Companions forum

travelling thailand nov/dec time solo!

• alexandra77

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2013

Hey Guys!

i haven't booked anything just yet but looking to travel thailand for 2 months in nov/dec time.
    going solo so a little bit nervous, especially in bangkok!
    i know theres a lot of solo travellers out there and its supposedly easy to meet new people.
    However would be great to find out if anyone is going to be there around the same time!
    I'm a 23 year old female, would love to meet people who are around the same age and looking to have a fun time in thailand ! :)

#1 Posted: 26/5/2013 - 14:50

• Advertisement

• Ellis

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2013

I'm travelling solo too! Going to NZ, oz and china first, will be in Thailand in December/January. Exciting stuff!!

#2 Posted: 26/5/2013 - 16:02

• jemma94

Joined Travelfish
    29th May, 2013

Hi i am a 19 year old female also looking to travel bangkok and thailand in november but haven't made any booking as yet as i am a little nervous to go solo

#3 Posted: 29/5/2013 - 05:27

• Screamincav-
    es

Joined Travelfish
    29th May, 2013

I am travelling SE Asia solo for 6 months+ in September. This is my first time travelling and I am pretty nervous about it, I think the best thing to do is to just book the flights then at least its real and happening and you can start planning it and getting excited.

#4 Posted: 29/5/2013 - 05:58

• jemma94

Joined Travelfish
    29th May, 2013

where about is SE asia are you heading? i think i'm just going to do that!

#5 Posted: 29/5/2013 - 07:21

• Screamincav-
    es

Joined Travelfish
    29th May, 2013

The plan right now is to go Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.. I might go to Malaysia as well.

I got a pretty good deal on a flight and can change my flight times for up to a year so going to stay as long as possible.

#6 Posted: 29/5/2013 - 07:51

• clbroderick

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2013

hi guys
    im chloe

looking to travel Thailand for 1-2 months then maybe on to Vietnam or Cambodia in 2014 if interested email me and we can speak more :)

email me clbroderick95@hotmail.co.uk

#7 Posted: 24/6/2013 - 10:20

• alexandra77

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2013

Hey jemma, Where abouts are you thinking to go in Thailand ? X

#8 Posted: 24/6/2013 - 12:17

• jemma94

Joined Travelfish
    29th May, 2013

i don't really have much of a plan yet, i arrive in bangkok on the second of november what about yourself?

#9 Posted: 24/6/2013 - 20:11

• m18mpa

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2013

Hey guys,

I'm Marc from North Yorkshire - UK

Travelling across Asia in January 2014 until mid April - if anyone wants to chat about there trip email me m18mpa@hotmail.co.uk or add me on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/#!/marc.andrews.7

I'm 26

I travelled solo across America last month and loved every minute of it - met some amazing people

Thanks Marc

#10 Posted: 25/6/2013 - 03:31

• Advertisement

• alexandra77

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2013

I'm planning to fly out 11th November- go to Phuket-phiphi side then over to Samui-Tao-phagnan for new year time then head off to oz! X

#11 Posted: 25/6/2013 - 08:43

• ricardo4

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hi alexandra and jemma :-) im hopefully going to be going around early november too and am also travelling on my own, are you flying from england? If you want to chat email me on kevinspaceyuk@googlemail.com

#12 Posted: 28/6/2013 - 00:24

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Oh to be 19yo and nervous about things...

#13 Posted: 28/6/2013 - 08:55

• bradleyshar-
    vell

Joined Travelfish
    2nd July, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hello,

I can understand you being worried about travelling around Thailand by yourself buy honestly you have nothing to worry about. If you stick to the tourist areas in each place you go to you'll be fine and meet people within minutes of being in a bar/pub. I suppose its a bit different for me as i am male and don't really worry about things too much. I would suggest you stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok or Sukhumvit Soi 11. I stayed on Khao San Road Last year for about 5 nights in total but that was throughout my 6 weeks travelling around Thailand as Bangkok seems to be the point of transferring around. Out of my 6 weeks travelling I did 4 of them weeks by myself and you meet the most amazing people even if its only for one night but you'll still keep in contact through Facebook or Whatsapp. I've been back from Thailand now for 6 months and i still speak to at least one person a day i met travelling. Its an amazing experience and i wouldn't change it for the world.

