Companions forum

where to find travel companions

• smilenbean

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2009

I am traveling to SE Asia around Aug 2009 and plan to travel for 6 months. I have been planning this trip for a long time. I don't have a travel partner to go with, none of my friends are able to travel that long. I am female and would rather not travel alone. I am trying to find a website or forum to find other travelers looking for people to travel with. I found a couple of sites, but they seem more like a couple matching site for travelers. If anyone knows of how to find other travelers it would be great to get this information.

#1 Posted: 23/2/2009 - 04:59

• Advertisement

• Soundvision

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2009

I'm in the same situation you are. I've probably scoured the net for every Thai forum known and a site simply dedicated to finding other travelers doesn't seem to exist. From what I can tell, simply going to sites like this and others and making posts like yourself is the best way to find travelers. Couchsurfing.com's message boards have lots of people too looking for other travelers to spend time with.

If you're interested, I'll be in Thailand for a limited time during your excursion. I'm heading there end of June and coming back early September. I have a rough idea of what I want to do but plan on being more spontaneous and meeting other people to tag along with. If you'd like to chat and talk about your trip feel free to email me. I'd love to talk to some other travelers and maybe even find some people online before I go to travel with.

Hit me up, j.taylor@mac.com

#2 Posted: 25/2/2009 - 02:39

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ask and ye shall receive -- I've moved this thread to the new "Travel companions" section of the messageboard -- feel free to post new messages with more details if you want.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 25/2/2009 - 08:06

• chatz

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2009
    Location Ireland

Hi Smilenbean

Me and a friend of mine are traveling to thailand in early september, we're also traveling through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. The idea of traveling alone can be a bit scary but sometimes it just has to be that way. The name is seanan by the way and my friends name is una, look me up on facebook if interested and wana get in touch.

#4 Posted: 26/4/2009 - 08:15

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hi Smilenbean

Im travelling from sept-dec from china to vietnam, cambodia and laos. As far as timing goes i should be in vietnam around october, cambodia/loas after that...

Im also travelling alone, i have a few concerns but its either go alone or dont go! if i were female i'd probably be more anxious although i do know someone who went to loas for 4 weeks alone and she was fine

anyway, if you think our trips might coincide i'd be happy to do abit of travelling with someone so let me know

#5 Posted: 26/4/2009 - 21:11

• cibrian

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2009
    Location Singapore

I'm too am planning for a month long backpacking trip to Thailand and currently am a bit lost as this will be my first. Hopefully i can find a travel companion because i like the company. will be flying out from s'pore around start dec.

#6 Posted: 9/5/2009 - 20:58

• BazzRose

Joined Travelfish
    17th May, 2009

Me (and hopefully a friend) will be travelling around SE Asia in Sept through to Early Nov. Looking to arrive in Bangkok on 1st Sept and from there heading off to Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam. (Not sure what timescale or direction as of yet - may go with the flow) and hoping to end up in Phuket for final few weeks to chill out. From then on to Bali & Lombok. At least that is the plan!

So if anyone in that area around the time and want a travel buddy or two, or if someone done that trip already and got any hints, feel free to contact me via email -

shytalk1979@hotmail.co.uk

I'm 30yr old male from UK.

#7 Posted: 17/5/2009 - 20:45

• binky27

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009

Hello all,

I will be traveling through SE Asia from September to December 2009. I will start in Vietnam and make my way to Yunnan, China and then to Northern Laos and Thailand and ending up in Southern Thailand.

I would love to find a travel partner for some of my trip. Are any of your paths going to cross with mine?

#8 Posted: 5/6/2009 - 01:39

• whichwai

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2009

Hi I'm a female solo traveller...
    I'm travelling through Se Asia from July for approx 3months or more..
    My itinery is so far looking like this:
    Bangkok-Cambodia-(maybe Vietnam)-Laos-Thailand-Malaysia-Singapore-Indonisia
    I will be in Bangkok 9th july heading out to Siem Reap 13th July. Apart from these dates my itinery is flexible.

