Companions forum

SE Asia Travel Friends for mid Dec-March or more: Must be fun!

• moazgirl

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2009
    Location United States

Hi there! Is anyone looking to do a trip to Asia, but doesn’t want to travel by themselves??? If so, I’m your girl then! I am leaving Sydney on Dec. 11th and heading to Bali and from there the journey is a big ???? I am hoping to go for anywhere from 1 to 5 months. I am roughly planning to go from Bali, fly to Singapore, then head north through Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos. I am hoping to be in the Thai islands for Xmas/NYE area:)

I am a well travelled 31 year old American (don’t let the age scare the younger crowd, as I tend to act/look younger than I am). I am a fairly confident traveller, but as a very Western looking women, think it would be an advantage to travel with others rather than by myself. Not to mention, it is always nice to have someone to share your journey and experiences with. I am very outgoing and easy going, and looking for the same in my travel companions. I don’t care if you are male or female or where you are from (well, as long as you speak English). I do like to have fun, so if you are all serious and sightseeing is your only concern....we probably won’t get on. I want to see, experience, learn, relax, and have a bloody good time doing it!

Obviously I am aware that people may only do a portion of this journey and not the whole thing, so if that is the case, still write me and we may be able to meet up to do a portion of this journey together. Looking forward to meeting new friendly faces. I would preferably like to meet up before I go, but I am flexible! I am located in Sydney til I leave...

Karen

#1 Posted: 24/11/2009 - 16:09

• Advertisement

• Johng

Click here to learn more about Johng
    Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

hi Karen, great informative post! I am sort of doing the opposite of you, i.e Thailand to Singapore, in December. A similar age and I think outlook. I will be more specific once I have got myself to BKK, (9th December) as at the moment sitting in the chaos of the office in UK doesn;t lend itself to travel thinking :)
    I hope our paths cross

John , 35, UK
    shout if you want my email.

#2 Posted: 24/11/2009 - 21:22

• moazgirl

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2009
    Location United States

Hey John,

How are you? Are you counting down the days til your holiday like I am? Also, trying to cram a ton of preparation into my schedule as well, but not doing so well with that. I figure that there may be several paths crossing more than someone following my itinerary, but I suppose any friendly faces along the way make for a good time:) My itinerary is pretty loose at this time, with the only for sure thing being the day I fly into and out of Bali which is Dec 11-17. From there I fly to Singapore and the rest of my plans are up in the air. I was thinking to spend Xmas in Penang maybe??? and then NYE in Thai islands, but not sure if both places are going to be too crazy and overbooked. Do you have a rough outline where you will be and when? How long are you travelling for? Anyway, I am more than happy to exchange emails if you like. Send me yours if you like:) Look forward to hearing more.

Karen
    US girl Down Under:)

#3 Posted: 25/11/2009 - 09:12

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

I'm a 31 year old South African, also young looking and at heart, and will probably be travelling alone. I'm arriving in Bangkok on the 17, and want to make my east for a few days, Koh Chang and Koh Samet, before heading South for Christmas and new years on Koh Panghan. I'll be ending up on Koh Tao for some diving courses and plan to stay there for a couple of months. Not booking too much as I want freedom of movement once I'm there. Been to Thailand once before, and loved it. For three years its been my plan to return, so yes its count down the days time, 23 to go, woohoo! If this sounds like what you want to do, maybe we can meet somewhere along the way, or you can look for me at the New Years Full Moon Party, I'll be the drunk one singing on the beach, with my hair on fire!

#4 Posted: 25/11/2009 - 11:59

• moazgirl

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2009
    Location United States

Hey Mr Greenman42...thanks for the post. I will def be in Koh Phanang for the full moon party and beyond that not really sure of my plans either. I am keeping my schedule flexible, as to allow for any fun people I meet and possibly want to travel with. Sounds like you might be a distinguishable character at full moon-look forward to your singing;)Keep in touch and hopefully we can share a drink together in Thailand!

