Companions forum

Solo traveller - first time in March. Any companions?

• SpenceH

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hey all,
    I know its been posted and posted and posted (so I thought id post again)

travelling to SE Asia for the first time on 15th March. Its only for 7 weeks but planning on...

Arriving in Bkk, Onto Cambodia, Then Vietnam, Then Laos and back to Thailand to see the last few parts before I head back to UK

I'm a 27 year old male and although VERY excited about the trip, i'm also VERY VERY nervous.. and a tiny bit scared lol..

Anyone travelling around the same time and doing it solo?

Spencer

#1 Posted: 28/2/2010 - 04:05

• Advertisement

• bails87

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2010

Sorry, it's not quite what you wanted, but I'm going to be in a similar situation later on in the year, would be interested to see what kind of responses you get.

#2 Posted: 1/3/2010 - 00:38

• SpenceH

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

None at the moment mate :-(

#3 Posted: 1/3/2010 - 02:36

• amylou

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2009

Hi Spencer, I am a 25 year old female with a similar plan to you - just booked my flights and I arrive in Thailand 24th April. I have 8 weeks of exploring Laos, Cambodia & Vietnam before flying back to the UK.

I am also VERY nervous (excited too) and hoping to meet people to travel with along the way! Do you have any tours booked at all or are you going to make your way around yourself?

Cheers Amy

#4 Posted: 1/3/2010 - 04:20

• shadek

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009

Hi guys,

I've been doing the same, arrived in BKK on the 17th Feb and am now in Phuket, from where I will head to Phi Phi tmw morning. I'm a 30yo female, traveling solo for the first time in Asia, and I had all the same feelings, but it's been great. Ive only been to Thailand so far, but it's very easy to travel around the country. The people are nice, helpful, and sure, there are many touts, but you just walk on them. I heard from other travellers that Cambodia should be a bit different, but not a big deal, and people will try to genuinely help you as much as they can.

Do your homework, be grateful for the opportunity to be doing that and enjoy the travel! It's a wonderful and life-changing experience, at least it's been for me.

#5 Posted: 1/3/2010 - 20:45

• SpenceH

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Hey Shad - thanks for the info and tips.. I'm planning it - but not planning too much. I will just go with the flow I think..
    How long have you been there for?? Im so excited... Only 14 days to go and i'm away.. Ok, its only 7 weeks, but... I might not come back if I enjoy it that much :-)

AmyLou - I've planned bits of it. Mainly the route I plan to take and the things I would like to see... The rest SHOULD (hopefully) fall into place...
    Humm.. I might be out there the same time (well ish) or in the same area.. I could give you some tips bearing in mind I will nearly be finished my travels....
    OR.. I might do it all over again straight away lol.. There is a massive pull to stay out there longer....

I've put my email address on my first post.. Feel free to email me should you prefer that.

A very excited Spencer :-)

Ohh - I think I need to hand my notice in with work also.. God im SO not orginased

#6 Posted: 2/3/2010 - 00:53

• SpenceH

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Tell a lie
    I didnt put my email address but anyone can email me with thoughts or suggestions

Spencer_holl@hotmail.co.uk

#7 Posted: 2/3/2010 - 00:53

• wanderlust

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2010

Spencer and Amy,
    I;m in similar situation as you (and also nervous and excited, but Cambodia can be a bit dicey I heard). right now planning to arrive in BKK on April 24 and then happy to move on to Angkor Wat as early as April 25 with some travel companions (ie taking bus or train is fine as long as you're not alone I think, then it's less likely you get scammed by border guards, fake or real, etc.; supposedly the road has improved a lot after it was voted the top ten worst road worldwide lol; however, one thing to avoid are the prepackaged tours from BKK apparently, since they can be a scam and/or take forever and it's much better to do it yourself). Let me know if you can wait that long :-)

planning to move on to South of Thailand after that, perhaps via detour through Malaysia/KUL ( but at the moment I'm only worried about that trip to Angkor Wat, which I wouldn't wanna do alone by land). Or are there good beaches in cambodia? u can email me directly at JBfilms123@yahoo.com
    Safe travels,
    JB

#8 Posted: 12/3/2010 - 03:06

• Jbarry

Joined Travelfish
    11th March, 2010

Hey everyone,
    I am traveling through Thailand and Cambodia from april 6th through the 20th. I am a 34 year old male from Chicago and have traveled all over the world. Although I have never backpacked through SE asia, I have been there before. I will be flying into Bangkok tomorrow night and plan on maybe going to Cambodia (ankor Wat) the following day. When I go back to Thailand within a day or so, I plan on trying to see Ko Sumaei (spelling?), Ko Phi Ngan and perhaps Chaing MAi. If you anyone is interested in hooking up I will check the message board when I can.
    Jason

#9 Posted: 6/4/2010 - 03:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Solo Female Traveller March-April ... By escape4ever on 29 Jan 2012 22 2590 26 Mar 2012
Solo traveller in Thailand, end of March!! Advice needed! ... By Talv on 13 Jan 2014 5 837 14 Jan 2014
23/Male Solo Traveller - Arriving in Bangkok 1st March. ... By shivanz on 17 Feb 2014 0 474 17 Feb 2014
Please help...first time solo traveller... ... By gabr13L on 15 Mar 2012 8 3082 23 Mar 2012
First Time Solo Traveller!!!CANT WAIT!!! ... By SIMONL on 19 Oct 2013 3 1929 23 Oct 2013
First time solo traveller jan 2013 ... By luke89 on 3 Jan 2013 7 1146 14 Jan 2013
Help! Itinerary check for a first time solo traveller! ... By y123 on 22 Feb 2011 6 4224 25 Feb 2011
Solo first time Traveller to Thailand from November onwards. Looking for advise and company :) ... By rubyforanparkin on 15 Jul 2012 11 3617 22 Jul 2012
Travel companions, SE Asia, March - May ... By magella82 on 17 Feb 2010 8 2341 7 Apr 2010
Travel companions starting March 25 - April 9 ... By wheretonext on 7 Mar 2013 0 553 7 Mar 2013