If anyone is interested in joining me on any part of this trip, would be great to meet up.. drop me a mail on lee_wai_wai@hotmail.com

#9 Posted: 5/7/2009 - 01:42

• nat_c

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2009

I will be in BKK in Aug 6 and I have a plan of visiting siem-reap and vientine [or somewhere else within thailand/laos/cambodia]. I will be ther till Aug 19. Let me know you dates and interest, I could join part of your journey.

#10 Posted: 15/7/2009 - 20:28

• Advertisement

• andwhat

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2009

hi andrew here 28yr old carpenter on a sabbatical and just got in to bkk on the 13th aug looking to travel se asia for 12 weeks so wanted to see if there is anyone else in the same boat and fancied hooking up somewhere/not really looking to party but like my trip nothings set in stone! drop me a message on hre or at andyb123@rocketmail.com adios peace and regards and

#11 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 11:23

• butterfli

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2009
    Location Australia

Hi !!
    I'm a 29 yr old Aussie female... travelling to thailand and Laos in dec/jan. Will be travelling alone from the 27th dec onwards and would like to possibly meet up with fellow travellers. My plans so far ? FMP for new years. Would also like to take the slow boat. Dont have anything set in stone as I would prefer to wing it and see how it pans out :) After all thats what a travelling adventure is all about ! Would be great to hear from like minded people, anyone who will be heading to the full moon party for new years especially as this will be the start of my solo travel. Look forward to hearing from you :D

#12 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 04:04

• Ingrids

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2009

I`m brazilian and I`m going to Bangkok Oct.25. and after (3 or 4 days) Cambodia and maybe Vietnam.
    Somebody will be there in this period??

#13 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 13:05

• PDX2BKK

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2009

Hello everyone, I am a 24 yr old man from Portland Oregon, I am going to be trekking solo across se Asia from October till mid January, I'm travelling clockwise around the region starting from Chiang Mai then going through Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back to Bangkok. I'm not looking for a travel buddy today but soon I will be, it is great to see that there are so many of us. I will definitely post here when I am looking for a companion in the near future.

#14 Posted: 29/9/2009 - 15:18

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

Butterfli, I am also heading over for the Full Moon party, although I should be there by 22 Dec. I'll stay in touch and let you know what the buildup feels like. Closer to the time, maybe we can form a Full Moon group to meet up there. That night is the one where I won't feel like wandering the beach alone. Its gonna be a blast!

#15 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 01:53

• cotovio22

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2009

Ingrids,

Sou portugues e vou dia 5 de outubro para Bangkok e depois vou descer até Krabi até dia 13. Vou sozinho.

Um abraço,

Ricardo

#16 Posted: 4/10/2009 - 05:27

• Ingrids

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2009

Oi Ricardo,

Eu vou sair daqui somente dia 25/10 e pelo que vi tu ja vais ter ido embora, se vais dia 13/10! Uma pena.
    Abraco,
    Ingrid

#17 Posted: 4/10/2009 - 08:15

• rachael27

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2009

binki27,

hey im a solo traveller too, 27yo aussie chick, i not planning on heading thailand til start of nov... will you be around then, i dont have a specific place i wanna go first, im really just wingin it, hate the thought of doin it alone though...

#18 Posted: 5/10/2009 - 16:45

• ANESTAZZ

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2009

hello! 31 yr old american female. looking to meet fellow travelers in Thailand (phuket, krabi, bkk, open to other places) i will be traveling around the end of November through mid-december 2009. please email if you are interested in meeting someone new and sharing ideas. alyciarosefleming@gmail.com thanks.
    Alycia

#19 Posted: 4/11/2009 - 15:58

• billteacher

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2009

hey guys

i'm currently teaching English in South Korea and my contract will be done end of this month (November). I'm going to be going through China (Beijing, Shanghai, HK) for a couple weeks but I think I should be in Bangkok on Dec 6. I'm not exactly sure what my itinerary is from there but I'm thinking of doing the North of Thailand, then going clockwise through Laos and Cambodia and back to BKK. Then I'm going to head south to the Beaches. I'm not sure if I'll make it to the new years FMP but if I miss this one I'll go for the Jan 30 one.