#5 Posted: 25/11/2009 - 16:18

• Johng

Click here to learn more about Johng
    Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

hey Karen :) I am ok thanks, and you?
    I am counting the days but feeling like I could do a lot more planning than I am! I seem to have gone into Zombie mode and also am busy with work.. I dont think I will feel like I am going until I arrive :)

I am completley flexible so far, but wondering about the Malaysian question... I am arriving in Bkk 9th December, and leaving S'pore 6th Jan.. do I stay in Thailand the whole time (visit Laos maybe) and fly to S'pore, or track down through Malaysia during the last week or two... not sure on that.. after S'pore it's oz, New Zealand and Fiji.. but I am already thinking I should have more time in SEA, I am only scratching the surface. Saying all that, there is a good chance I could be in Penang when you are!
    J

#6 Posted: 25/11/2009 - 16:42

• andrew82

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2009

Mooorning,

Xmas in Penang ? is anything exciting happening over there?

I'm dropping into KL from France on the 12th December. I'm actually heading straight to Penang as my grannny is there and i haven't seen her for yeeeaaars.

Anyway, i'm not really sure what i'm doing..I'm going to spend a few days with her then head of into thailand, maybe try get to Laos and Cambodia. I have a friend in Phrae, so i'm heading for the Chiang Mai/ Rai area.

Apart from that, no other plans... Where do you guys recommend I spend xmas and new year?

Andrew

#7 Posted: 25/11/2009 - 16:56

• JesseNYC

Joined Travelfish
    27th November, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Seems like a few of you on this thread will be in Koh Phangan for NYE. Me and a buddy will be there from 12/29 to 1/3. After that we'll be going to Koh Tao for 5 days.

Let me know if you'd like to meet up in either of these places.

Best,

Jesse

#8 Posted: 4/12/2009 - 22:33

• alexandra28

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2009

Hi Everyone!

I'm a 27 year-old Canadian female currently working in S. Korea. I plan on travelling for 4-6 months when my contract is finished. Flying into Phnom Pehn around Feb. 8th. No set plans, but I want to do Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Malayasia, Singapore, maybe Indonesia. I am pretty flexible. I've been to Vietnam already, so skipping it. Anyone interested in meeting up at some point??

Alexandra

#9 Posted: 15/12/2009 - 17:22

• Deuce232

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2010

I'm a 27 year old American guy on his first real backpacking tour. I'm traveling with a friend until the last week of january. After that i have decisions to make. We head to Chang Mai on the 6th of Jan and plan to head to Laos from there. His trip ends in KL in early feb so we intend to head south from laos (by way of cambodia) and back into southern Thailand in time for him to get back. So thats me. I'm always keen to meet people or exchange info and experience. Drop me a line at deuce232@yahoo.com or reply here. -Clint

#10 Posted: 4/1/2010 - 14:57

• Advertisement

• angseig

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2010

Alexandra - Annyeong! I'm also working in South Korea and my contract is up in 2 months. Travel buddies desired, have some set plans but the rest is in the air. It's too bad I'm late on reading the posts because I spent New Years in Koh Lanta.

What I DO know: Bali with a friend on March 15th. She leaves after a week but I'm thinking about going to Sulawesi for a few nights, then possibly meeting a friend in India around March 28th.

April (10th-25th): Maybe do Siam Reap and Hoi An (already did HCMC & Hanoi) before going back to Thailand. Very open on Thailand itinerary (have done Bangkok and Koh Lanta).

Oh I'm a 30-year-old American girl who is young at heart... have traveled solo before but always fun to meet up and make new friends!

#11 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 19:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel companions, SE Asia, March - May ... By magella82 on 17 Feb 2010 8 2249 7 Apr 2010
27/F Aussie starting travels in March. Keen to see all of SE Asia. Looking for female travel buddy. ... By lisab2012 on 22 Jan 2012 19 1591 8 Feb 2012