Im guessing that your not interested in any of the seedy/Red Light Districts in Thailand? If you are just interested in a bit of culture and mainly partying and chilling on the beach i would definitely recommend you go to the Islands down south and spend some time there. i would look to plan your travelling around the Full Moon Party on Koh Phangnan as you need normally a minimum of 4/5 nights stay in the hotels over Full Moon Week. I would look to book them hotels/hostels ASAP especially if your looking to go to the Full Moon over new year.

In Koh Samui I would recommend staying in Chawang at a hotel called Coconut Grove. Its about 2 minute walk from the Famous Arc Bar hotel which has a pool party and beach party twice a week and also is a short walk from the living bar street.

Koh Tao is a must place to go. I would definitely recommend doing a Scuba Diving course there. I would not book anything in advanced as there are many deals that you can get by either just turning up to the resort or by booking on the ferry over from Koh Phangnan or Chumpion. Make sure you check out Lotus Bar and Fishbowl for a good night out on the beach, Also a bar/restaurant called Choppers. Good Aussie bar with some great food.

Koh Phi Phi- Great place to chill out during the day and then once again is lively at night. when you are there i would try and find a couple of you to privately rent a boat (with driver) and visit Maya bay and other snorkeling areas. We went on a Maya bay tour about 7am in the morning as it is best to get there before boat loads of people arrive. As we were leaving around 8am there were about 300 people turning up on many different boats so i would recommend to get there before the crowds. Check out the Viewpoint on Phi Phi its a bit of a trek up to the viewpoint but definitely worth it once your up there.

They are the 4 islands that i would recommend going to but it really depends on how long you are looking to travel Thailand for.

Im going back to SE Asia this year for 7 weeks. Heres my rough plan of what im going to do this year and if our dates cross maybe we can arrange some meet up or something like that. If you want to add me on Facebook and check out my Thailand photos of last year feel free, Bradley Sharvell (only one on Facebook)

October 29th- November 2nd Bangkok
    Nov 2nd-11th- Cambodia
    11th-14th- Koh Samui
    14th-18th- Full Moon Party
    18th-24th Koh Tao
    24th-30th- Phi Phi
    30th Phuket then Flight to Bangkok
    1st December till 14th -Philippines
    15th December Fly back to London

I hope this helps you out a little more. If you have any other questions then don't hesitate to ask me either on here or Facebook.

#14 Posted: 2/7/2013 - 01:35

• arienneanto-
    nio

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2013

hello im from philippines.. i will travel southeast asia start november 22 2013 in bangkok and head to north thailand > myanmar > laos > cambodia> vietnam
    i have flexible itinerary but might spend 2-3 months traveling :) looking forward to meet nice people on the road.. not sure how we can connect here seems private msg disabled .. my email is arienneantonio(at)yahoo.com

#15 Posted: 17/7/2013 - 13:31

• kelbosch

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2013

Hey!

Im a 25 y/o female from South Africa, travelling solo to Thailand in December 2013.
    I will be going to the Full Moon/ NYE party at Koh Phangan.

Very keen on meeting up with some new people if anyone is on that side of the world! :)

Kelly

#16 Posted: 18/8/2013 - 12:02

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"Police have allegedly failed to arrest suspects in murder cases, includinge fatal shooting of a former kamnan of tambon Koh Phangan. A female foreign tourist has been recently raped. The officers were also accused of getting bribes from some foreign tourists in exchange for not arrestingem for marijuana possession.

The latest case involving Koh Phangan tourists ise disappearance of Daniel Christian Hall, or Danny Hall, a British national who joined a full moon party one southern island on Feb 24."

"The assault occured in the early hours of the morning on 13th April. Claire and Graham were returning from a new year and half moon party on the beach at Haad Rin. They were attacked shortly after passing the 'Drop In Bar'. As they were both beaten unconscious neither can remember much. All they remember directly is that one minute they were walking home and the next they were covered in blood and being driven to the hospital on the back of motorbikes. Graham's whole body is badly bruised and the wounds to his face suggest he had been hit in the face with some sort of weapon. Claire received two bad wounds to her head - the wound on her forhead goes right through to the bone again suggesting that the assailant used a weapon of some sort."