If anybody has a similar itinerary or wants to hang out for any leg of the trip you can e-mail me at billngu@yahoo.com

happy backpackin!

#20 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 13:33

• GILBERTOR

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2009

I am 60 year old british solo traveller from uk.arriving in singapore on new year day 2010.I am hoping to leave Singapore for northern Thailand for a few days and later to the southern Islands/beaches .
    Any solo travellers for company?

Flexible and accomodating but adventurous health care professional
    Gilberto

#21 Posted: 17/11/2009 - 17:00

• moazgirl

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2009
    Location United States

Hi there! Is anyone looking to do a trip to Asia, but doesn’t want to travel by themselves??? If so, I’m your girl then! I am leaving Sydney on Dec. 11th and heading to Bali and from there the journey is a big ???? I am hoping to go for anywhere from 1 to 5 months. I am roughly planning to go from Bali, fly to Singapore, then head north through Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos. I am hoping to be in the Thai islands for Xmas/NYE area:)

I am a well travelled 31 year old American (don’t let the age scare the younger crowd, as I tend to act/look younger than I am). I am a fairly confident traveller, but as a very Western looking women, think it would be an advantage to travel with others rather than by myself. Not to mention, it is always nice to have someone to share your journey and experiences with. I am very outgoing and easy going, and looking for the same in my travel companions. I don’t care if you are male or female or where you are from (well, as long as you speak English). I do like to have fun, so if you are all serious and sightseeing is your only concern....we probably won’t get on. I want to see, experience, learn, relax, and have a bloody good time doing it!

Obviously I am aware that people may only do a portion of this journey and not the whole thing, so if that is the case, still write me and we may be able to meet up to do a portion of this journey together. Looking forward to meeting new friendly faces. I would preferably like to meet up before I go, but I am flexible! I am located in Sydney til I leave...

Karen

#22 Posted: 24/11/2009 - 16:05

• shadek

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009

Oi Ingrid

Eu sou brasileira tb e estou planejando ir para aAsia em fevereiro 2010, estou em Praga na Rep. Tcheca, queria trocar umas informacoes com voce. Responde ao post que eu te coloco meu email, por favor, estou indo sozinha pela primeira vez e meio receosa.

Abracos,
    Sani

#23 Posted: 6/12/2009 - 03:02

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

Is anyone still checking this thread? I'm on Samui at the moment, had a good Christmas and spending boxing day at The Beach Repuplic in Lamai. Still thinking about Full Moon, should I stay or should I go now? It getting to a point where lodging could be difficult to find.

#24 Posted: 26/12/2009 - 11:08

• Ingrids

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2009

Oi Sani! Desculpa responder so agora, mas estava viajando e so agora eu voltei! Me manda teu e-mail que eu te escrevo e ja ficas com o meu. Posso te dar umas boas dicas se tu me disseres o que pretendes (quanto tempo, onde chega teu voo e sai, onde pretendes ir...)!
    Fico esperando.
    Beijos

#25 Posted: 26/12/2009 - 23:57

• shadek

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009

Oi Ingrid,

Pode me escrever no sabrinahadek@hotmail.com

Ja to com a passagem comprada, fico por 6 semanas, chego meio de fevereiro em Bangkok. A ideia eh ir para o Norte, depois descer para as praias, voltar a BKK e de la cruzar overland para o Cambodia e HCC.

Vou ficar esperando teu email!
    Abracos e valeu!
    Sani

#26 Posted: 29/12/2009 - 22:08

• zingiber

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2010

I just back from Cambodia for X'mas, and would plan to go back summer/autumn/winter 2010, anyone got plans, just be in contact with me. 27ling@gmail.com

#27 Posted: 3/1/2010 - 23:06

• darraghg06

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2010

travelling to thailand in june. staying for about 7 weeks. i'm going alone. would'nt mind meeting up with other people while im there. it's my first time going as well. get in contact with me sure if your interested. cheers

#28 Posted: 13/2/2010 - 19:03

• jwally29

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2010

All in it together,

I'm planing on being in Thailand in early June, but am pretty flexible. I am hoping to meet up with some folks and share the grand adventure with others. I'm up in the air right now as to plans. All I know is that I want to go and thats about it.
    I'm hoping to get as muck in as I can in 2 weeks and welcome any advice or people wanting to meet up. Like I said I have no plans once I get there, so I open to any and all ideas.
    I'm a 29yo male from the US currently working in the Middle East/Asia area (won't get too specific)as a Hydro Geologist. Got a couple week break and want to make the most of it while I'm out here.
    Hit me up at jwally8880@yahoo.com if your game.

