on 27 Mar 2012 0 1223 27 Mar 2012
solo female traveler in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam May 26-Aug ... By Heathermenz on 5 May 2011 7 3541 8 May 2012