"I went to the full moon party there last April, and I must say I was quite shocked at the whole situation. It is of course a very good time, but it really is just a free-for-all often with serious consequences. There were so many sketchy people there looking to either sell you drugs, take advantage of young women, or rob you. I felt like we had to be on guard the entire night. As far as the police, that level of corruption is like nothing I have seen before. It is public knowledge that you can basically buy your way out of anything.
    Like I said, it is definitely a fun time, but I was ready to get the hell out of there the next morning. We took a ferry over to Koh Tao and relaxed for the next week...much better place to be in my opinion."

"Police are hunting for the person believed responsible for the death of a German woman at the full-moon rave on Ko Pha-ngan at the weekend.

"An investigation suggests she might have been raped and killed," Maj Pissanu Bia-kaew, a Tourist Police inspector, said.

The tourist, in her late 30's and known only as Anstris, was found dead on a beach stripped from the waist up and showing clear bruises on her neck. "

"As I walk through the crowd, shady local Thai men repeatedly offer our hidden cameras illegal drugs such as ecstasy, cocaine, marijuana or speed for just a few dollars. Warning signs all over town make it clear it would be crazy to accept, but all too many foreign kids do and end up in the local jail. Privately, we are told, many of the crook drug dealers are cooperating with corrupt local Thai police who then insist on a huge cash bribe to make the charges go away. It is a grim choice – either pay up or spend years in a Thai prison.But the drugs are not the biggest threat at the Full Moon party; they are perhaps all too often the cause of what happens next. As the crushing crowd imbibes, snorts and inhales a medley of substances, some young couples peel off and start having unprotected sex on the sand in full view of the crowd. Others choose the privacy of the ocean, albeit full of sewage – especially the urine from party-goers too drunk to find a toilet. Distressingly, far too many young women are staggering alone along the beach, or collapsed unconscious on the sand in a scantily clad heap, comatose from too much booze and drugs. All too often they become victims of predatory males, who can take advantage of them in a quiet, dark, corner of the beach.
    Australian girls treated at a Bangkok Hospital told us how their treating doctors lamented how the injury they treat the most from the Full moon party is the rapes of young foreign women, most of them unreported to unsympathetic local police."

#17 Posted: 18/8/2013 - 18:12

• kelbosch

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2013

Hey Leonard

I appreciate the concern. I'm well aware of the dangers involved at these Full Moon Parties. I've done my research too.

I'm from South Africa, I've been attacked (attempted robery) twice in my life. On ordinary days, making my way back home. I survived both these ordeals unharmed AND with all of my possessions. This type of stats are very common in my country, but is does not happen everyday and to every single person.

My point is, I'm well equipped to handle myself and possess the necessary skills to protect myself. Also, I'm not the type of person to live in fear of what COULD happen. Quite a few of my friends have been to this party and left unharmed, so have millions of other tourists...

Just letting you know that I'm not going into this blindly, I'm prepared. Thanx for the information, though! :)

#18 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 06:44

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

The thing is though you can go to a beach party anywhere and get drunk. Flying all the way to Thailand to do that isn't worth it.

#19 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 07:03

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"The thing is though you can go to a beach party anywhere and get drunk."

Probably not if you live in a landlocked country.

"Flying all the way to Thailand to do that isn't worth it."

That's your opinion, it's not the opinion of the millions of people who do go there every year to experience the FMP.

#20 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 07:40

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Are you sure there are millions who go there? 10,000 a month is 120,000 and judging by some of the reviews they aren't all big fans. Thailand attracts about 15 mill tourists a year so less than 1% are going to FMPs.

So it ain't that popular.

#21 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 08:33

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"Probably not if you live in a landlocked country."

People in landlocked countries can go to a lake or river and do the same thing if they wish. Not sure why you'd spend $1000 on a place ticket to put yourself in front of rapists, murderers and corrupt cops to exploit you. Not to mention the money is funding the local mafia.

#22 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 08:36

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Well if it's not millions it's certainly tens of thousands.

