Companions forum

Lonely in Paradise!! (currently on Koh Samui travelling Thailand, Malaysia, Oz & South Africa)

• jenny_wicke-
    tt

Joined Travelfish
    29th May, 2009

I’ve been in Thailand for over 3 weeks now and the only peeps I have met were on 2 week holidays or not actually travelling (eg working there or at the end of travels!).
    I’m starting to feel really down, been out on my own a few times but feeling really sad eating and drinking alone. I’ve been up to peeps and had a chat, given out my number and even tried to arrange meet ups on here but nothing seems to come right. Is it me!!!?
    So many people tell me how easy it is to meet other travellers but I feel like the first person to be an exception to that rule. Its really upsetting me! Am I the only one?
    Are there any nice people out there who wouldn’t mind me joining them? I’m currently on Kho Samui wondering weather to bugger off to Chiang Mai or try my luck in the crazy hedonistic island of Koh Phangan? I’m not overly into getting shit faced any more but I do like a drink. Was hoping that I would meet peeps B4 so that I would have some guys to party with but I’m hoping it would be easy to meet nice peeps while I’m there???? Any comforting advice out there? Anyone else been through simular? Anyone around who fancies some company? I’m not a crazy (well only when it helps lol), just a bit shy when it comes to meeting new people. Also on facebook Jenny-Louise Wickett in the Midlands group.
    Or can catch me on Gapyear.com under Lolas_smile
    :)

#1 Posted: 29/5/2009 - 18:42

• Advertisement

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hi Jenny,

Sorry to hear you are not having a good time - i had a similar experience in South America some years ago. I was travelling with friends and we then went off in different directions due to time contraints... anyway after a few days of feeling down and lonely, i realised that i was on a great trip... and focussed on that instead of being on my own. I took time to really reflect on things, and investigate everything that was around me. In doing this i realised alot about myself, and also that i was in an amazing country (Peru)... and who needed people?

Sure it's good to talk to people, which it sounds like you are getting to do, but do you really want to have to follow someone else around to have fun? What if you ended up tagging along with someone, only to realise you couldn't get away? ... a right pain that is trust me!

Just kick back, enjoy everything Thailand has to offer - getting out of your comfort zone a little may help... don't worry too much about things... it could be worse... you could be back in blighty stuck beind a desk... oh no ... that's me :-)

#2 Posted: 30/5/2009 - 00:37

• khunger

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hey Jenny!

Vineet from India here - been backpacking solo around Cambodia and Vietnam for the last 20 days, and landing in Thailand on 1 June, and heading off to Ko Tao / Ko Pha Ngan . I'm planning on doing a dive course on Ko Tao first and then 3-4 days on Ko Pha Ngan - maybe go for the FMP if I meet some fun people beforehand, otherwise just chill out on Haad Yao or something. Will get there and figure. So far, I've just been meeting fellow travelers along the way and had quite a fun trip.

If you're planning on being in either of KPN or Ko tao around Jun 2-8, drop me a line at khunger at gmail dot com, and we could catch up for a beer!

#3 Posted: 30/5/2009 - 12:44

• Skimonkey

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

Hi Jenny

I'm starting my 3rd week in Thailand, Currently in Chang Mai, met some great people so far from all over the world. But on my tod today it's fab how quickly things can change. I got here last night sun 31st May, and went to the night market, which was fantastic so far I've been on my own and as chrispyrolls says just loose yourself in the local atmosphere for a few hours and you'll soon find your in a much better mood. I've added you as a friend on Facebook (assuming I have found the right person) I'm the one with red hair and tiger make-up. Drop me a line if your still feeling low.

take it easy.

#4 Posted: 1/6/2009 - 14:41

• anorris5

Joined Travelfish
    2nd June, 2009

Hey Jenny! I'll be out there in two weeks myself & was wondering what your next plans were. You end up finding any travel companions?

Hit me up at atrinity55@yahoo.com if you're gonna be traveling around the mainland (i.e. if you're planning on leaving the thai islands)

-Alyssa

#5 Posted: 14/6/2009 - 09:09

• andwhat

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2009

hi jenny let me know if your still out in se asia somewhere i to could do with a travel companion im in bangkok now but wanting/ going to move on very soon drop back on this or my email andyb123@rocketmail.com don't be too down :-) andrew

#6 Posted: 14/8/2009 - 11:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Multi-passport travelling (Irish + South Africa) ... By jemjems on 24 Nov 2011 0 1144 24 Nov 2011
South Africa to Bangkok ... By greenman42 on 17 Dec 2009 4 2089 23 Dec 2009
Recommended itinerary for SEA from South Africa for 4 weeks over Dec 2013/Jan 2014 ... By claireshean87 on 23 Feb 2013 2 1536 2 Jul 2013
Travelling South of Thailand ... By JulesNunes on 13 Jul 2009 6 1573 14 Jul 2009
Help on travelling thailand - malaysia ... By elainemc on 17 Apr 2010 3 1147 17 Apr 2010
South Thailand to East Coast Malaysia - any other ideas? ... By goodquestion on 28 Mar 2008 0 2096 28 Mar 2008
Travelling the Nam Ou - Lonely Planet is again wrong! ... By brucemoon on 27 Apr 2009 18 8258 27 Aug 2009
Travelling Thailand (Bangkok/Chang Mai/Koh Samui) July 5 - 20th ... By nikesh_123 on 5 Jun 2013 2 716 9 Jun 2013
30/F travelling solo singapore-K.L.,Malaysia, Thailand End Jan-Feb. ... By twink2010 on 29 Dec 2011 9 1492 22 Jan 2012
Looking for a paradise around Samui and surrounding islands... ... By chaimdan on 12 Jun 2007 3 1730 14 Jun 2007