Travel deals forum

My flight is cancelled!

• susantsao2

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2010

Being a fairly new traveler I am trying to find out if my treatment on my latest flights was the norm for airlines. My return flight home was cancelled for two consecutive days. The only thing I was offered was a discounted room voucher and a booking on another flight another day later. No food vouchers or even credit on future flight, as I finally had to rent a car to get home due to time limitations. Is there any other recourse I can try. The airline has responded that they can offer me nothing.

#1 Posted: 23/3/2010 - 17:03

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Travel insurance should cover any expenses incurred as a result of this sort of thing. (I received payment for a claim once when our flights were cancelled due to extreme bad weather leaving us stranded on a Fiji Island. Yes, there were worse places to be!). They paid out on additional accommodation, food and even ridiculously high hotel internet and phone charges that we had to pay to contact airlines, insurance company, etc.)

What airline, out of curiosity? Air Asia have cancelled some flights recently and there has been discussion here about that. Just wondering if it's the same airline.

You could also try writing a letter of complaint to the company - that sometimes results in additional compensation.

#2 Posted: 23/3/2010 - 18:13

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hello,

I have a friend who was flying from Goa with Virgin Atlantic, the flight was overbooked, the airline asked who wouldn't mind to go on the next day and paid a night at Hilton hotel, meals included plus gave a massive discount on a future flight (50%?). I know from experience that Air France, in these cases, gives you between 500-700 euros plus hotel bill.

#3 Posted: 23/3/2010 - 19:34

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Sounds like you've been flying a Chinese Airline. It's fairly common for them to cancel without any help afterward, especially if you book through an agency and not directly with the airline (eLong, Ctrip) - the tickets are always discounted and usually fully non-refundable/non-insured. When flights get canceled there is usually a stampede trying to rebook and if you're really really lucky they will bring a new airplane . . . but you'll wait 8 hours and probably get a bottle of water for your trouble.

Though China Southern did give us a 100 RMB rebate - you simply had to photocopy every important document given to you since you arrived in China, every document concerning your trip, and then mail a registered envelop to them within 14 days.

#4 Posted: 24/3/2010 - 08:06

• dasankita

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2011

Hi all,
    Sometime it happens with us. Having travel insurance keeps us safe from these kind of situations.

#5 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 13:27

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Travel insurance helps you out in these cases and it doesn't cost much to get it.

Air France didn't gave me **** back in '99 so I will never fly with them again.
    Etihad on the other hand gave me business class tickets to fly so that was a gift from about 4000 € in total :). can't complain about that. I'm flying with Etihad for the last 3 years and never had anything better.

What you can do is write a letter to the manager from the airline. that's something that worked out for my parents with Virgin Atlantic.
    Still curious what airline you where on. I guess Air china as Casey says.
    Sometimes you just have to deal with it.

#6 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 14:34

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

If you gave more specific details, we might be able to answer intelligently. Business practices in certain countries does protect you in addition to travel insurance. The policy I follow is to purchase travel from reliable sources and not to always look for the lowest price deal from some fly-by-night airline or consolidator.

#7 Posted: 15/10/2012 - 11:35

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

yousaf is a spammer - only posting to direct traffic to his link. Yes, I've reported it, but Somtam must be busy lying in a hammock somewhere :-)

#8 Posted: 15/10/2012 - 14:19

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

For flights leaving or arriving in EU. the following might be helpful.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

#9 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 06:58

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Avoid bloody Batavia Air in Indonesia at all costs! Went to Makassar airport today only to find out that my flight had been cancelled without any warning whatsoever. Batavia had both my phone no and email address but didn't bother letting me know, just handed me my money back. No alternative flights available today so I miss a ferry connection and have to rethink my whole trip. Good job it wasn't very tightly planned anyway and I have a plan B, C, D, E to fall back on! But it's annoying. If you need to get a domestic flight in Indonesia, Garuda, Srijiwaya, Mandala and Lion Air are the most reliable companies. (And Air Asia but they only have a limited number of routes).

#10 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 06:59

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Batavia Air
    Just looked them up and had a wry smile when I saw their motto is:
    Trust Us To Fly

So they won't be getting your endorsement SBE.

#11 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 08:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.