My main point was that it's all about individual tastes and preferences. Sometimes when you are giving advice you seem to dismiss any view that you don't share. It's clear you don't like it but maybe for a person in their early 20s from a cold North Western European climate, the idea of partying on a tropical beach is their idea of paradise.

For what it's worth I was at a beach party in the Perhentian Islands in Malaysia quite a few years ago and it was brilliant. Very cheap buckets of rum, a great atmosphere and there seemd to be none of the unsavoury incidents that sometimes ruin the FMPs in Thailand.

#23 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 08:39

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Just posting some facts about the FMP. If people want to go that's there business but some relevant facts can save someone from being attacked or killed. I bet the hundreds of women who have been raped at these things over the years wished someone warned them about the dangers.

Plenty of foolish backpackers get themselves into trouble overseas be it the FMPs, river tubing or whatever.

"the idea of partying on a tropical beach is their idea of paradise"

Well yes and Thailand has many islands where you can enjoy a beer, nice food or some nice views on an island.

#24 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 08:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If people go with their eyes wide open and knowledge of the facts and risks - hey, have at it. That's what freedom is all about. Like Leonard, I don't get. I'll never get it. Drinking and acting like an idiot surrounded by others doing the same is not what I call a party. But for some people obviously it is.

#25 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 08:51

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"I bet the hundreds of women who have been raped at these things over the years wished someone warned them about the dangers."

I would hazard a guess that a lot of them knew about the potential dangers but decided it was the worth the risk.

"Drinking and acting like an idiot surrounded by others doing the same is not what I call a party."

Where I'm from that's called a Saturday night.

#26 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 08:53

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Nothing wrong with wanting to have fun but FMPs aren't regulated like normal clubs, bars and music festivals that westerners go to. The risk of danger is far higher and people should be told the risks up front. After that it's up to them.

#27 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 08:59

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Where I'm from that's called a Saturday night."

You realize you are confirming a stereotype here.

#28 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 09:02

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"I would hazard a guess that a lot of them knew about the potential dangers but decided it was the worth the risk."

Not sure. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. I bet they regret it now. I wonder what they say to their families and friends about their holiday that included a drink spiking, robbery and rape? Rather bad thing to carry around.

Maybe when you have a daughter China your views will be a bit more conservative.

#29 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 09:02

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"You realize you are confirming a stereotype here."

Probably. But it isn't an entirely unwarranted sterotype if I'm being honest.

#30 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 09:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Maybe when you have a daughter China your views will be a bit more conservative."

My son doesn't want to go fortunately, and when my daughter is of age she ain't going.

#31 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 09:07

• kelbosch

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2013

Each to their own!

You and Leonard have the right to your opinions, what Chinarocks and I are trying to say is that we have our own ideas of fun and have the right to our own decisions.

And saying that, whoever said that I will be drinking and acting like a fool?

On Leonard's comment of "Flying all the way to Thailand to do that just isn't worth it." Well that's for me to decide isn't?

The FMP will be one of my stops while there, not my whole trip. And even if it was... it's MY vacation, MY money, MY decision, MY plans.

I appreciate the warnings, but take into consideration that I too have been doing my research. ..

#32 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 09:11

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

So you're going to the FMP to stay sober and watch others act like fools?

#33 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 09:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"...what Chinarocks and I are trying to say is that we have our own ideas of fun and have the right to our own decisions."

Absolutely. You know the deal, you're an adult.

"And saying that, whoever said that I will be drinking and acting like a fool?"

It's kind of the only thing people do there - well that and fornicate. The fornication part is good.

"On Leonard's comment of "Flying all the way to Thailand to do that just isn't worth it." Well that's for me to decide isn't?"

Yep. I agree with Leonard. But it is for you to decide.

"The FMP will be one of my stops while there, not my whole trip. And even if it was... it's MY vacation, MY money, MY decision, MY plans."

Bingo.

#34 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 09:27

• kelbosch

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2013

You can have plenty of fun without being inebriated! I don't have to drink to have a good time. I'm going for the experience, to meet new people and bring in the new year at place that I've always wanted to visit.

#35 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 09:35

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

The other people will be mostly off their faces. That's what people do at these things.