Jonathan

#29 Posted: 4/3/2010 - 21:52

• jwally29

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2010

All in it together,

I'm planing on being in Thailand in early June, but am pretty flexible. I am hoping to meet up with some folks and share the grand adventure with others. I'm up in the air right now as to plans. All I know is that I want to go and thats about it.
    I'm hoping to get as muck in as I can in 2 weeks and welcome any advice or people wanting to meet up. Like I said I have no plans once I get there, so I open to any and all ideas.
    I'm a 29yo male from the US currently working in the Middle East/Asia area (won't get too specific)as a Hydro Geologist. Got a couple week break and want to make the most of it while I'm out here.
    Hit me up at jwally8880@yahoo.com if your game.

Jonathan

#30 Posted: 4/3/2010 - 22:13

• DavidSeattle

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2004

Hello there I am landing in HCMC on August 3 and plan to spend a few days there. My trip runs about one month and would like to join up with some fellow travelers to go west to Bkk or north through Vietnam to NaNoi. Then to Vietienne for a few days. After HCMC all else is flexible. I am a U.S. Male and am a fun loving person and easy going. I am there to travel and investigate business opportunities. I have been to Bkk a few years ago. The direction of this trip is my compass of spontaneity.
    Contact me if you plan to be in HCMC in early August.
    djcurtin98104@yahoo.com

davidseattle

#31 Posted: 26/4/2010 - 10:50

• Deb777

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2010

I may be going to Thailand in June, my first time there. It seems like all the flights get into Bangkok around 11pm. Are there many nice hotels that are close to the Bangkok airport? Would it even be safe for me to get in a taxi that late at night alone? (woman traveling solo)Also, what means of transportation would be the most comfortable and easiest to get from the Bangkok hotel to Pattaya the next day? Thanks for any information!

#32 Posted: 9/5/2010 - 10:28

• DavidSeattle

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2004

I may be going to Thailand in June, my first time there. It seems like all the flights get into Bangkok around 11pm. Are there many nice hotels that are close to the Bangkok airport?
    "Go to Hostelbookers.com and you can find a hostel close by the Airport."
    "Also,you should be able to find bus info from the Airport to the Khaosan Rd. Hostel area at the tourist Desk or surfing the different hostel sites on the H.Bookers site. Google Bkk Bus to Khaosan Rd."
    Would it even be safe for me to get in a taxi that late at night alone?
    "I caanot answer for safety, but you will not be alone looking for taxis or buses. You will find someone. Just keep asking backpackers how to get whereever." (woman traveling solo)Also, what means of transportation would be the most comfortable and easiest to get from the Bangkok hotel to Pattaya the next day? "Train"
    Thanks for any information!

Best regards
    David Curtin
    Seattle,Wa. U.S.A.
    djcurtin98104@hotmail.com

#33 Posted: 10/5/2010 - 09:12

• bakpakk

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2010
    Location Cameroon

I'll be in Bangkok from late May through the first weeks of June. I'll be staying at Khao san road so if anyone wants to get together, let me know.

During the 1st or 2nd week of June, I'll also be heading to Siem Reap by land, from Bangkok and hopefully making my way to the southern beaches and then back up to Phnom Penh. If anyone is undertaking a similar journey from Bangkok to Cambodia and he or she is looking for a travel companion, also let me know. My e-mail add is nwelang@hotmail.com

Best regards,
    Bakpakk

#34 Posted: 10/5/2010 - 10:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How to Find Travel Companions ... By Starving_Sound on 5 Mar 2013 20 3302 12 Mar 2013