#36 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 09:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"You can have plenty of fun without being inebriated! I don't have to drink to have a good time. I'm going for the experience, to meet new people and bring in the new year at place that I've always wanted to visit."

Kelbosch that was funny man. You crack me up. This is like going to a crack house but you're not going to get high. Just go for the experience.

#37 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 11:06

• kelbosch

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2013

Madmac, you don't know anything about me. Keep your ASSumptions about me to yourself.

Why would it be so hard to believe that someone would go for the experience, I love people, I love music, I love to dance... I'm a health professional and part time dancer. I go to parties all the time without getting drunk or high. The fact that you cant believe this says a lot about YOU & YOUR LIFESTYLE!

I don't need to defend my reasons for going to complete strangers.

This conversation is over!

#38 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 12:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Kelbosch
    "Madmac, you don't know anything about me. Keep your ASSumptions about me to yourself."

I didn't make any assumptions about you specifically.

"Why would it be so hard to believe that someone would go for the experience, I love people, I love music, I love to dance... I'm a health professional and part time dancer. I go to parties all the time without getting drunk or high. The fact that you cant believe this says a lot about YOU & YOUR LIFESTYLE!"

I can believe everything you wrote - but the Full Moon party isn't about great music or dancing (go to La Rueda in Bangkok if you want good dancing)... it's about drinking on a beach with a ton of other inebriated westerners. Have you seen the videos or talked with other travelfishers who have been? So of course you can go to parties without getting high or drunk. You can even go to the Full Moon Party without getting high or drunk. But AGAIN, this is like going to a crack house and not getting high. Seriously, who goes to a crack house for the "experience"???

"I don't need to defend my reasons for going to complete strangers."

Nope. You don't. You can do what you want. I think I made that clear earlier when I specified you are completely free to do what you want. You don't need to defend it to me or anyone else. But most people who post here who have been do not give it very good reviews. That's what people here are trying to communicate to you. Obviously some people do like it, just as some like Khao San Road. We're just saying that the legend of this event significantly exceeds the reality and that it's time and money that could probably be better spent. But as you pointed out - it's your time, it's your money. Maybe you'll be one of those people who enjoys it.

#39 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 13:07

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Good luck then. Come back in Jan and tell us how "amazing" it was.

#40 Posted: 19/8/2013 - 18:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

How did this post come to the top again? Leanards last post was two years ago. Strange.

#41 Posted: 17/7/2014 - 11:24

• karibou

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2013

I do. He was incredibly helpful during my solo trip through Thailand.

#42 Posted: 17/7/2014 - 18:12

• kelbosch

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2013

Madmac & Leonard, my trip was in fact absolutely amazing!!

From the FMP to snorkeling, to visits at Temples.

I appreciate the advice, but glad I got to experience it!

Safe travels! :)

#43 Posted: 19/7/2014 - 07:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
First time travelling and going solo ... By Prairie_Matt on 19 May 2014 5 997 24 May 2014
Travelling SE Asia Solo (first time traveler) advice please :) ... By chris9393 on 17 Apr 2014 41 1924 25 Apr 2014
24/F Travelling solo to Thailand 27 July-17 Aug! ... By sarahdawn167 on 25 Jul 2012 5 835 26 Jul 2012
Solo Male travelling to Thailand ... By srikban on 25 Jan 2012 1 1633 28 Jan 2012
19/F, Travelling solo, Thailand December ... By beccus on 4 Dec 2011 2 1139 6 Dec 2011
30/F travelling solo singapore-K.L.,Malaysia, Thailand End Jan-Feb. ... By twink2010 on 29 Dec 2011 9 1532 22 Jan 2012
First time travelling to Thailand tomorrow....anything else I should have done? ... By jeffkenna on 20 Jun 2012 9 2367 26 Jun 2012
24/M/ UK Travelling solo mid july --> thailand, laos, cambodia ... By Jduncan123 on 7 May 2012 7 1548 13 May 2012
Travelling Solo Thailand 25th Sept -> 7Oct '13 ... By Irfaan_ZA on 10 Sep 2013 0 575 10 Sep 2013
36 Male solo, travelling to Thailand 9-30th October ... By Simon1974 on 12 Jul 2011 0 1716 12 Jul 2011